SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Battery powered string trimmer recommends?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery powered string trimmer recommends? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I think I’m sold on the EGO. But now I’m thinking I’ll postpone until spring to see if new models come out. Or lookout for fall sales.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Reviving this as I too have DeWalt battery stuff and normally would have thought to go with DeWalt. But I have a tiny yard and honestly, probably anything would be fine.

EGO gets a lot of props here.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38647 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I never wanted an electric but I also hate having to manage an extra can of mixed gas.

So I got one of those EGOs and used it several times last summer on my aveerage to small lawn, only using it every other time or so that I mowed.

As having used professional equipment back in the day doing lawn care, I'm not going to give it a 10/10 score but I'm impressed.
One concern I had was I forgot to bring the battery inside from the un-insulated garage during the winter (Michigan) and wasn't sure what that would do to the battery.
Grabbed it this spring and and it was fine. Still haven't charged it since almost this time last year. But like I say, I don't use it that much.
It might be because vs. gas which is always running, it turns off while I walk to the next obstacle and run it for 5 sec., it turns off, etc.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe:
Ego trimmer and blower owner here too. As of now I love both of them. Recharging doesn't take long either.

We have the carbon fiber EGO trimmer. It has a button for loading string. It’s fantastic, plus the weight of the battery seems to offset the weight of the length of stick and head/guard.

An additional benefit is the trigger-controlled speed. I can lightly pull and get a slow spin for around things like the cable from our antenna ground, or the power conduit on our lamp post. The benefit being that the grass is clipped, but the string is moving slowly enough so as to not wrap too tightly around the objects and break/shorten. The same is true around a broken concrete edged flowerbed in our backyard that we inherited with the house.

It really is a great tool.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EGO there's no substitute for more volts.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
It might be because vs. gas which is always running, it turns off while I walk to the next obstacle and run it for 5 sec., it turns off, etc.
This is most likely due to the protection circuit in the battery. What happens is, when the battery is partially discharged, the voltage drops, because of this, the demand of the motor calls for more amps than the battery is designed to provide, triggering the protection circuit. On a fully-charged battery, you will probably not see this happening.

I have had the same experience with a Ryobi 40V power head. I have a 4Ah Ryobi-branded battery and a "6Ah" chinesium battery, (The 6Ah is in quotes because I think it is a marketing lie, it provides less run-time than the 4Ah.) The self shutoff only happens with the Ryobi battery, and only when it is half discharged or more (judging by the LED power gauge on the battery itself). It never happens with the knockoff. I am guessing Chairman Xi left the protection circuit on the factory floor.

So, bottom line, there is probably nothing wrong with your trimmer that can't be solved by a little more diligence in charging the battery.

Posts: 6456 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I think you misunderstood his statement.

Electric string trimmers, by design, aren't running when the trigger isn't depressed. Versus a gas engine that is constantly running (idling) after you start it, even when you're not utilizing the trimmer head.

He doesn't have much to trim, so a few seconds of trimmer use every week or so means the battery lasts a long time on a single charge.

He wasn't complaining about it shutting off unexpectedly, but rather pointing out why the battery is able to last so long on one charge. Thus, he hasn't charged the battery since last year, and it's still going strong.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
As I was hoping, Ego came out with a carbon fiber, attachment capable, powerload technology version this year. I bought it and no issues thus far. Only thing it doesn’t have is “line IQ”. It has a typical bump feed.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
I bought the Greenworks simply because I have a Greenworks chainsaw & two batteries. It works well.
I've been using Greenworks 80v products for several years. No malfunctions and no complaints. Their 80v string trimmer will clearcut a tropical rain forest (well, almost Big Grin).

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
He wasn't complaining about it shutting off unexpectedly, but rather pointing out why the battery is able to last so long on one charge. Thus, he hasn't charged the battery since last year, and it's still going strong.

Yes, thanks for clarifying that, Rogue. On top of that, I wasn't sure what would happen in freezing temps over winter left hooked up in the device.
Thumbs up to the EGO.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
My limited experience with string trimmers has usually resulted in the string advancement being a pain in the ass. I get the impression EGO has an easy solution to that? How does that work?

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38647 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You cut a piece about 12' long, feed through the trimmer head holes until its even on both strands, and push a button. It feeds it around the spool until you let off the button. When it's close to the correct length, you stop. Couldn't be easier.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, MRBTX!

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Thanks for the info, MRBTX!

What he described is loading new line. But some Ego trimmers have “ line IQ” which automatically advances the string when it’s short. Mine doesn’t have that. It has a bump head. I don’t know the reliability of line IQ as it’s fairly new tech.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
My ~20 yo gas trimmer recently gave up the ghost and I just purchased (from Lowes) the EGO Model #ST1521S which does not have the "Line IQ" (it has bump-feed).

Although the Line IQ seems like a nice idea, some of the reviews that people are posting report that the line gets fed out too quickly with an entire spool getting dispensed in a single 'residential' session.

Maybe its user-error in these cases or a faulty design or a bad component?

It also adds ~$50 or so the cost.

I was really looking to pick up lighter-duty / less expensive battery powered string-trimmer for my generally light use, but those makes and models had much lower performance and durability expectations so I spent a few extra $'s.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post