SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to NOT tow a Jeep... 4lo 1st gear.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to NOT tow a Jeep... 4lo 1st gear. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I had a K1500 Chevy where a tooth on the planetary gear broke-off. I was less than 100yds from home and this god awful noise started. I could only imagine the noise that this thing endured before it died.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Pick up the totaled Wrangler for 10K . Drop 35K for a hemi conversion and have a great vehicle for 50K. Way cheaper than doing the conversion on an operable one.
'Or', buy a 2020 salvage auction Jeep with rear end damage, and swap the motor, tranny, and transfer case from it into this one and have a virtually new/stock Jeep for $30k. Best of all, that would be a fun project. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Many moons ago while living in student housing, a moving truck pulled up next door with a car in tow. My new neighbor worked his way over to my place where I was changing my brakes. He asked if I knew about cars. I said ‘reluctantly’. He asked if I could tell him why his transmission wouldn’t work. I walked over and asked how far he towed his auto trans rear wheel drive car on a tow dolly with the drive shaft installed. He said 2000 miles, but declared the trans was in neutral. I told him it doesn’t matter. He’ll need a new transmission. Face fades to white....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29711 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
She Blowed up!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
Beancooker,

How do you like your new toy so far?
I've always wanted one but never took the plunge.

Absolutely loving it. Wife loves it as well. Enough that next month we are taking a road trip through Nevada, into Death Valley on our way to Santa Monica. Definitely should be fun.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4028 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never had the luck to torch an entire drivetrain. But I have had 2 engines give up while driving them before once was a 69 Buick wildcat my friend and I swapped cars for the day and I was on my way to trade back. He had used my van to move. He neglected to tell me he was using a quart of oil per gas fill up. Well it nuked on the freeway. I jammed the trans into N and coasted to the next off ramp. This was pre cell phone days and I had to call him from 7-11 pay phone as well as AAA to get towed.

Another was my 72 blazer. A connecting rod broke at freeway speed and the rod and piston launched through the bottom of the oil pan it broke the cylinder wall to the point it couldn’t even be sleeved. V8 block was scrap iron. I bought a new engine then sold the rig.

Posts: 4776 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I don't RV and haven't towed anything more than an old Triumph, standard transmission, into the garage. Therefore my question: how does one tow a jeep behind an RV? I understand disconnecting the driveshafts but surely there is a better way. Trailer?

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 720 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
I don't RV and haven't towed anything more than an old Triumph, standard transmission, into the garage. Therefore my question: how does one tow a jeep behind an RV? I understand disconnecting the driveshafts but surely there is a better way. Trailer?

There is. To flat tow a Jeep, you put the transfer case into neutral which essentially disconnects the driveshafts. The transmission is then shifted into gear. I have a manual Jeep. There are a few more steps involved, but that's the gist of it.

This Jeep owner in the OP likely thought that he was in Neutral on the transfer case. Should've double and triple checked. It's an easy mistake to make.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
how does one tow a jeep behind an RV? I understand disconnecting the driveshafts but surely there is a better way. Trailer?

Very few people pull drive shafts on passenger type cars. Heavy duty trucks will often have their drive shaft or axle shafts removed when being towed.

Some vehicles, Jeeps are a good example, are built to be flat towed. You put a tow bar on the front and hitch it to your RV. The towed vehicle rolls on all 4 of its own wheels in neutral.

The majority of passenger vehicles can not be towed this way. Without the engine running the transmission isn't pumping fluid through it. As the wheels roll, the drive shaft turns, and the transmission has rotating parts without proper lubrication.

Option two is to use a tow dolly. These work best with front or rear wheel drive vehicles. You put the drive side on the dolly, and the non drive side on the road.

Option three is a trailer.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This exact situation is my recurring nightmare when we tow our Jeep behind our RV. It's on my checklist twice!

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
There wasn’t even a crease in the car payment book yet Wink

Posts: 13279 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post