SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Feet of the Mars helicopter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feet of the Mars helicopter Login/Join 
posted
OK, pardon my lack of scientific knowledge, but why is one foot of the helicopter a different shape than the other three feet?

Posts: 1627 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Low bid.

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
Low bid.

Well, the other three do resemble left-overs from discarded golf club heads. I guess if we are so cheap that we send astronauts to the space station in salvaged rockets, we might as well use salvage parts on Mars surface! Cool

posted Hide Post
Maybe a reference point to determine orientation when they look at pictures and videos of it?

Posts: 3341 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Maybe a reference point to determine orientation when they look at pictures and videos of it?
A way to determine orientation of it from its footprints?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It's already growing Mars Fungus. It's only a matter of time now. {sigh}

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
It's already growing Mars Fungus. It's only a matter of time now. {sigh}

Fuck you! Mutants Rule!!!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Presume he's referencing the foot with the loop..

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
The stock photos of the helicopter show four solid feet. It will be interesting to know why one has that loop.
Maybe used With some optic for ranging or sighting?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I'll guess its either for retention on the mother ship, or for retrieval by the rover if it crashes.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, here’s the answer. It had to do with how it was attached to the belly of the rover.

https://space.stackexchange.co...genuitys-legs-differ

Posts: 3341 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It has to do with the landing leg retention clamps. They found they needed a little more clearance on that corner when the vehicle was in the stowed position beneath the rover, and rather than redesign all the lower geometry, it was easier to add that little strut on the foot for the clamp to grab onto.

You can see the retention arm on the left side where the arrow is pointing...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys, as usual, have helped me to keep my dignity (what little I have ever possessed!). My six-year-old great-granddaughter noticed it and wanted to know why. It is not good for the great-grandfather to admit to lack of knowledge above and beyond a six-year-old. Roll Eyes

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Buy three tires, get the fourth one free..

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post