SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Everclear as a hand sanitizer.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everclear as a hand sanitizer. Login/Join 
posted
Couldn’t find any hand sanitizer locally so bought a bottle of Everclear and put some in a small spray bottle.
Drys off and doesn’t seem to leave any residue.

Posts: 550 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brings back memories of Purple Jesus- Hallelujah.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13404 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Drys off

That's your problem. Alcohol needs to stay wet for a minimum of 10 minutes to have good sanitizing affect. That's why ever clear is no good.

ETA I updated this post because some sanitizing can happen in less time depending on microbe.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: frayedends,

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12441 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Denatured alcohol at home/hardware stores.

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

Last time I had Purple Jesus I was at a college at party in a remote park. Had a few drinks, laid down on a pic-nick table (11:00 AM) and noticed the sky was spinning like a helicopter. My day was over but I'm sure as hell my stomach contained no microbes that could hurt me Big Grin

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better use than drinking it

Posts: 2487 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Put yer smoke out first! Wink

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
As long as you have the good kind and not the restricted kind.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Drys off

That's your problem. Alcohol needs to stay wet for a minimum of 10 minutes to have any sanitizing affect. That's why ever clear is no good.

Well, that can't be true. Hand sanitizer, as well as wipes that they use before drawing blood and other minor procedures, all are dry well within 10 minutes. I don't know how long it has to stay on, but certainly not 10 minutes.

Now I do know that 70% alcohol is the most effective at killing most germs (whatever that means). Counter-intuitive, but 100% is less effective. Something about water solubility of cell walls.

I don't know if Everclear reaches 70%, but if so, it should be effective.

Actual doctors, please comment.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends: Alcohol needs to stay wet for a minimum of 10 minutes to have any sanitizing affect. That's why ever clear is no good.

20 seconds is what is needed

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like you can mix Everclear with Aloe Vera and make a hand sanitizer.

quote:
How to make effective hand sanitizer at home

We decided to test out the following recipe from Popular Science for a gel hand sanitizer that is 60% alcohol, as recommended by the WHO.
Ingredients
1 cup of 91% isopropyl alcohol
½ cup of aloe vera gel (natural or store-bought)
15 drops of tea tree oil (or another antibacterial essential oil)
1. Pour the alcohol into a medium container with a pouring spout. Some recipes online use vodka instead of isopropyl alcohol, but most vodkas don’t contain a high enough percentage of alcohol to be effective.
Note: Using isopropyl alcohol diluted beyond 91% will result in a more weaker hand sanitizer that doesn’t meet the CDC’s 60% benchmark.
2. Measure and pour the aloe vera gel. Alcohol can be hard on your skin, so using aloe is a good way to counteract that effect and keep your hands smooth. If you want to keep things natural, you can use aloe vera gel straight from the plant without worrying about it going bad—the alcohol will act as a preservative. However, you will need to keep in mind that natural aloe gel is thicker than its store-bought counterpart and will thus affect the final product differently—it will make your hand sanitizer more sticky, which means you’ll need to rub your hands more times for it to fully absorb.
3. Add the essential oil. Tea tree oil is naturally antibacterial, so it makes sense to use it here. But if you’re not a fan of its smell, you can use another type of essential oil, like lavender, lemongrass, or eucalyptus.
4. Whisk. To fully mix all ingredients, stirring won’t be enough. Get a whisk and beat that hand sanitizer into an homogeneous gel.

https://www.wlox.com/2020/03/1...-hand-sanitzer-home/

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13404 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Drys off

That's your problem. Alcohol needs to stay wet for a minimum of 10 minutes to have any sanitizing affect. That's why ever clear is no good.

Not true. I was told directly by an ID doc that this bug is easy to kill on surfaces. Soap and water, sanitizer. I don't know if Everclear works, -- I assume that it does. But I am certain nothing needs to stay wet for 10 minutes for it to have any sanitizing effect.

Posts: 11392 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:
quote:
Drys off

Well, that can't be true. Hand sanitizer, as well as wipes that they use before drawing blood and other minor procedures, all are dry well withing 10 minutes. I don't know how long it has to stay on, but certainly not 10 minutes.

Now I do know that 70% alcohol is the most effective at killing most germs (whatever that means). Counter-intuitive, but 100% is less effective. Something about water solubility of cell walls.

Actual doctors, please comment.

Do not use anything (towel, napkin, etc..) to dry. Rub your hands until dry. This takes less than a minute. And, it ain't gonna be 10 minutes.
If your hands are real dirty (soiled), do not use hand sanitizers. Wash thoroughly with soap & water.

Q

Posts: 26427 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Real Everclear is 95% (unless you live in some nanny state requiring it watered down) which is why you can mix it 2 parts everclear and 1 part aloe vera gel to stay above the recommended 60% alcohol for hand sanitizer.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23296 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Makes a potent Screwdriver or a Bloody Mary also! Smile

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
It also makes excellent stove fuel in my alcohol burner. A single Nalgene bottle in my pack can supply heat for cooking, work as an antiseptic, and be added to instant hot chocolate in the evening.

No chance of ever drinking it "raw."

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
When I worked as a Vet Tech, the doc was a very, very old man. But he knew his stuff.

He kept a bottle of Everclear on his desk. I never asked why, just thought he had a drinking problem.

I eventually found out that it is used for dogs who ingest antifreeze. Since the liver can’t break down the ethylene glycol, they get an IV drip of Everclear, which is able to break down the ethylene glycol, and then the liver can filter it out. But the animals are very, very drunk for awhile.

I guess Everclear is like the duct tape of distilled spirits.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30413 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

We called it Purple Dragon. Or if we used pink colored stuff, Pink Panty Pull Down.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drink it! Whatever comes out of your pores will give you a full body clean! Cool

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post