SIGforum
Battery powered string trimmer recommends?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6610099494

September 22, 2022, 06:56 PM
SIGnified
Battery powered string trimmer recommends?
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
My EGO trimmer, blower, and edger all work great hand use the same batteries.

This,^^^ (powered by solar).

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
September 22, 2022, 07:45 PM
BigJoe
Ego trimmer and blower owner here too. As of now I love both of them. Recharging doesn't take long either.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!
September 22, 2022, 08:21 PM
Warhorse
Stihl FSA 57 with the AK20 battery. Very pleased with mine, I can trim my house 4 times on a single charge.

September 22, 2022, 08:25 PM
bubbatime
https://youtu.be/j3ZCMcaAOVM

I just bought a Ryobi string trimmer for my kid to use since I have a ton of Ryobi batteries. I use my Echo gas powered trimmer but it’s too strong and heavy for my kid.

I’d personally stick with whatever battery platform you have.

September 22, 2022, 08:28 PM
wdsman1
Another vote for Ego. Trimmer, blower and edger. Great batteries and quick charging.
September 22, 2022, 08:33 PM
sig2392
I bought the Ryobi years ago because it was light and easy to load.

It was also one of the least expensive at the time.

Years later it is still running strong to my surprise.
September 22, 2022, 08:36 PM
StorminNormin
I just recently switched to going electric with several yard tools. I chose Ryobi and am beyond satisfied. Everything I got were the higher end brushless. I bought a lawn mower, weed eater, leaf blower, and chainsaw.

They work wonderful and there is no looking back from the gas powered devices I had. I take great care of the batteries though as they are expensive and the main cost. I keep the batteries inside my house so they are not in a hot garage and take them off the charger once charged until I use them next. From what I researched, the batteries will last a long time if treated well.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
September 23, 2022, 02:26 AM
maladat
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I do love my 40v Kobalt, also bought the edger, blower and pole saw. I sold all of my gas powered stuff but recently bought a Husqvarna 570BTS backpack blower, nothing electric has that kind of leaf blowing power

EGO has an electric blower that has about the same power. Your Husqvarna shows 768 cfm air flow in the pipe, 972 cfm in the housing.

The EGO shows 765 cfm, but doesn't specify where it is measured. Still, pretty close, and no gasoline to deal with.

I don't think the electrics are quite there yet if you're a commercial operator and/or need the ability to refill the tank in a minute, as opposed to a 15 minute quick charge. But they are close, and rapidly improving.

The problem, really, is the batteries more than the power.

That ego blower puts out 765 CFM in “boost” mode.

They advertise 90 minutes of runtime with a 56V 5Ah battery. If you look more carefully, they claim you’ll get 25 minutes on high and 15 minutes on “boost.” They pretty much all use pretty optimistic test conditions, using the thing continuously you probably won’t get that much runtime.

So, yes, it will equal the output of a light gas backpack blower - on boost mode.

With what the batteries cost, you’re looking at maybe $15 per minute of “boost” runtime before you have to wait for batteries to charge.

I have s Stihl BGA 200 electric blower that seems to have fairly similar specs to the 765 CFM ego blower. It will run on “turbo” for about 40 minutes off an $800 backpack battery.

When it’s just a few leaves, it doesn’t require “turbo” and doesn’t take that long anyway, but when there are a lot of leaves and acorns anything less than “turbo” won’t cut it and one battery often doesn’t finish the job.

That isn’t a huge problem for me as a homeowner, but what the hell is a landscape crew supposed to do? For 8 hours of light gas backpack blower-equivalent power for one electric blower, you need $10,000 in batteries.

They could easily stick a bigger motor in an electric blower and out as much air as a big backpack blower. So far, no one does, because batteries run less efficiently and wear out faster (stop taking a full charge) as power draws increase. An electric blower with that much output would wear out any reasonably sized battery pack, even ones like the 20 pound Stihl backpack batteries, WAY too fast. If you bypassed all the protection circuits that would shut the battery down, it would probably make power tool battery packs literally catch on fire and explode.
September 23, 2022, 04:40 AM
henryaz

I recently had to make this move, due to back problems and my inability to use my Stihl two stroke trimmer (too heavy).

