SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can you eat a whole banana?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you eat a whole banana? Login/Join 
Picture of SigMaverick
posted
Regular grocery store variety.

Can you eat the skin and all?

I am not wondering if it is edible in a ShoeNice way.

But is there any real value in eating the skin.

If not all the skin, what about scraping the inside of the skin down and eating that? My guess would be that has to have some caloric value.

Just had a banana and wondered.

--------------------------

I own a bunch of Sigs with Beavertails...

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Never tried.

My big worry would be whether I could wash it well enough to get rid of whatever pesticides/etc. are on the skin of the banana.

Posts: 3731 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
The skin of the banana would be pretty nasty and probably I don't know if it could even be digested.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
We have a banana expert here on SIGforum. Waiting for him to check in on this thread.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Anxiously awaiting input from sigmonkey...

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/bananus

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15901 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
even monkeys & chimps peel their bananas. Seems to have occurred naturally to them so maybe that's telling us something.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Banana peels are not poisonous. In fact, they're edible and packed with nutrients. "Banana peel is eaten in many parts of the world, though [it's] not very common in the West," Flores said. "It contains high amounts of vitamin B6 and B12, as well as magnesium and potassium.

According to GOOGLE. Waiting on sig monkey for the definitve report.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
There was a video of a pro or college football player last year, cannot recall who it was, that eats the whole banana, peel and all.

Posts: 2307 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I forget the question my daughter was trying to answer, but remember a science fair project with banana skin left outside to rot/go away, etc. It took literally forever. I think we may have eventually just tossed it in the trash or deeper into the woods etc. Therefore - my conclusion is: pretty undigestible by most things. May not hurt you, but would probably pass thru as undigestible fiber. I wouldn't want it passing thru me....

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love bananas and have one on my cereal every morning, but I hate banana “strings,” so eating the whole thing doesn’t sound very appetizing to me.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5165 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
A monkey never considers eating the banana peel, wearing Crocs, Birkenstocks or white after Labor Day.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43907 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
You can eat the banana flowers. I have seen these at asian food stores but have not tried cooking banana flowers, yet.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/...nana-flowers-4065642

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone think of eating a banana peel? Whatever nutrients they may contain are found in some other food sources I'm sure that are more palatable.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Haven’t you guys ever heard of Mellow Yellow?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You’re supposed to keep the stringy part and dry it out. Then you smoke it.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Not sure about eating them but I know they can be smoked...in between meals Big Grin

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Asian elephants eat the entire banana whole. Actually, entire bunches whole. I witnessed this in Thailand, years ago.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I suppose it would depend upon what the banana was used for before you ate it?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't an elephant eat a whole orange, honeydew melon, watermelon, etc. as well? Rind and all?

What animals eat and don't eat aren't necessarily a good indicator of what your stomach could..... stomach. lol

I think it would be incredibly hard for you to digest.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post