SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Annual pheasant hunter invasion of South Dakota in progress :)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annual pheasant hunter invasion of South Dakota in progress :) Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Any here coming for the great pheasant hunting?

The 2022 ring-necked pheasant hunting season will last more than 100 days from Saturday, Oct. 15 to Tuesday, Jan. 31.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Such a beautiful bird, tastes as good as it looks!

I used to hunt around Tyndall & Yankton.

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've often said that if there were only one type of hunting I could do it would be birds.

Where I grew up, we were surrounded by farmers' fields and they were full of pheasants and Hungarian partridge. I have many memories of coming home after school and walking those stubble fields and wind rows with my Brittany Spaniel Misty and kicking up birds. I got pretty dang good with that old Stevens 20ga before graduating to a Wingmaster.

Sadly, those fields are now subdivisions, and places to find birds around these parts are few and far between.

I've been over to eastern WA and done quite well, but I'd love to do a trip to SD.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Central Nebraska and Pheasent season was a ritual.
Started as a bird chaser @ 9.
Got my Mossberg 20ga. super single @ 11.
Hunted every season until I left in '75.
If it was a good day for birds, school didn't matter.

Posts: 369 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have a group of friends and family that do a hunt just about every year in Miller. Seventeen of us are scheduled to arrive and hunt over Veteran’s Day weekend. I’m hearing reports that the birds are plentiful this year.

Posts: 2971 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
God help me I love pheasant (and quail) hunting over well trained dogs. Sadly, unless it's near home such hunts are history for me. You boys enjoy one of the best fall activities.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bird, state and Governor. I’m jealous.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
In the 70's, driving from PA to MD, it was like a glass wall at the border. You would see pheasants flying across the road and an occasional dead pheasant in the road in PA but nothing in MD.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite activities and even better eating.

Posts: 12475 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Doing some refresher work with my girl before season starts. It’s quail and woodcock for us though.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I had some good dogs and lived back east, pheasant hunting was my favorite hunting. ( I suck at shooting shotguns so lots of misses and follow ups) but appreciating the work of the dogs and having a great bird for the table was something special.

Unfortunately pheasants which were very abundant in the 50’s 60’s and early 70’s in my native western NY took a drastic downturn in population and the hunting was pretty much limited to stocked birds from the state. Then the state started decreasing the breed and release program and that was the end of that. Since moving to Arizona it simply isn’t the climate for it. Also sadly my dogs have gone over the bridge and it isn’t the same without your dog

Posts: 3299 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Pheasant hunting was a true passion for me. alas, despite managing two different properties for pheasants for decades, we have no birds left. when my last German Wirehaired Pointer died, i didn't look for a replacement. Back when my wife was writing and doing her weekly outdoors radio show, the nice people at the SD DNR invited her every year to come and hunt and do stories. Never made it out.

Posts: 11234 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Up here, Its Ruffed Grouse.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We live in South Plains of Texas. Back in the late '50's and early '60's my Dad and some of his friends would go to Kansas every year and hunt pheasants. They noticed several simularities between the two areas and wondered if pheasants would live and thrive in our area. They began to talk to Parks and Wildlife personnel...then they talked to area farmers about leaving areas that were suitable for the pheasants to live and nest in. Several pairs of the birds were brought and released. Long story short the pheasants loved the area and thrived. Today they are everywhere in the area. As a matter of fact my two oldest grandsons have set up a guide service that has has people coming in from all over and paying to hunt the 'em.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 728 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven’t asked permission to walk a field in a long time. I wonder if farmers & ranchers are as nice as when I was hunting.

We always asked if landowners wanted any dressed out birds, sometimes yes, or at times no. Loved it!!

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
I haven’t asked permission to walk a field in a long time. I wonder if farmers & ranchers are as nice as when I was hunting.

We always asked if landowners wanted any dressed out birds, sometimes yes, or at times no. Loved it!!

We used to pheasant hunt in Iowa and South Dakota. The permission to hunt plan definitely evolved from the 80s to the 90s. When we started, you'd probably get 90% approval. By the end, it was more like 10% would let you go on without paying. The farmers all realized that it was a source of income and guys in the state for the weekend would pay $100/gun to walk around. That price kept going up as they managed more of the land for that purpose by leaving cover strips, etc.

There may still be a few that will let you walk on for free, but not nearly the way it was.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Sitting in the airport now awaiting a flight to Rapid City. Hunt opening weekend with my dad and a group of about 14 guys every year. Trained a lab a brought him out a couple times (don't have time to do the drive to take him this year, hopefully next).
Tomorrow morning, we will drive from Rapid City to Kimball, stopping at Wall Drug for breakfast. LOVE SOUTH DAKOTA!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
We used to pheasant hunt in Iowa and South Dakota. The permission to hunt plan definitely evolved from the 80s to the 90s. When we started, you'd probably get 90% approval. By the end, it was more like 10% would let you go on without paying. The farmers all realized that it was a source of income and guys in the state for the weekend would pay $100/gun to walk around. That price kept going up as they managed more of the land for that purpose by leaving cover strips, etc.

There may still be a few that will let you walk on for free, but not nearly the way it was.

Eastern MT has gotten the same way. Used to be when asking permission on the ranches out there, the response we'd get was "knock yourself out, just don't shoot any of my cows." Nowadays, nobody is granting permission as most of them have deals set up with outfitters.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I have fond memories of growing up in SoDak and pheasant hunting back in the late 50's and 60's. This was during the time of the soil banks and farmers didn't get their corn all picked until early December, so there was an abundance of cover and food for the bird which translated into lots of birds. Then things started changing, soil banks were plowed under and converted to cropland, farmers got more efficient in getting their crops in before the first snow and the birds started to become harder to find. With the birds becoming harder to find the 'out of state' money spenders got wise and started contracting with farmers to limit access to their more productive pheasant areas to these 'special hunting' groups. The smaller farmers not to be out done got the State involved and laws were passed making it almost impossible for the individual or small group hunters find a place to hunt. Road hunting, which was popular when I was growing up, is now almost a thing of the past because of these stricter trespassing regs.

Looking back in retrospect, one of the things I noticed about this commercialization and control, the more commercialized and regulated pheasant hunting became, the fewer birds there seemed to be and now the only ones who seem to enjoy pheasant season are the out of state hunters.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2094 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've hunted pheasant in Kansas, never made it up to North or South Dakota. Bird hunting is by far my most favorite type of hunting.
Sadly, more and more it's becoming a rich man's sport just like deer hunting has become around here. Long gone are the days when you could simply ask a farmers permission to hunt or find a reasonably priced lease.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3546 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post