SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Old Trapper peppered jerky. what is your favorite?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Trapper peppered jerky. what is your favorite? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Jerky is expensive, so not something I buy very often. Bought some of this while on a road trip recently. Pretty darn good.

What do you like?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19727 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
That's bizarre..
I'd never heard of this brand until like 2 days ago.
Picked up a bag of it at the store and literally have it sitting next to me right now.
It's pretty good.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1566 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a sucker for teriyaki.

Posts: 774 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M&S Meats

https://msmeats.com/collections/premium-jerky

Original, Pepper, Teriyaki

Be prepared for a manly jaw workout.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
M&S Meats

They have really good, authentic jerky. I bet this stuff is what you would find in a saddle bag back in the day.

JP

Posts: 2074 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m glad to see others here have heard of M&S meats jerky. It’s tough jerky but damn it’s so good. It’s also expensive but you can save some money by doing a subscription, which is what I do. I have 6 bags of peppered beef jerky delivered every month.

Posts: 721 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For Old Trapper, it has to be peppered. There is a beef jerky store near me and one time my daughter bought me a bag of ghost pepper jerky as a joke. The bag had to cost more than 20 bucks, so I muscled through that bag in one sitting. I was watching Braveheart with tears and my nose running wide open.

Posts: 799 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I like jerky quite a bit, and usually drop $50+ on it when I'm around premium jerky (e.g. gun shows).

As far as Old Trapper, my preference is their old fashioned. It's better than most massed produced national brands.

BTW, as far as a mass produced jerky the Pacific Gold at Costco is quite good.

When I drive to Dallas, I'm one of the few who skip Buc-ee's and instead go to Woody's in Centerville as I prefer their jerky. Jalapeno beef jerky is my favorite.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23674 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
I like the Old Trapper hot and spicy.

Posts: 5911 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
This has been my go-to jerky recipe for the past year or so.

Dr. Pepper jerky

I despise soy sauce. Can't stomach the stuff. Thusly, I've experimented with a lot of alternatives and this is the best I've come up with. It's good stuff and pretty easy to make.

Regarding M&S meats, their jerky is pretty good, but anything will taste good if you soak it in enough MSG. Years (decades) ago, when they had just the one small store and butcher shop in Rollins, it was a real treat to swing by there and pick up a handful for the road. They've changed though, and not for the better IMO. New owners expanded to new stores and in my experience, when great little hole-in-the-wall places grow too big the quality declines.

Posts: 20577 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
My favorite is Cedar Creek original beef jerky. A client gave me a bag several years ago and now I order it a couple of times a year. Cedar Creek's jerky is pretty dry, which is how I prefer it. My husband says it's too salty and tough, so more for me!

ETA: I think I'll give M&S a try.

Posts: 2693 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you are on the road and near a Buc-ee's then stop in and see the wall of Beef Jerky, you can get pre-bagged, or go to the Jerky counter, engage the Beef Concierge and make up your own mix.

It's damn good stuff, expensive as hell.

When I get time, I make my own stuff...

Pictures at the link, sorry no smell-o-vision though

Link

Posts: 24290 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
I'm a sucker for teriyaki.

Me too! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16529 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I never buy jerky, I make mine at home.
If the deer hunting is productive, it's made from ground venison.
If not, it is made from store bought 93% ground beef.
The round style is much easier to make than the flat, so we only make the round style.

I have 15 pounds of triple ground venison in the freezer from my successful December 2023 muzzleloader hunt.

Here, we prefer ground meat jerky which in reality, is more like a dried Slim Jim snack stick, just not disgustingly greasy like a Slim Jim.

We have a 3/4 hp commercial LEM Big Bite meat grinder with all of the attachments.
Using a snack stick filler/extrusion tube on the meat grinder, the ground meat with the seasoning/cure already mixed in is easily extruded directly onto the dehydrator trays.
We have the foot pedal on/off switch for the meat grinder and use it when extruding the ring finger sized "string" of "jerky" onto the dehydrator plastic trays.

We've been using a Cabela's 12 tray commercial dehydrator for years and the finished ground meat jerky is skinless. (no casing of any type)
When dried, the finished product is about the diameter of a yellow pencil.

There is significant shrinkage and weight loss during dehydration.

A package of seasoning/cure is sized for 15 pounds of ground meat, the finished product is about half what you started out with by weight.

Over years of trial & error, the only seasoning/cure mix we buy now is HI MOUNTAIN Cracked Pepper & Garlic. Link: www.himtnjerky.com
I just looked in the kitchen cabinet, there are eight packages of the seasoning/cure mix.

You can make it at home using ground beef from the store and use the kitchen oven for dehydrating, however a "jerky shooter" (like a caulking gun) will simplify the process.
A commercial meat grinder and dehydrator are not mandatory, but they DO simplify the process and make it much more time friendly.

Using the meat grinder with the snack stick extrusion tube eliminates the time consuming cleanup on the jerky shooter.
All of the meat grinder components are stainless steel, and the dehydrator trays are plastic so everything just runs through the dishwasher for cleanup.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1577 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post