SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another fake Native American bit the dust
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another fake Native American bit the dust Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...an-identity-n2620707

University President on Paid Leave After Claiming Indigenous Identity

Madeline Leesman | March 17, 2023 11:15 AM

The president of Memorial University of Newfoundland went on paid leave after she became caught up in a scandal surrounding her claims of her Indigenous heritage.

President Vianne Timmons’ paid leave from the university came after a report from Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) that questioned claims that Timmons was of Native American descent. The report was “prompted by questions raised by individuals, including those in Indigenous communities, across Canada,” it state. Specifically, the article was aimed at figuring out if Timmons' Indigenous identity opened any doors for her professionally. In the article, she claimed that it never did.

After the article questioning her heritage was released, Timmons issued a statement where she apologized and said that she will step back from her role from the university temporarily.

"While I have shared that I am not Mi'kmaw and I do not claim an Indigenous identity, questions about my intentions in identifying my Indigenous ancestry and whether I have benefited from sharing my understanding of my family's history have sparked important conversations on and beyond our campus," Timmons wrote in a statement released this week. "I have been reflecting on this feedback from the Indigenous community, and I sincerely regret any hurt or confusion sharing my story may have caused. That was never my intention and I deeply apologize to those I have impacted."

CBC reported that the paid leave will last six weeks. In the meantime, the university will “[gather] Indigenous leaders” to discuss how to handle the controversy. The outlet noted that Timmons previously claimed to be Mi’kmaw, and believes that Indigenous “ancestry” and “identity” are not the same.

“I am wholeheartedly supportive of this process to seek Indigenous guidance and knowledge. Indigenous Peoples must lead this conversation and we all have a role to play in listening and ensuring their voices are elevated in the weeks to come,” she added.

According to Fox News, Timmons explained that she joined the Bras d’Or Mi’kmaq First Nation tribe around 2009 when her brother submitted their genealogy. Reportedly, the tribe is not recognized by Native Americans or the federal government.

"But then I looked into it on my own and I didn't feel comfortable identifying as a member of a band that wasn't official or as a member of a band anyway because I was not raised Mi'kmaw and so I removed it and never referred to it again," Timmons said in a statement.

However, CBC News reported that it found “multiple references” of her Indigenous identity in her professional biographies, including for an advisory board, up until 2018.

This isn’t the first time a university figure has been suspected of fabricating their Native American heritage. In 2021, a Canadian academic, Carrie Bourassa, claimed to be Metis, Anishinaabe and Tlingit, but an investigation done by her colleagues found “no evidence that she had any indigenous ancestry.”

Q

Posts: 26522 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"I have been reflecting on this feedback from the Indigenous community, and I sincerely regret any hurt or confusion sharing my story may have caused. That was never my intention and I deeply apologize to those I have impacted."

Let's run that through the Leftist Translator: "Shit! umm Merde! I'm busted! I fear I'm never going to work again!"

These people are completely full of shit at all times and in all ways.

Posts: 107763 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
and believes that Indigenous “ancestry” and “identity” are not the same.

And here we go with the whole “identify” bullshit again.

All morning I have been identifying as a billionaire. For some strange reason my bank account didn’t change.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
and believes that Indigenous “ancestry” and “identity” are not the same.

And here we go with the whole “identify” bullshit again.

All morning I have been identifying as a billionaire. For some strange reason my bank account didn’t change.

This mental illness just keeps progressing despite the left’s assertions that they “follow the science”. Every day that passes proves that they do the exact opposite.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15636 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do hope a day of reckoning for those that "Identify as" or "My pronoun(s) is/are" happens in my lifetime. I really want to see it all unfold and the meltdown will be spectacular.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Remember that caustic fake Indian Ward Churchill? Do we see a pattern forming here?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29736 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Why is it okay for a white man to identify as a white woman, but not as an indigenous woman?

I need a chart to navigate today’s acceptable delusions.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why hasn't Elizabeth Warren 1/1024 native American been thrown out of office yet?

Let's all claim Native American and then let the govt prove us wrong. Overwhelm the system. Turnabout is fair play.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
So she's sitting home getting paid while they sort this crap out? What a freakin' joke!

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1869 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
What I appreciate about these identity warriors is as they talk they weave their own nooses. Let them talk all they want, the truth will out.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
"I have been reflecting on this feedback from the Indigenous community, and I sincerely regret any hurt or confusion sharing my story may have caused. That was never my intention and I deeply apologize to those I have impacted."

Let's run that through the Leftist Translator: "Shit! umm Merde! I'm busted! I fear I'm never going to work again!"

These people are completely full of shit at all times and in all ways.

They are full of shit and have no shame.

Posts: 7024 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Remember that caustic fake Indian Ward Churchill? Do we see a pattern forming here?

I think it all started with the fake crying Indian in the early 70s anti-pollution ads.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
But but …I have high cheekbones.

0:01

Posts: 4217 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Elizabeth Warren, aka Fauxahauntus, 1/1024 indigenous. Senator for life in Massachusetts.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's the scoreboard for these Pretendians...

Ward Churchill
Rachel Dolezall
Iron Eyes Cody (Espera Oscar de Corti)
Sacheen Littlefeather (Maria Louisa Cruz)
Elizabeth Warren

Posts: 14703 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Every politician or university prof that claims Native American ancestry should be required to take a DNA test to validate the claim.

Governments and Universities the ones that shout the loudest about this being problematic should do it to cleanse these charlatans from their staff,

They don't want people faking heritage, it denigrates the Native Americans, like calling your team the Indians or Redskins that they so dislike.

Posts: 23603 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...an-identity-n2620707

University President on Paid Leave After Claiming Indigenous Identity

"While I have shared that I am not Mi'kmaw and I do not claim an Indigenous identity, questions about my intentions in identifying my Indigenous ancestry and whether I have benefited from sharing my understanding of my family's history have sparked important conversations on and beyond our campus," Timmons wrote in a statement released this week. "I have been reflecting on this feedback from the Indigenous community, and I sincerely regret any hurt or confusion sharing my story may have caused. That was never my intention and I deeply apologize to those I have impacted."

Another Fauxcahauntus. Roll Eyes

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10214 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post