SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you use a password manager?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you use a password manager? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
If you mean yours is stored only on a device in your control, I'd be interested in what you recommend. Not meaning to sound flippant, I'd genuinely like to know.
A bitlocked external drive with a 30+ character password that is changed every six weeks, and that password is not stored anywhere but my cranium.

Use a phrase as a password and use a password convention consistent across password changes and you won't go wrong.

An example (with my convention removed) Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this son of York

Posts: 107728 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
KeePass here, stored offline.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Still, the security most of the popular programs employ are more secure than the note book in your desk drawer.

Well, I don’t store my list of passwords in a desk drawer that a bunch of co-workers or janitorial staff has access to. I haven’t even been able to do that since before computer passwords were something to have and keep secure.

But I can see how a manager could be important for many people, and thanks for all the replies and sort-of explanations. I understood some of what was explained, but not all, and therefore I would need a few more details if I were to seriously consider such a service for myself.

And for that consultant who was annoyed that I didn’t have them all memorized or at my fingertips via a manager when she wanted me to sign into an account from a different device that I never used, soon those of us like that won’t be around any longer to annoy you with our ancient ways. In fact, I’m a very unusual anomaly to be working at my age as it is, so if you want what I can give the organization, you’ll just have to put up with it.

Dashlane offers a free limited feature version. It does most of what the paid program offers except syncing to multiple devices and a max of 50 pass words. You also get a VPN with the paid program.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Oh, I forgot that my password vault is also protected with a Yubikey.

Posts: 45388 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Well, that and Post-It notes. Razz

Nobody but myself has access to my computer, unless someone were to break in. After I use a password long/often enough, I can remember them without external aid. To make them easier to remember, I have most of them spell out words or phrases. When capital letters, numbers or special characters are required, I work them in, e.g., numeral 1 for an I.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Pop quiz:

Q: If you store your passwords online, who has access to them?

A: Other people

encrypted, decrypted, recrypted whatever -crypted you got. If you store it online, other people have access to it.

That sir, is a fact. I use LastPass. Or should I say I am transitioning away from LastPass. They were hacked and they weren’t transparent about what was taken. Our password lockers were taken, and they still aren’t clear if the encryption key was taken too.

My locker is protected by TFA using a Ubikey. Well, when you steal the locker from the backend TFA doesn’t matter, they’re already in the locker.

So all passwords had to be changed as well as the master password for the account, etc. Now I will be transitioning to a different locker. Lots of research to do.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
LastPass for many years no, good results. I also took that opportunity to change all passwords to a strong password, each unique from all others.

Being able to share with spouse is good. Also can designate a third party with conditional access. In our case a daughter. She can attempt to login, we get a notification to decline that, and if not within a period we set, like a week, she gets access. You know, like we’re dead.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12441 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
1Password does a great job.

Unfortunately, the publisher has changed to a software rental (subscription) model.

I bought it years ago, when there was a one-time charge, so I am grandfathered, and do not have to pay again unless I choose to get the current version. No real reason to do that, the version that I paid for, years ago, still works just fine.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no

Posts: 2220 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Follow up question…

What is the primary purpose? Is it pretty much just a digital version of the book I keep in my safe?

Does it sync with other apps? For example, when I am logging onto a website that wants my password, will 1Password be where it takes its password from, or will the website still be using the Apple Keychain password manager?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12350 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Follow up question…

What is the primary purpose? Is it pretty much just a digital version of the book I keep in my safe?

Does it sync with other apps? For example, when I am logging onto a website that wants my password, will 1Password be where it takes its password from, or will the website still be using the Apple Keychain password manager?

No experience with 1Pass but use Dashlane which I assume is pretty similar.

If you're trying to get into a website you've established an account with and has been saved to your password manager, a small icon will appear in the long in fields. Just click on that and it triggers the password manager to out fill your saved long in info and pass word. If it's a new website you want to establish and account with, fill in the info they ask for, and when complete, your password manager should ask you if you want it to generate a password (recommended) which you can adjust to the requirements of the web site. Like how long, uppers and lowers, symbols etc. Then it will ask you if you want to save the long in. Yes is the best response as it saves all the log in data which of course you can delete at anytime.

Hope that helps

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Follow up question…

I’ve come to the conclusion that using a password manager is better than reusing usernames and passwords at multiple sites/apps. It’s better than writing down or keeping a spreadsheet. It also makes general password maintenance (changing passwords) easier so you’ll actually do it. It’s better than using shorter passwords you’ll remember.

I, admittedly, am taking the easy way out and using a cloud service but I will eventually switch to a self hosted version that won’t be accessible via any breach. Hopefully, before it’s necessary. However, the pros outweigh the cons and even Bitwarden can’t use your data against you. By the time a breach is announced, even if they wait, I’ll have plenty of time to change all my hundreds of passwords.

