SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Say, Floridians who live in the lower two-thirds of your state...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Say, Floridians who live in the lower two-thirds of your state... Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Is it true there are vast areas of uninhabited land where one may take their firearms and shoot them unmolested err undisturbed?

Posts: 107657 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
We talking unmolested by people, or unmolested by gators?

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Minimal gators

Zero people

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Panhandle has a population of gators greater than minimal.

Pythons now occupy a greater than minimal portion of the area you mention.

From my experience, yes there are vast areas without people, but it’s covered in 6”+ of water and the aforementioned wildlife, any area of central to southern Florida that can be drained and turned into condos has been.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6333 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Beware of Florida man, gunshots are a mating call

Posts: 5338 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And mosquitos, everywhere, nothing I ever put on kept the buggers away.

As a teenager and then a young man after returning from the Army, my buds and I would go out in the western or central part of the glades to hunt or just shoot. Don't think, as an older fella now, I'd do that.

Hickey Creek is just a few miles east of Fort Myers, but I don't think you are allowed to shoot there anymore. And there's a lot more people in that area than 50-60 years ago.

I believe I'd write the southern part of Florida off the list for what you have in mind. Hope you find a place to do that, though.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Not legal per F.S. 790.15

quote:
790.15 Discharging firearm in public or on residential property.—
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street, who knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises, or who recklessly or negligently discharges a firearm outdoors on any property used primarily as the site of a dwelling as defined in s. 776.013 or zoned exclusively for residential use commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Florida Forest Service.

There are a fair number of public ranges on public lands, but general public land shooting is prohibited. I believe this is the case because (i) there isn't much public land in Florida where you can see far enough to know there's no one "out there" (unlike the western desert) and (ii) there have been people killed in the state doing things like fishing, from careless public land shooters.

It's fairly easy to have a range on your own property if your area has a density of less than 1 house per acre. For example, my area is zoned 1 house to 5 acres and almost everyone out here has a range on their own property. So c'mon down, buy more than an acre out in the county, and have your own range!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12785 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I got plenty of folks who own acreage, who are happy to let you blast away.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5133 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
We did a road trip in 2010 where we drove completely around the coast of Florida, or as near as reasonably possible on public roads... Part of a bucket list item of mine is to drive the entire border of the lower 48. (not all at once) After Camping on Sanibel Island we went on further south and then east over to the east coast.

There were huge areas of jack shit except for mosquitoes in Southern Fl except for along the coast. Salt water mosquitoes the locals called them. I think even the gators stayed hid from them! You could not get out of the car just to grab a photo even if soaked in Off and with a can in each hand! It would look like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's the birds.

We drove through the Everglades Park I think it was and you could go for miles and miles and not see another car. We had planned on camping at a campground at the Southern most tip (mainland, not the Keys) but had to abandon that plan after talking to the managers there. They said, pitch your tent as fast as possible, get in and don't come out until morning! Or just sleep in your car. They did also say that the wind speed and direction had a lot to do with how bad they were. We drove on to Homestead and got a room for the night...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to be able to do it around Lake Okeechobee, (into the berm), in certain parts.

Posts: 6893 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
There were huge areas of jack shit except for mosquitoes in Southern Fl except for along the coast. Salt water mosquitoes the locals called them. I think even the gators stayed hid from them! You could not get out of the car just to grab a photo even if soaked in Off and with a can in each hand! It would look like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's the birds.
So, you're saying there are some challenges which need to be worked through.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Are you looking to buy some land to put a private range on your self?
A friend who own 5 acres in unincorporated Polk County built himself a 25 yard range in his back yard.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, I don't even live in Florida. Big Grin

Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
So were going to need to let this thread marinade. The Old Bird wants to suck some more creativity out of us before showing his hand.

Carry on folks, this guy plays a loooooong game

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5133 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Please carry on. I'm planning on living somewhere in the lower 2/3rds of Fl in about 23 months.

Posts: 3462 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m on ~3 acres in unincorporated county in the panhandle. Neighbors are all 1+ acre each. And zoned AG which I also believe is part of the rule. I haven’t had the nuts to try shooting into my woods yet. Maybe when the suppressor stamp gets approved for the .22. I occasionally hear neighbors doing mag dumps though

Posts: 4776 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Is it true there are vast areas of uninhabited land where one may take their firearms and shoot them unmolested err undisturbed?

Not true unless you own/lease land. Big Sugar owns a lot of land. Then there’s the phosphate mines, cattle ranches, citrus groves, and other agriculture. South of Big Sugar’s land are a couple of swampy areas like Big Cypress and the Everglades. The Seminole and Miccosukee Indians have some land as well.

I don’t know much about it, but there’s a place called River Ranch. Not the resort, but the other River Ranch.

Posts: 10975 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
When you looking to move Mr. Mike?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6333 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The only place that I know of for shooting on public land is the range in the Ocala National Forest. I shot there once, with a handful of SIGforum folks.

https://myfwc.com/hunting/safe...ooting-ranges/ocala/

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30704 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Not very legal, honestly. Not a lot of public land. There are huge swaths of forest and swamp land and I have heard that people shoot in the state and or national forest way out in the boonies.

I have a fenced in 1000 acre nature preserve directly behind my house and I go out there and shoot sometimes... not legal, but no one around.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post