SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ouchy On Wife's Leg, What Is It?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ouchy On Wife's Leg, What Is It? Login/Join 
posted
This bruise http://imgur.com/a/QgXLUuq appeared on my wife's thigh today, no impact to cause it. She felt the pain, then noticed the appearance. She says it hurts pretty bad, in a throbbing way, and more so when she touches it, and she wants to scratch it. The small varicose vein patch in that area has been there for 3 years though.

She had something similar on her lower calf a couple months ago, and the bruise and pain lasted a few weeks. There is/was no varicose vein in the calf area.

For context, before we married, she was an RN that specialized in geriatric care, so she's familiar with blood clots, possible risks, and also blood thinners and issues that can go along with those. She kind of wants to know if there's potentially something serious going on, but she's stubborn as a mule about going to the doctor Mad

She's 43 y/o, not overweight at all, doesn't use drugs/tobacco, only occasional light alcohol consumption. Eats fairly healthy, and is very active and healthy.

Thanks for any input!

http://imgur.com/a/QgXLUuq

Posts: 1731 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sudden unexplained onset, throbbing pain, and itch makes me think of shingles. Often accompanied by a red rash, but not always.

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can that be in one spot, go away, and reoccur in another spot? Accompanied by a bruise?

Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Hard to tell from a photo, but two things:

1. Go see your primary care physician/Internist
2. Do what he/she says.

Your wife is an RN. Symptoms could be a DVT (deep vein thrombosis), which I'm guessing you wife may think too - she's concerned, so you should be. Since she had a previous and similar experience, and no known cause, worth ruling out. Your FP may recommend a Doppler (sort of an ultrasound), MRI, venography or just warm compresses - could also just be a mild contusion. Current meds are important to run down, but doesn't sound like she has a long list of risk factors, although the greatest risk of ignoring is an occult pulmonary embolus, and you can have a DVT or PE with no previous history. Shortness of breath, chest pain or blood in sputum are a MANDATORY trip to the ER. See a Doc. Soon.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Maybe start taking an 81mg (baby) aspirin?? If it is clot related, this might get ahead of it.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
She on Prednisone at all?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16959 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
She on Prednisone at all?

Nope

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:

2. Do what he/she says.

Your wife is an RN. Symptoms could be a DVT (deep vein thrombosis), which I'm guessing you wife may think too - she's concerned, so you should be. Since she had a previous and similar experience, and no known cause, worth ruling out. Your FP may recommend a Doppler (sort of an ultrasound), MRI, venography or just warm compresses - could also just be a mild contusion. Current meds are important to run down, but doesn't sound like she has a long list of risk factors, although the greatest risk of ignoring is an occult pulmonary embolus, and you can have a DVT or PE with no previous history. Shortness of breath, chest pain or blood in sputum are a MANDATORY trip to the ER. See a Doc. Soon.

Thank you! No current meds FWIW

posted Hide Post
I won't pretend to know what it is....but if it were me, I'd want to definitely rule out a DVT …..soon !!

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:

2. Do what he/she says.

Thank you!

You're very welcome - and good luck!

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Can't tell from the pic exactly where it is on the leg.
If your RN wife is anything like my RN wife, they ARE terrible patients!

If she really wants to know, (or at least get a best guess), she's gonna have to talk to a Doc.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3888 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Having a wife that is also an RN, it's tough to get them to do what would be normal for us: go see a doctor!!!!
Sometimes, it's impossible to see the trees because of the forest!

Posts: 3406 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Any update? Hoping all better now.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother had multiple dvt events in her lifetime. So many that we lost count. However, she lived to be 85 years old.

Any suspect areas on the calf area of her legs was an automatic trip to the ER or doctor.

I will cast another vote to get her to have it checked out. Certainly not something to mess around with.

Posts: 798 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Not a doc but I would call that a sign of something metabolic or hormonal going on. Good time to get a full metabolic panel done including CRP, lipid panel, liver/kidney function and fasting glucose. Hopefully it's nothing but perhaps a symptom.

Posts: 3601 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Any news on how she's doing?

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
This bruise appeared on my wife's thigh today, no impact to cause it. She felt the pain, then noticed the appearance. She says it hurts pretty bad, in a throbbing way, and more so when she touches it, and she wants to scratch it.

Hurting as in sore or, hurting as in pain?

Try putting a cold compress on there, get the muscle to relax. Take an aspirin and elevate...you know RICE.

If no improvement, see a physician.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any news on how she's doing?

Ouchy has appeared to have resolved itself as Outnumbered most recent post suggests below:

posted October 08, 2019 08:13 AM
Beer-battered fish fry, bratwursts, cheese curds, and beer! Wisconsin!

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We ended up going in to urgent care, as she didn't feel well a couple days later (tired, some discomfort near sternum, couldn't catch breath). The doctor was nearly immediately dismissive of DVT based on lack of swelling and red streaking, and ordered a fairly standard blood panel, plus Lyme's test! Mad

Tammy was SLIGHTLY low on iron count, and the doctor explained it as iron deficiency causing fatigue and stress/worry, with no explanation of the spontaneous leg issues, other than "well, you're a busy mom and sometimes we don't even realize when we bump into something and get bruised". REALLY??? Painful bruises that last 1-3 weeks and she wouldn't notice an impact causing that? WTF?

Since then, the last bruise went away after a week and a half, and the chest/breathing discomfort subsided, so she's back to not wanting to go in, especially after the last disappointing visit. But, at least we'll get a hefty bill for a worthless hospital visit to look forward to, so there's that!

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. Might want to see a hematologist if internist thinks it is needed. Glad she is better.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post