SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Caffeine and blood pressure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caffeine and blood pressure Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
An Interesting article:

“…
A simple cup of coffee contains hundreds of complex substances. Caffeine gets the blame for raising blood pressure, but the disparity between espresso and pure caffeine suggests there is more to the story. The decaffeinated espresso proved the point. It did not raise blood caffeine levels, but it boosted the average systolic blood pressure of the nondrinkers by 12 mm Hg, virtually as much as the high-test brew.
…”

www.health.harvard.edu/heart-h..._your_blood_pressure

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Couldn't read it as I'm not a subscriber, but you're saying the article says decaf expresso raised systolic pressure in people?

If so, then it's not caffeine that's the culprit, but something else in coffee beans.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Couldn't read it as I'm not a subscriber, but you're saying the article says decaf expresso raised systolic pressure in people?

Me: I found the article with a google search for:

“blood pressure” caffeine

That found the whole article – the 2nd hit. But when I click on the link in my post, I see only first part of it. Then the notice to login. Try my search phrase. /Me

If so, then it's not caffeine that's the culprit, but something else in coffee beans.

Me: Yeah, that’s the point of the article excerpt in my post. /Me

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
apparently what's advertised as decaffeinated isn't always decaf!!

Posts: 2211 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
...Researchers purchased 10 16-ounce decaffeinated cups of drip coffee from coffee shops and restaurants and analyzed them for caffeine content.

They found all but one -- decaffeinated Folgers Instant, purchased at a Krystal fast-food restaurant -- contained caffeine. The caffeine content ranged from 8.6 milligrams to 13.9 milligrams.

That's about a tenth of the caffeine found in an 8-ounce cup of regular drip-brewed coffee, which contains about 85 milligrams of caffeine...

Link

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Did Starbucks and Folgers sponsor the research? Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coffee is decaffeinated by roasting it dark and washing it. The darker the coffee, the less caffeine. Expresso, although many believe otherwise, has lowered amounts due to its being dark. Ive never heard of decaffeinated expresso.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Coffee is decaffeinated by roasting it dark and washing it. The darker the coffee, the less caffeine.

No, coffee is decaffeinated while the beans are still green (unroasted), by soaking them in water and then using either chemical solvents, activated carbon, or pressurized carbon dioxide to strip the caffeine.

Roasting comes later.

quote:
Ive never heard of decaffeinated expresso.

Probably because there's no such thing as expresso, decaffeinated or otherwise. Big Grin

quote:
Expresso, although many believe otherwise, has lowered amounts due to its being dark.

A shot of espresso has less caffeine than a cup of coffee due to its decreased serving size. It actually has much greater caffeine content by volume than traditional brewed coffee, it's just that it's typically served in 1 ounce shots instead of 8 ounce cups.

A 1 ounce shot of espresso averages around 60ish milligrams of caffeine (~60 mg/oz). An 8 ounce cup of coffee averages around 100ish milligrams of caffeine (~12.5 mg/oz).

That's about 5x more concentrated.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post