SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    White House Honors Gold Star Families - mine included
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

White House Honors Gold Star Families - mine included Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
As many on the from know my little brother was killed during a mortar attack in 2006 while serving as a corpsman with the 1st Marine during the retaking of Ramadi. Christopher is my cousin by blood but little brother in life. There are many Marines that are home today raising their families because of his efforts in Iraq.

The White House recently hosted a special event for Gold Star families, those who have lost immediate family. Christopher's mother and father were invited and did attend. Families were asked not to discuss the event before it took place to avoid media attention. Families were also allowed to bring their cameras and phones and take as many photographs as they wished. The event included a private tour of the White House, dinner, an audience with the President, First Lady, Vice President and Secretary of Homeland Security. A professional photographer was present so that families may have their pictures taken with the President, First Lady and other hosts.

I feel honored to have Christopher recognized in such a way. With everything being negatively reported in the media, it's comforting to know that a sense of honor, respect and class has been returned to the White House.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...lies-at-white-house/

President Trump and First Lady Host Gold Star Families at White House

by MICHELLE MOONS6 Jun 2017Washington, D.C.457

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Monday night at the White House Gold Star families gathered at the request of President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump for an event to honor them and the loved ones they have lost.

The first lady defined Gold Star families, those whose immediate family member died while serving in the military during wartime, “they are a unique and distinct category of individuals who should be cherished.”

“These families have endured the ultimate in pain and sacrifice on behalf of our country, and I am honored to have spent the evening with them. My husband and I commit to always pay tribute to our active service military, veterans, and the families who love them,” she added according to the White House.

National Security Advisor Lieutenant General H.R. McMaster and Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly, a retired General, also hosted the reception with the President and first lady.

Sec. Kelly himself lost his U.S. Marine officer son in 2010. His son was killed while serving in Afghanistan.

President Trump addressed the room of Gold Star families before turning the event over to Sec. Kelly. Kelly addressed the families, then asked each family to stand as the name of the loved one they lost was read. The Secretary and Mrs. Kelly lit candles to remember each person that has lost their life in service to the United States.

The White House noted in a release that the term “God Star family” can be traced back to World War I when Americans “would fly a flag bearing a blue star for every immediate family member serving in the armed forces.” that star was changed to gold if the family member was killed in the War.

The United States Marine Band played and a military soloist sang “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” and “America the Beautiful” for the event.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11884 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I agree. Such class.

See my CUT.

May your brother's name, always be for a blessing.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44459 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Condolences and my sympathy on your loss.

Righteous and appropriate recognition of the families.

Good to hear, and fully expected from this President and Sec. Kelly.

Can you estimate how many were invited / attended?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post