SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Special Ops Soldier Arrested on Charges of Cocaine Smuggling using a military aircraft
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Special Ops Soldier Arrested on Charges of Cocaine Smuggling using a military aircraft Login/Join 
posted
https://www.military.com/daily...ocaine-colombia.html

Northwest Florida Daily News, Fort Walton Beach 19 Aug 2018 By Jim Thompson

A 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne) soldier has been arrested for allegedly attempting to smuggle nearly 90 pounds of cocaine from Colombia into the United States, according to an NBC News report.

The report, sourced to two unidentified U.S. defense officials, says Master Sgt. Daniel Gould was arrested Monday after U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agents "found 40 kilograms of cocaine in two military backpacks on a military airplane in Colombia."

Contacted Saturday, Lt. Col. Robert Bockholt, director of public affairs at U.S. Army Special Operations Command, said Colombian authorities were alerted to the presence of the cocaine by an unidentified Special Operations Command soldier. But according to Bockholt, the cocaine never actually made it onto the aircraft.

The NBC News report indicated the plane departing from Colombia was headed for Eglin Air Force Base, and that Gould had returned to the United States before the cocaine was discovered. It was not clear how the cocaine was tied specifically to Gould, and Bockholt would not comment on that aspect of the NBC News report.

No information on the incident was available from the Drug Enforcement Administration on Saturday afternoon.

The NBC News report said Gould is assigned to the 7th Group. Maj. Kimbia Rey, public affairs officer at the 7th Group headquarters near Crestview, and Col. Patrick Colloton, commander of the 7th Group, referred additional questions to Army Special Operations Command.

Bockholt's official comments on the incident, which did not mention Gould by name, were contained in a two-sentence response to an inquiry from the Northwest Florida Daily News, the same statement provided to NBC News.

"We are aware of recent allegations concerning a U.S. soldier assigned under U.S. Army Special Operations Command for reportedly attempting to smuggle narcotics from Colombia into the U.S.," Bockholt said in the statement. "We are cooperating fully with law enforcement officials concerning this matter. In order to protect the integrity of the investigation and the rights of the individual, there is no additional information available for release at this time."

According to a 2010 Army news release, Gould was awarded a Silver Star, the nation's third-highest military honor, for actions during the 7th Group's 2007-08 deployment to Afghanistan. The 7th Group moved from Fort Bragg, North Carolina, to Eglin in 2011.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pretty ballsy - but lots of unanswered questions

SOCOM definitely attracts and retains a higher caliber of soldier - but they still must be supervised as this type of case demonstrates

wonder if we will ever know the full story

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
How did he do it, everyone knows that SF likes to "wink wink" break / lose all their toys on deployments, was he was carrying 90lbs of snow in his TDY bag? Big Grin

A lot weirder things have been "smuggled" home in TA-50, conexes...or "sensitive radio equipment" , glad to hear someone called him out.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A modern day Frank Lucas?? American Gangster, a true story of how heroin was shipped to the United States.

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the first details I did as an MP was to go through those conex containers of peoples personal stuff coming back from down range. I found a few sex toys which were funny, but one time I found a box of live 9mm ammo and you woulda thought I found 90lb of coke..
if I had known that it was going to be that huge of a deal I would have just tossed that box of ammo in a trash can.. I bet the dude it belonged to was a civilian not long after that.

Posts: 3392 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
He got greedy. 90 lbs.?

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sgt Peterson got caught

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think he was set up. He had already flown home, so why did he have 2 bags that weren’t flown home yet? Sounds like someone else was the smuggler and put his name on them and was planning on having someone else intercept them when they get stateside. Won’t be able to prove they were his without a confession. If he wasn’t stateside already, I’d think differently.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Many questions need to be asked here.
I wouldn't take it at face value.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5294 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
This soldier dishonored himself and gives a bad name to all the SOF who hold themselves to incredibly high standards.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Many questions need to be asked here.
I wouldn't take it at face value.

I agree. Create a diversion with a 40 kilogram bust involving Army Special Forces over "here" while over "there" a CONEX with 10,000 kilos slips by and heads down the road.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32050 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’m waiting until the facts are solidified before condemning him. If it is true, I would be very much interested in his connections in both Columbia and the US. You don’t just waltz in with 40 kilos and no plan already in place for distribution.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Running afoul of the law is more common than you would think. The leeway that is given to soldiers (SF or otherwise) is astounding.

If you have a commander that cares about what happens to you, he'll be giving you the speech about "staying on the reservation" often. It goes hand in hand with the reminder that you're not above the law, despite the incredible freedom and responsibility you're given in order to accomplish the mission.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was what Air America was for!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Private stash. No secret those guys like performance enhancers. Surprised it wasn't amphetamine.

Just because he's SF doesn't mean he's a saint. They have bad apples too. If this was for him, I see it as a victimless crime.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Private stash. No secret those guys like performance enhancers. Surprised it wasn't amphetamine.

90 pounds ain’t no private stash

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:

I'm sure he'd share with his friends. Big Grin

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:

LOL. That’s a lot friends.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:

LOL. That’s a lot friends.

Or a lot of hookers....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by White Phosphorus:
Running afoul of the law is more common than you would think. The leeway that is given to soldiers (SF or otherwise) is astounding.

I've found this to be quite true. You have a group of people who are separate from the "regular" Army and who get away with stuff that Soldiers normally wouldn't. They keep taking it further and further each time because they want to see how far they can take it.

Uniform standard? Shaving standard? Nah...

Posts: 13312 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post