Posts: 45388 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I used LastPass since 2006. It's astonishing how many accounts you create in that time. In my case over 600. Mostly retail. With LastPass's recent issues, I'm migrated to 1Password, changing passwords as I went. That's not a trivial task.

1Password also encrypts the meta data (like the username and the URL of the site that the account is for, not just the password).

I considered all the options just a few months ago and did my homework. Also my friend, a sys admin, did the same. Bitwarden and 1Password were the top two we'd arrived on. I went with 1Password. Toss of a coin.

In a perfect world, there would be a required feature of every website to have a button for deleting the account and all personal information. I would easily trim from 600+ to less than 100. But rather than leaving dormant accounts that might be used to gather info or do something nefarious, I am faithfully working through the last of the password changes for accounts I'll never use again. Ugh

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
<snip>
I considered all the options just a few months ago and did my homework. Also my friend, a sys admin, did the same. Bitwarden and 1Password were the top two we'd arrived on. I went with 1Password. Toss of a coin.
<snip>

Was price a factor? My PW manager is mSecure (premium). $14.99 per year. Several device syncing options: Wi-Fi, Dropbox, or mSecure’s own server (no cost for that).

Also, how did mSecure (premium) come out in your PW manager homework endeavour?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9002 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
After being unsure of password managers, I've came to accept using one is better than the system I was using. After several months of research similar to the research I did for Medicare, I settled on 1Password.

You make up one password to remember (the longer, the better) coupled with a "Secret Key," the combination of which is your encryption key.

One license is for all the members of your household and each one has a personal vault. Members of a household can also share a vault such as the password to the wi-fi. When you're traveling to foreign countries or anywhere where you might be forced to open the contents of your phone, you can put a "travel" mode with hides vaults you deem as critical. Having another member in the household allows having the ability to recover your vaults should you forget your master password.

Right now, I have 401 active items stored in my account accessible via my phone, laptop, or browser. The items includes logins, credit cards, passwords, bank accounts, etc.

If you're really worried about someone getting your passwords, here's what I do which is only for accounts where my money can be taken out such as banks and brokerages: when I set up a password for a bank, I use the password that 1password suggests, have 1password record it, then I add a short string of letters or numbers that I can easily remember. That way, the password stored in 1password is not sufficient or complete.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19707 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I used LastPass since 2006. It's astonishing how many accounts you create in that time. In my case over 600. Mostly retail. With LastPass's recent issues, I'm migrated to 1Password, changing passwords as I went. That's not a trivial task.

I came from personal encoded notes to 1 Password but I understand most password managers allow exporting of passwords and importing into 1Password.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19707 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Was price a factor? My PW manager is mSecure (premium). $14.99 per year. Several device syncing options: Wi-Fi, Dropbox, or mSecure’s own server (no cost for that).

Also, how did mSecure (premium) come out in your PW manager homework endeavour?

My 1Password cost $59.85 annually for the last 2 years. It syncs across devices through their own cloud. We're not talking differences of thousands of dollars or even hundreds.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I have never stored mine online, I'm old school and unorganized I guess.

Posts: 18049 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No password manager for me. These companies have been known to get hacked. Google Chrome just saves the sites' passwords for me, and auto-fills them for me.

If Google gets hacked, that'd suck. But IMHO Google's been probably the one of top companies at the forefront of zero-day exploits. Their zero-day teams had notified many other companies, even Apple, of their discoveries of zero-day exploits. I think Google's experience of China state phishing attacks of Gmail back in 2006 or so had taught them alot, plus their reach across the internet requires them to be at the forefront in security, much more so than these much smaller password outfits.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
If you're really worried about someone getting your passwords, here's what I do which is only for accounts where my money can be taken out such as banks and brokerages: when I set up a password for a bank, I use the password that 1password suggests, have 1password record it, then I add a short string of letters or numbers that I can easily remember. That way, the password stored in 1password is not sufficient or complete.

I always us the password manager's suggested password (I'm using Dashlane) and use the longest allowable for the site with the most character types allowable. Since Dashlane (and 1Password) will fill in these passwords I don't worry about remembering them or fret about typing this long string of nonsensical characters. I change my master password monthly and it is something I can remember but follow the security suggestions on character placement. It's 16 characters long.

Dashlane, and I suspect most password managers allow you to download your password list. I do this from time to time, store it on a thumb drive with encryption and it goes in my safe. I suppose there are better places to store this drive, but it seems relatively secure to me and I like having a hard (soft) copy of my passwords.

-D.H. Lawrence