SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Canton OH police shoot man during celebratory New Years gun fire
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canton OH police shoot man during celebratory New Years gun fire Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have had the pleasure of viewing many shoot don't shoot videos. It makes it very clear that you have only seconds to react and that things are not always what they seem. The guy firing the AR could have eaily brought it down and fired through the fence. It looked like the cop only had his pistol, no patrol rifle. I am interested in what Jones and CPDsig have to say.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Who on earth thinks it's a good idea to fire into the air in suburban USA?

ANSWER - Apparently a LOT of people as new agencies across the country now have to ask people to NOT do this.

It's not a good idea

You're asked not to do it

You do it anyway....

I don't have a lot of sympathy, especially in today's society where people just start blasting at each other fo' bein' disrespected and all.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Did the cop know the idiot was just celebrating? If he didn't, then all he knew was some asshole was mag dumping an AR at something.

Fuck that fool. He got what he deserved.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
One less stupid person stealing valuable oxygen

Good outcome

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I was listening to our Sheriff's dept New years eve on the radio.
About 12:50 pm the shift supervisor for the substation that cover the most crime ridden section told his units to go somewhere and stay there until the shooting stopped.

A few minutes after midnight the dispatcher asked him if they could respond to a call yet. He said give them a few more minutes.
Dispatcher told him she had a call holding it was a 85 year old female that said he had someone in her house. They did go ahead and respond. The house was secure.

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
Some dumbass shot a .40-cal round into the air on 4th of July around here within a mile of my house a few years back and the bullet came down and killed a 7-year-old boy on the way to watch fireworks with his family. Heartbreaking.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Play stupid games - win stupid prizes.

Are you suggesting the cop was justified in blindly shooting through a six-foot-high privacy fence?

As one of the women interviewed noted "There could have been kids, anybody, back there."

Yes, the man shot was behaving stupidly. Exceedingly stupidly. But ISTM the cop behaved equally irresponsibly.

Referring to the deceased - not the Officer. And I have serious doubts that the Officer fired blindly through the fence - you can see through the gaps. Do you believe the Officer should have just assumed this guy was rattling off 5.56 for the celebratory fun of it?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My first report as a baby street cop was to take reports of vandalisms…ie rounds thru houses/trailers/cars/trucks….

For 18 years I dreaded working Jan 1..it’s so much paperwork and there is no way to solve it. The reports add to the city’s crime report stats and idiots still shoot in the air regardless.

Glad I’m retired now.

WRT to OPs post, I’d hate to be that cop..no matter what you do nowadays, you’re wrong. I know at my old department , guys just sit in their car and wait for calls for service. No more proactive anything, and you damn sure don’t want to have to shoot some slug for any reason….Reverend Soul-glow the Buffet Slayer will show up and call you racist

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post