SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida man shoots SIL
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida man shoots SIL Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted
NBC article

“At 11:30, Mr. Dennis hears the same type of banging on the back door that he heard on the front door earlier,” the sheriff said. “So he turns on the back porch light, he steps out and Mr. Bergan jumps out of the shadows, scaring Mr. Dennis.”

One shot through the heart with a .380. This terrible accident occurred in the same nearby subdivision my son and his family live in.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
This is in my county. A tragedy, but Darwin was at work here.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Dennis fired one round and struck Bergan, killing him instantly, according to the sheriff.

The sheriff called the shooting "totally accidental,"

One shot, right there, 'accidental'?

And 'After the shots were fired, Dennis immediately called 911...'

One shot, two shots, how many shots?

Obfuscation, to say the least.

Posts: 11324 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Or just typically poor reporting.

It's probably being labelled "accidental" because they're assuming the man did not mean to kill his... <looks...> SIL? <Looks again...> It says "...Mr. Bergan jumps out of the shadows, scaring Mr. Dennis." That would be BIL, would it not? Anyway: Just a "lucky" shot, one right through the heart being snapped-off after a fright. So, yeah: Seems accidental to me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Something like this happened several years ago.
I do not remember where it was.
A kid jumped out of a closet to surprise someone and was shot and died.
Very sad story.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do people get guns and just assume that anyone who spooks them is gonna get shot? This guy could have just stepped back into his house and locked the door. For God's sake people, identify your target. The Dallas police woman who shot her neighbor will spend years in prison, wishing every minute of the day that she had tried to identify who was in the room with her before she pulled the trigger.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Tragic. Pranks, practical jokes, etc., can have horrible unintended consequences.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

"...Mr. Bergan jumps out of the shadows, scaring Mr. Dennis." That would be BIL, would it not?

SIL. son in law.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

"...Mr. Bergan jumps out of the shadows, scaring Mr. Dennis." That would be BIL, would it not?

SIL. son in law.

Oh. DOH!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

SIL. son in law.

Oh. DOH!

All honesty, I, too, was thinking sister-in-law.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
That's why you dial 9-1-1 and wait for the police.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
That's why you dial 9-1-1 and wait for the police.

Yeah, if they're outside, and unless they're either damaging the place or trying to, that's what I'd do.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The SIL was not too smart, especially if he knew the FIL owned a gun, and he paid with his life.
If I hear banging on my front door, then banging on my back door and look outside and can't see anyone, I'm staying inside with the doors locked. Gun in hand, call 911.
Had the person outside been an actual criminal with a gun, the homeowner probably would have been toast.
Possessing a gun as a homeowner with great skills, or as an off duty cop doesn't (or shouldn't) change your tactics when you fear a criminal may be there. Get to cover, assess the situation and use that time and cover to make a better decision.
These are two recent examples of somebody dying unnecessarily due to bravado and poor decision making skills.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
This is a clearer article from our local mullet wrapper

SIL vs son-in-law: I didn't want the title to be too long. Never thought of SIL = sister-in-law. Sorry for the confusion.

The son-in-law was from Norway. I wonder if he didn't understand that folks in our parts would be carrying a firearm to answer a late-night banging on the back door in a fenced back yard?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Tragic story for sure. When my daughters were younger I remember discussing this very issue with them. Once they were old enough to fully comprehend we discussed the issue at length and I made sure they understood the consequences were life and death.

I cannot fathom having to live with that.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The report I saw said the shooter had some family altercation type situation earlier that day at his house. Then his son in law came to visit and wish him a happy birthday from out of the country. Guy shoots him. A terrible situation and the shooter should be on the hook imho.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Yup, my kids have all been told, repeatedly, "do not try to sneak into the house or try to surprise me while I'm there, you may get shot."

Of course they've all moved out by now.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SIL set the stage for this. As for me, I would have called the cops and waited in a position between the front and back doors to see what developed.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The SIL set the stage for this. As for me, I would have called the cops and waited in a position between the front and back doors to see what developed.

I hope I would have done the same. I know that if I HAVE to shoot to defend myself it is much better for me if the intruder is in my house. Now if I ever have to act on that, who knows if I would be thinking clearly enough. Hope that day never comes.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The SIL was not too smart, especially if he knew the FIL owned a gun, and he paid with his life.
If I hear banging on my front door, then banging on my back door and look outside and can't see anyone, I'm staying inside with the doors locked. Gun in hand, call 911.
Had the person outside been an actual criminal with a gun, the homeowner probably would have been toast.
Possessing a gun as a homeowner with great skills, or as an off duty cop doesn't (or shouldn't) change your tactics when you fear a criminal may be there. Get to cover, assess the situation and use that time and cover to make a better decision.
These are two recent examples of somebody dying unnecessarily due to bravado and poor decision making skills.

Response time here is 1/2 to 1 hour due to distance. I am not dealing with a bad guy in my home if I can help it. "Bravado" and "poor decision making skills"? You assumed a lot just from reading the article.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post