SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Maraschino Cherries, who knew there was a difference?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maraschino Cherries, who knew there was a difference? Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
As a kid, I always remember getting a Shirley Temple when my parents took us to a nice restaurant.

I always loved getting to the Maraschino cherry.

Fast forward to two years ago. I discovered I like having a Diet Coke with 5-7 Maraschino cherries.

Since then, I have been buying the regular, store bought cherries.

visiting the Party Source in Newport, KY while my children were home for Christmas. My children both told me I had to try the Luxardo Maraschino cherries. WTH? I'll give 'em a try.

Certainly different than what I was use to. Not better, not worse, just different and not red.

Anyone else eat the Luxardo Maraschino cherries?

Any other Maraschino cherries you can recommend?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy hem in a drink. A little pricey but a nice change.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Haven't had marachino cherries in ages so when we bought some this holiday season it was the old supermarket standby Marios (around $2/jar if memory serves). They were tiny and soft. Memory was of larger firm pieces of fruit. All were very disappointed.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16260 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I have the luxardos for my Old Fashioneds. Yum.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30447 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
Love the Luxardo cherries in my Manhattans at home. BUT, rather pricey. I have tried and also enjoy the Amarena cherries from Trader Joe's. MUCH more economical, and but for the stems they leave on them - for effect I suppose - they are a great substitute.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I’ve been making old fashioned with Luxardo cherries for years. Highly superior to the weird red dyed maraschino cherries.

I have to say, I’ll never go back.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Luxardo and Amarena are great. Have a friend who makes her own. I use them more on ice cream than for cocktails.

Posts: 4284 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
We make marascara cherries for our ice cream. Luxardos are good, but not quite right for ice cream

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
If you like maraschino cherries, you should never know how they're made. I'll save you the gory details. Let's just say the only thing left from the original cherry is the shape.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Try the luxardo over premium vanilla ice cream.

Posts: 7485 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Been using Luxardo cherries for years in my manhattans. Tried the Trader Joe ones, not the same.
Also gotta have Carpano Antica sweet vermouth in my manhattans Wink

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
Luxardo cherries are usually $20 plus a jar. Amazon has them for 3 for $43 shipped. They are the best cherries.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Makers Mark brand cherries are also out there. Good luck finding them in any less than a well stocked liquor store. Like Liquor City named above.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’ll eat any cherry if it’s soaked in liquor.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17308 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
doesn’t matter the brand. We get a jar and dump the syrup and refill with hi proof rum like Bacardi 151 or similar. Makes for a fun treat in a cocktail.

Posts: 4785 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got talked sternly to more than once by my grandmother for eating all her cherries that were supposed to be for her daily old fashions a kid Smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6238 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the bright red USA maraschino cherries. But the Luxardo ones are very good as a change, they're really nice on top of cheesecake and things like that.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
I went through a serious Manhattan phase a year or so ago and I tried every kind of maraschino cherry I could find. I liked Amarena Fabri the best. Available on Amazon.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
As others have said, in an Old Fashioned or Manhattan I wouldn't have anything else. Flavor is more intense than the candy apple red things they call cherries.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a family German Sheppard, great dog and super smart, but would eat anything. My mom had baked a pineapple upside down cake, and in each ring of pineapple she would put a maraschino cherry. So, we all leave the house and the fresh baked cake is cooling on the counter. Come home to find the pan in the middle of the living room, empty, but next to the pan was a small, perfect pile of maraschino cherries. All but one was in the pile.

Always wondered about that, animals are pretty smart, would have loved to seen him spitting each one out. I stayed away from maraschino cherries after that.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post