SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two DOE security experts left plutonium & radioactive cesium in their rental car at a hotel in a high-crime neighborhood. Someone stole it.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two DOE security experts left plutonium & radioactive cesium in their rental car at a hotel in a high-crime neighborhood. Someone stole it. Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
:
But when they stopped at a Marriott hotel just off Highway 410, in a high-crime neighborhood filled with temp agencies and ranch homes...

I never knew ranch style homes were a sign you were in the ghetto.

Maybe they meant trailer park homes.

Posts: 33874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Not sure what type of equipment they had, but here's an example of a calibration sample that is of the type generally exempt from NRC licensing:

While they were clearly irresponsible in handling the material, I'm not preparing to head for the bunker yet.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Well if someone would check the surrounding security videos for a DeLorean, there may be a clue found though the car won't be too far away, like three or four years one way or the other. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
There have been a number of vehicle thefts with dangerous radioactive material inside in third world countries.
Some children were hurt or killed from one in South America years ago but so far no terrorist related stuff.

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
:
But when they stopped at a Marriott hotel just off Highway 410, in a high-crime neighborhood filled with temp agencies and ranch homes...

I never knew ranch style homes were a sign you were in the ghetto.

It is when you are a high paid Government Security Expert. Roll Eyes

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6491 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

That whole situation reminds me of a Saturday night live comedy skit.

a few decades ago, SNL was actually funny, and this would have been as well

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53232 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The thieves ought to be easy enough to find in the dark, though.

Posts: 17151 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two security experts

Yep

Posts: 7022 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well to be fair, nuclear instruments are generally forbidden to be kept in hotel rooms, at least that is how construction nuclear soil density meters are treated. My guess is these calibration samples are like when some national guardsman misplaces a case of 5.56 ammo, are they accountable? Yes. Is it the end of the world? Probably not. Remember that nuclear materials are used in all sorts of industries, such as what powers our night sights. I would hope that if they found some real stuff it would be transported properly but then again you never know.

Posts: 314 | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post