SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida man shoots SIL
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida man shoots SIL Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The SIL was not too smart, especially if he knew the FIL owned a gun, and he paid with his life.
If I hear banging on my front door, then banging on my back door and look outside and can't see anyone, I'm staying inside with the doors locked. Gun in hand, call 911.
Had the person outside been an actual criminal with a gun, the homeowner probably would have been toast.
Possessing a gun as a homeowner with great skills, or as an off duty cop doesn't (or shouldn't) change your tactics when you fear a criminal may be there. Get to cover, assess the situation and use that time and cover to make a better decision.
These are two recent examples of somebody dying unnecessarily due to bravado and poor decision making skills.

Response time here is 1/2 to 1 hour due to distance. I am not dealing with a bad guy in my home if I can help it. "Bravado" and "poor decision making skills"? You assumed a lot just from reading the article.

The only things I know about it are what I read in the articles.
Leaving a somewhat secure and locked up residence to go outside in the open to face an unknown number of assailants that could have ambushed him from behind cover doesn't sound like a good idea to me, no matter how far away the popo is.
Also would leave any family members inside the home exposed if he was taken out first.
Not my first choice.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Dennis assumed the person banging at his back door was the same unwelcome relative that banged on his front door 2 hours before and exchanged angry words.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
The SIL was not too smart, especially if he knew the FIL owned a gun, and he paid with his life.
If I hear banging on my front door, then banging on my back door and look outside and can't see anyone, I'm staying inside with the doors locked. Gun in hand, call 911.
Had the person outside been an actual criminal with a gun, the homeowner probably would have been toast.
Possessing a gun as a homeowner with great skills, or as an off duty cop doesn't (or shouldn't) change your tactics when you fear a criminal may be there. Get to cover, assess the situation and use that time and cover to make a better decision.
These are two recent examples of somebody dying unnecessarily due to bravado and poor decision making skills.

Response time here is 1/2 to 1 hour due to distance. I am not dealing with a bad guy in my home if I can help it. "Bravado" and "poor decision making skills"? You assumed a lot just from reading the article.

Leaving a somewhat secure and locked up residence to go outside in the open to face an unknown number of assailants that could have ambushed him from behind cover doesn't sound like a good idea to me, no matter how far away the popo is.
Also would leave any family members inside the home exposed if he was taken out first.
Not my first choice.

If you are the only one in your home that knows how to use a firearm, shame on you.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not my first choice.

If you are the only one in your home that knows how to use a firearm, shame on you.

I'm not and that's not the point.
Making some assumptions now, aren't we?

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What happened to the cardinal rule of identifying your target before firing? We all laugh at "Uncle" Joe Biden for suggesting firing a shotgun in the air to scare off a potential intruder but I'd argue that's quite a bit better than plugging a family member eh?

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

Police response time changes nothing. The SMART thing to do is stay behind your locked doors, armed. Property can be replaced. Lives cannot. A bad guy breaking a door down has signaled his intentions with no guessing. And he has to enter a fatal funnel (doorway) before he can harm you. A couple 12 gauge blast to the face as he breeches a door gives a homeowner the best tactical advantage to survive.

A guy died in his basement last week checking out a noise. Shot and killed in his own basement.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
We all agree that fatal mistakes were made by both parties. We all agree that this was a horrible incident. The sheriff says this was an "accidental" shooting. Was it really an accident? Unintentional shooting, certainly. But Dennis did not accidentally shoot. He put himself in a position to kill someone without ascertaining the facts of the situation. He didn't even know if there was a threat, but he stepped out of his door ready to shoot to kill. We don't know if the relative he argued with earlier made threats. If he had threatened Dennis, then, upon his supposed return, Dennis should have called the cops.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cne32507,

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
We all agree that fatal mistakes were made by both parties. We all agree that this was a horrible incident. The sheriff says this was an "accidental" shooting. Was it really an accident? Unintentional shooting, certainly. But Dennis did not accidentally shoot. He put himself in a position to kill someone without ascertaining the facts of the situation. He didn't even know if there was a threat, but he stepped out of his door ready to shoot to kill. We don't know if the relative he argued with earlier made threats. If he had threatened Dennis, then, upon his supposed return, Dennis should have called the cops.

Here is the statute that the Sheriff is relying upon. It is a classic case of excusable homicide by law.

782.03 Excusable homicide.—Homicide is excusable when committed by accident and misfortune in doing any lawful act by lawful means with usual ordinary caution, and without any unlawful intent, or by accident and misfortune in the heat of passion, upon any sudden and sufficient provocation, or upon a sudden combat, without any dangerous weapon being used and not done in a cruel or unusual manner.
History.—s. 6, ch. 1637, 1868; RS 2379; GS 3204; RGS 5034; CGL 7136; s. 1, ch. 75-13.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post