SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Tap Water Quality Testing Questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Tap Water Quality Testing Questions Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
So my wife has been complaining for years about having hard water and how it impacts her hairdo.

We thought about adding a water softener but I thought we’d be first be better off to have the water tested.

When leaving Home Depot recently I noticed they had a free water testing display right by the exit. I grabbed one of the pre-addressed envelope kits, ran tap water in the enclosed bottle, and dropped it in the mail.

Naturally I figured that it was a company sponsoring the testing to ultimately sell me something. However, I didn’t care because I was curious about the results.

They just called and told me they ran two tests. For mineral hardness 3 to 5 grains is ideal and we were 13 grains. For total dissolved solids she told me 150 ppm was ideal and we were at 223 ppm.

Now comes the sales pitch because she said they can do a full test via a home visit by a technician. Home Depot pays for the further testing and he/she can also provide corrective actions.

Hopefully some of you will know based upon the numbers I gave above whether or not we do have an issue or not? Then if yes, would you invite them to do a full test by the technician?

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a water scientist, and I work in the area of drinking water quality.

For total dissolved solids (TDS), according to the World Health Organization:

"The palatability of drinking-water has been rated by panels of tasters in relation to its TDS level as follows: excellent, less than 300 mg/litre; good, between 300 and 600 mg/litre; fair, between 600 and 900 mg/litre; poor, between 900 and 1200 mg/litre;and unacceptable, greater than 1200 mg/litre"

So 223 ppm (mg/L) is still excellent.

According to the National Research Council (National Academy of Sciences; I worked there from 1998 to 2005): "Hard water is not a health hazard. In fact, hard drinking water generally contributes a small amount toward total calcium and magnesium human dietary needs."

However, your water is VERY HARD, and probably could/should be softened.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
h2oys,
We are blessed with multiple rivers nearby. We have pretty good water here.
But apparently there is a difference in total dissolved solids (TDS) from the Missouri to the Meramec. So it depends somewhat on the source.

http://www.amwater.com/ccr/stlouisregion.pdf

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24157 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thank you batty67 & chellim1.

I called our water company, Missouri American Water, and a water quality rep just returned my call.

She said for St. Louis County they pull from both the Missouri River and the Meramec River, but for our area of Chesterfield, our source is the MO River. She added the MO River is naturally high in calcium and magnesium.

Anna also told me their waters hardness range is 6-10 and TDS is 210 to 236. Hence per our Home Depot test results we are high on the hardness and right in the range for TDS.

Looks like a water softener is in our future.

Batty67...a quick google search tells me there are 4 types of softeners: a) Ion exchange, b)salt free, c) reverse osmosis and d) magnetic.

Which, if any, would you recommend for a tight budget minded person?

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Or you can spend $30 on a shower head water filter and be done.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
City water in Eugene (EWEB) is excellent to taste and feel good. Especially in winter when it comes out colder from the tap. Summer a little less good. And if you let it stand it loses quality. Refrigerate it right away is a good idea. Still spring water from the Cascades is better. Earth-2-O brand my favorite.
Lib as Eugene is, I am pleased with some things around here
http://www.eweb.org/Documents/...-testing-summary.pdf

Anything is better than San Jose water.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I had my dad install an ion exchange (uses “green sand” permangenate) to get iron out of my water in eastern NC....

It was worth it. Had it set up to backwash every other night and I ran that to a drain line into a ditch so that I wouldn’t be dumping bleach heavy water into my septic.

Before the water tasted like blood there was so much iron, after it was glorious and didn’t taste of chemicals.

My neighbor used salt system and his dumped into his septic and he had to have the septic pumped around every year and a half...

So what ever yo go with see if you can dump the backwash outside of your septic, if you are on one.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
1 hr and 5 minutes to get an expert answer. SIGforum is slipping...

Never ceases to amaze me. Someone thought we had an unanswerable question about light bulbs the other week. I answered it, not sure if OP ever saw my reply though.

Edit, just saw it was Batty that asked the question, weird.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
My neighbor used salt system and his dumped into his septic and he had to have the septic pumped around every year and a half...

Probably not due to the water softener system, unless it is back-washing at an unusually high rate and/or the septic tank is undersized for the home. And then the danger is as much excess water floating solids into the leach field as it upsetting the tank's ecology.

We have a traditional softener. We're on well & septic. Our softener back-washes every six-seven days. We have our septic tank pumped every three-four years. It's never been over-full.

Mind you: There is just the two of us in the home, and we're very conscientious wrt what we put down the drains. E.g.: TP only in the toilets, and single-ply at that. We use very little bleach. We don't use a garbage disposal in the kitchen and we're careful to trap as many solids as we can in the strainers. We don't wash coffee grounds into the kitchen sink (a big no-no). We wipe excess grease and oil out of pans with paper towels before washing them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'm on the Board (volunteer Treasurer) for our community water system, ~330 homes. A few things to note about water softeners. If they are salt based, you are putting all that dissolved salt into your leach field. Think about what adding 100 lbs, or more, to you leach filed is going to do long term. What happens when that salt dissolves/separates from the water.

Water hardness also lines the insides of your copper pipes (actually a good thing). This helps to keep the copper, and possibly lead, from leaching into your drinking water. Because we are a community system we are actually forced to add chemicals to our water to make it hard, based on standards from the .gov. Although we pump and treat the water out of the ground, we are ultimately responsible for the water inside your house!...We have to take samples from inside resident houses several times per year.

I've been kicking around the idea of an under sink reverse osmosis system for drinkinng water myself. Maybe later this spring.

Posts: 5765 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Probably not due to the water softener system, unless it is back-washing at an unusually high rate and/or the septic tank is undersized for the home. And then the danger is as much excess water floating solids into the leach field as it upsetting the tank's ecology.

We have a traditional softener. We're on well & septic. Our softener back-washes every six-seven days. We have our septic tank pumped every three-four years. It's never been over-full.

Mind you: There is just the two of us in the home, and we're very conscientious wrt what we put down the drains. E.g.: TP only in the toilets, and single-ply at that. We use very little bleach. We don't use a garbage disposal in the kitchen and we're careful to trap as many solids as we can in the strainers. We don't wash coffee grounds into the kitchen sink (a big no-no). We wipe excess grease and oil out of pans with paper towels before washing them.

Pretty much what we did as well at our old house. Also had RO filter in the kitchen for drinking water. Our new house is connected to sewer but find we still don't use the disposal much.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post