SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So are Facebook and YouTube just blurring out every Swastika now regardless of context???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So are Facebook and YouTube just blurring out every Swastika now regardless of context??? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Just scrolling through YouTube and some Forgotten Weapons videos popped up usually on the video thumbnail he includes the flag where the weapon originated. Many of which are from Nazi Germany and the Swastika is blurred on all of them. I just started noticing this the other day and have never noticed before.
Today I was scrolling through Facebook and an American History X related post came across and it was a picture of Edward Norton with his shirt off and of course in the movie he has a Swastika tattooed on his left peck and it was blurred out.

I don’t see the dude from Forgotten Weapons blurring out the Swastika because it is part of the history of the gun and makes the video thumbnail lol silly.

The FB post was discussing the movie so the Swastika serves a purpose. Being the context they are being used in they are appropriate so I guess they are just blurring them all?

What is next???

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Nazis are verboten in Germany. No free-speech there.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Ian (sp?) from Forgotten Weapons has stated before that it’s YouTube that makes him blur the swastika on the introduction flag.

There are, however, plenty of swastikas on aircraft and elsewhere in the videos themselves. I suppose it matters whether it’s on the thumbnail where someone might stumble across it and be triggered into a fit or something.

I’ve often thought that if there are any Nazis in Hell who can observe what goes on here it must be extremely gratifying, not to mention hilarious, that they still exercise such influence and power over (parts of) the world today. It’s as if every church in the land had a depiction of Satan with his face blurred out and a notice, “This guy is bad; don’t worship him.”

And what’s particularly ironic in my view are my memories as a kid of swastika displays around people who would have had good reason to be triggered or at least offended by them. In my innocence I put plenty of them in the battle scenes I drew in art class when my father was stationed in France and some of the teachers were French women who were old enough to have been there under the occupation. Later I sometimes wore my father’s souvenir swastika armband when playing war in a military housing area around other WWII veterans who would have fought the Germans like he did.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
An interesting tidbit for those who didn't know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...coming%20a%20newborn.

Bengali Hindu swastika
The swastika is an important Hindu symbol.[5][6] The swastika symbol is commonly used before entrances or on doorways of homes or temples, to mark the starting page of financial statements, and mandalas constructed for rituals such as weddings or welcoming a newborn.[6][78]

The swastika has a particular association with Diwali, being drawn in rangoli (coloured sand) or formed with deepak lights on the floor outside Hindu houses and on wall hangings and other decorations.[80]

In the diverse traditions within Hinduism, both the clockwise and counterclockwise swastika are found, with different meanings. The clockwise or right hand icon is called swastika, while the counterclockwise or left hand icon is called sauwastika or sauvastika.[6] The clockwise swastika is a solar symbol (Surya), suggesting the motion of the Sun in the northern hemisphere, where it appears to enter from the east, then ascend to the south at midday, exiting to the west.[6] The counterclockwise sauwastika is less used; it connotes the night, and in tantric traditions it is an icon for the goddess Kali, the terrifying form of Devi Durga.[6] The symbol also represents activity, karma, motion, wheel, and in some contexts the lotus.[2][3] According to Norman McClelland its symbolism for motion and the Sun may be from shared prehistoric cultural roots.[81]

A swastika shaped temple tank built in 800 CE by Kamban Araiyan during the reign of Dantivarman is outside the temple complex of Pundarikakshan Perumal Temple (Vishnu temple) in Thiruvallarai, Tiruchirappalli, India. It is one of the important monuments of Pallava dynasty.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Flash-LB,

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post