After running the purchase by Garage Journal, I ended up with the Makita XRU23SM1. At <7 lbs, it makes it doable for me to trim our modest 35 ft circle of grass. Bermuda grass requires constant attention due to the runners it sends out, and I can keep on top of it with this trimmer. I did replace the head with an Echo SpeedFeed. One battery charge does the job easily.

When in doubt, mumble
September 23, 2022, 09:47 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I take great care of the batteries though as they are expensive and the main cost.

Once a year (usually in the late Spring), Home Depot will run their Ryobi Days sale, which typically includes a deal for a two-pack of 4Ah Ryobi 18V batteries and charger for $99 along with your choice of one of 15 or so power tools for free.

It's a good way to expand your Ryobi 18V tool collection while picking up additional spare batteries at a discount.

Then once you have a decent supply of spare batteries, you can just buy the bare Ryobi tools (that don't come with any included battery or charger) for $50-$70+ less than the price of the same tool with an included battery.
September 23, 2022, 09:55 AM
DoctorSolo
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I see echo has one that looks good too. Milwaukee reviews suck too.

Commom sense isn't common, take those with a grain of salt. The Milwaukee 18v stuff is great and they back their stuff.

If you already have a Milwaukee 18V tool especially, do not hesitate to buy the weed wacker.
September 23, 2022, 09:58 AM
ch23701
Maybe think about the WORX line. I received a weed eater, edger combo. for Fathers Day a couple of years ago and really like it so far.
September 23, 2022, 10:03 AM
arfmel
Nephew has a Worx setup and seems to like it
September 23, 2022, 11:33 AM
photohause
Had my WORKV for four years...no problamos.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

September 23, 2022, 02:12 PM
pedropcola
Ok, with this thread in my back pocket I just bought the EGO thread trimmer whacker. With military discount it was $270, yikes. It does seem well built. Carbon fiber shaft, metal components, huge battery. We shall see.

Edited to add: This thing is a beast. It has 2 power levels and I did everything at the low mode and had zero issues. It is nice to use a tool that actually looks like they used their head while designing it. It auto feeds the string. Some type of magic there, not quite sure how it knows when to feed but so far so good. It also self winds new string when you need to fill it back up. nice

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,
September 23, 2022, 07:53 PM
Wolfpacker
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I take great care of the batteries though as they are expensive and the main cost.

Once a year (usually in the late Spring), Home Depot will run their Ryobi Days sale, which typically includes a deal for a two-pack of 4Ah Ryobi 18V batteries and charger for $99 along with your choice of one of 15 or so power tools for free.

It's a good way to expand your Ryobi 18V tool collection while picking up additional spare batteries at a discount.

Then once you have a decent supply of spare batteries, you can just buy the bare Ryobi tools (that don't come with any included battery or charger) for $50-$70+ less than the price of the same tool with an included battery.

I will cast another vote for Ryobi. I still have a gas powered larger weed eater for the road bank/ditch line but the light weight battery power does the work around the house/shrubbery/trees. Also a + 1 for the Ryobi Days battery sale if they still have it.
September 24, 2022, 05:35 PM
Udo
All our battery equipment is American made Stihl. Trimmers,blowers, mower and chain saws. Some over five years old now and all going great
September 25, 2022, 02:47 PM
Scooter123
I have the Milwaukee and my only complaint is the lack of line capacity, IMO fingertip to fingertip with the arms extended is not enough. I'm also not fond of the cost for the extension drives for the chainsaw.

I've stopped counting.
September 25, 2022, 03:56 PM
Veeper
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
EGo

I have both the EGO 2-piece, and the EGO carbon fiber version.

We got the carbon fiber version so that my boys wouldn’t have to change the power head from edger to trimmer at the doctors office they’re mowing.

The carbon fiber version auto feeds the string, is light-weight, and works phenomenally well.

Highly recommended.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken
September 25, 2022, 04:50 PM
shoevb
I have a Ryobi 40v mower, blower and trimmer. Going on my 4th year and they have way exceeded my expectations.

I had one of my three batteries start to die after 2 years and Ryobi sent me a new one within days no questions asked.