SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Security camera system recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Security camera system recommendations Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
Just bought a new house and it is already wired up in about 6-8 locations for security cameras. I would like to install some cameras, perhaps a pan tilt zoom camera on the outside, with on sight storage in a hard drive and an iPhone app that allows me to watch the cameras while I'm away from home and control the PTZ camera if possible.

Does anything like this exist?

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Just bought a new house and it is already wired up in about 6-8 locations for security cameras. I would like to install some cameras, perhaps a pan tilt zoom camera on the outside, with on sight storage in a hard drive and an iPhone app that allows me to watch the cameras while I'm away from home and control the PTZ camera if possible.

Does anything like this exist?

PTZ sounds neater than it really is.

What type of wiring is there? Cat5?? Coax plus power??

tons of stuff out there, it just takes money.

I went the route of IP camera on Cat5e. I have software that allows me to do almost anything with them.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
What type of wiring is there? Cat5?? Coax plus power??

It looks like coax plus power. I have to get a closer look though.

When I was 18, I installed like 14 Professional, high dollar PTZ cameras for my employer, and got an award from the cops for my amazing footage that I turned over to them about monthly that solved many crimes. That was years ago though, and I don't remember the brand names or equipment, and it would all probably be obsolete these days. I used to be able to zoom in on a guy picking his nose and see what color the booger was. The cops would shit a brick when I turned over the highest quality security footage they have ever seen.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
yep, I like wired systems and your new home being wired could be a good thing.... but you are going to have to figure out how to match up to what you have.... Not sure the pan and tilt option is worth it.. unless you are going to sit and monitor things most of the time.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Head on over to IPcamtalk.com lots of knowledgeable folks over there.

For the price point, Dahua Starlights rule under $200
(Choose the International site)

Their HDCVI cams which would run over coax, easily rival their IP brothers. Same sensor, different comm method. I have Starlight CVI cams around my house and Mom's, but also use their IP versions for the neighborhood HOA.

There are also adapters to convert and run IP over coax if you just have to have IP.

PTZ's are fun, but unless you go with auto-tracking, ($) and have a clean line of site around without tree shadows etc, they're gonna end up parked in one spot anyway, or chasing every shadow that moves.

Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bigredfish59/videos
(Remember to change the youtube player to 1080p)

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've put a couple of WYZE around my shop and they work amazingly well, especially for the price.
They need power but you said you have that. They work with WIFI and have an app, motion sensor, zoom and pan.

https://www.wyze.com/shop/

Posts: 9522 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^ this ^^

PTZ in order to be useful needs to be manually operated.

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Where in Florida are you? There is a very competent security camera shop in Winter Garden. I know those guys a d can make a referral.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

^^ this ^^

PTZ in order to be useful needs to be manually operated.

This ^^^^^

Now, if you're not certain what you want your field of view (FoV) to be, a motorized lens (e.g.: A Dahua Varifocal) can be handy. But PTZ not so much, IMO & IME.

There is an exception. Dahua has cameras that have pretty decent auto-tracking. But they're big, they require lots of power, and they're expensive.

I can't help you with coax cameras, as mine are all IP cams.

quote:
Originally posted by bigredfish:
Head on over to IPcamtalk.com lots of knowledgeable folks over there.

This is true, but there's also more than a little misinformation and dogma. Luckily, if you're at all technically savvy it's pretty easy to spot. (I tend to let it go, because arguing heretical positions there has gotten people the boot.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post