SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Maraschino Cherries, who knew there was a difference?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maraschino Cherries, who knew there was a difference? Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
If you like maraschino cherries, you should never know how they're made. I'll save you the gory details. Let's just say the only thing left from the original cherry is the shape.

Real maraschino cherries (Luxardo, who invented them) are just marasca cherries candied in sugar and marasca cherry juice.

The bright red ones are the "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" version.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
This thread inspires me... I think I'll try to make a real batch of maraschino cherries.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
As others have said, in an Old Fashioned or Manhattan I wouldn't have anything else. Flavor is more intense than the candy apple red things they call cherries.

Yep. We soak the cheaper ones in whiskey or bourbon for a tasty treat

Posts: 5360 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post