SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LED light fixtures and CRI (Color Rendering Index)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LED light fixtures and CRI (Color Rendering Index) Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I wanted to replace my incandescent kitchen light fixture with an LED fixture. I bought this dimmable one:

www.amazon.com/dp/B088CX2QZD/r..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It was said to have a CRI of 90. The Wikipedia article about CRI:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-CRI_LED_lighting

My guess as to how a high CRI is achieved: The early LED fixtures produced only three narrow band colors: red, green, and blue. I suspect that high CRI LED light sources produce five or more colors.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8980 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My 4 year old home is full of can lights. The builder grade flourescent bulbs began burning out at the 6 month mark, and I've been replacing them with LEDs. Every room that I use the can lights (e.g. kitchen, hallway, home office, etc) is now 100% LED, and the flourescent are mainly in rooms with both can lights and ceiling fan light (mainly use this or lamps).

I've been buying 90+ CRI, 2700k LEDs from Costco. It's a really nice light color, and I like that there is instant light unlike the flourescents they replaced. It seems to be a truer color light than the warm white flourescents they replaced so perhaps this is the 90+ CRI.

I bought into the hype that bathrooms benefit from 5000k. They're the the 90+ CRI Cree bulbs from HD. I hate these bulbs so I'm betting my issue is the 5000k color not the CRI.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post