SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electronic trigger pull gauge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic trigger pull gauge Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So I have a Wheeler spring loaded trigger gauge and it’s been fine for a long time, though it’s easy to get some skewed numbers due to the lack of sensitivity and rudimentary nature of the device.

I have been wanting to add a digital one just to see if my pulls are any more precise and consistent. I see the Lyman one is quite popular, though I also saw the Wheeler digital one and it looks really nice too. With the Wheeler digital, apparently you can just put your finger over the trigger insert and pull that way as the sensor is in the pad. With the Lyman it relies on pulling the entire unit rearward.

Anyone have either (or another recommendation) of the aforementioned digital trigger gauges?

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I have both the Lyman Digital and the Wheeler manual pulls.
Both work well with the Lyman being a little more precise (as well as finicky meaning you need to be precise in your procedure).

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have the Lyman gauge too. It takes a little practice to get consistent readings from it, but once you get it figured out it seems to work very well.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I've used the digital Lyman for years with no issues.
I like it because if you do any trigger work you can do before and after pulls and it gives you consistent readings of the results.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've the Lyman digital gauge. I've found it to read consistently.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Seems Lyman is more preferred and that’s what I was figuring though I wonder how accurate this study is as the Lyman seems to measure (at least for this guy) over a pound more than the Wheeler based on the method maybe?

https://guntoters.com/blog/202...-trigger-pull-gauge/

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
Seems Lyman is more preferred and that’s what I was figuring though I wonder how accurate this study is as the Lyman seems to measure (at least for this guy) over a pound more than the Wheeler based on the method maybe?

https://guntoters.com/blog/202...-trigger-pull-gauge/

As in any such analysis, a sample size of one is meaningless. It could be that one or the other of those two particular gauges is just off a little. How would you know which (if either) is correct without having at least a 3rd gauge to corroborate one of the original readings? Now if you bought one or two more of both types and ran the same test, and found that all the Lymans read higher than all the Wheelers, that might begin to mean something, although it still wouldn't answer the question of which is correct. For that you would need some sort of "official", calibrated measurement device. It's also quite possible that a different pair of gauges would result in the Lyman showing a lower weight than the Wheeler.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
Dunno, but, my Staccato R comes out right about where it should and the... three? 1911's I've had my smith treat all came out to the ±4 lbs I requested ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I have a lyman and recommend them. I used it to fine tuned my Sig Pro main spring I was cutting down for a reduced pull weight. In my experience they are pretty dang consistent and user friendly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Yeah the deviation between those two in that test seems fishy, perhaps one of them was not set up correctly I don’t know. And yeah it’s a sample of one. Maybe I’ll snag off of each and do my own comparison.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not electronic, and therefore probably better if accuracy actually matters.
https://www.brownells.com/tool...hop-trigger-weights/

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Oh dang didn’t know that even existed. Funny I just took my Wheeler manual spring pull gauge and pulled it against my small scale and it was pretty accurate within an eighth of a pound I’d say. Maybe the digital ones won’t offer much more than what I already have.

I’m still curious to test it out for myself with at least one digital vs analog—-though at the end of the day I guess even a quarter to a half pound of deviation from perceived to actual weight doesn’t really matter for what I need. Heck some of my striker pistol triggers pull over 6# and they actually feel better than some that pull under 5#. I assume this has to do with a multitude of factors including the type of trigger, comfort, internals surface prep, pre and over travel, etc.