SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Match - Tiger vs. Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Match - Tiger vs. Phil Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
Anyone watch the Tiger/Phil match? Was certainly underwhelming. Kinda the opposite of epic. There were a bunch of short putts missed. The longest putt made was just inside 15ft. Even announcer Charles Barkley said at one point "This is some crappy golf. I could beat these guys today."

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
HoHum. Another way for the network to fill our brains with more commercials than anything else.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I love these guys but wasn't about to pay extra to see an exhibition . Eek

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Aw gee, I missed it!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2084 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I love golf and I'm a fan of Phil M. but no way was I going drop $20 to watch an over hyped match. I'm glad that Phil won however.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I would have paid $20 for pay per view if it had been about 12 years ago.

Now, they're both past their golfing prime and the competitive (and probably also personal) tension between them that would have made it interesting is gone.

I'd rather have watched a match between two more currently relevant or entertaining golfers.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
No way I would pay money to see that match!
When I can watch all the golf I want for free why would I pay to watch 2 guys that have been struggling?
Both guys can put together a good round here and there, maybe even a good tourney but no way I'm paying to watch a Ryder Cup stinkfest re-run.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bleacher Report streamed it fro free after they had a problem with their PPV, so I watched the last 6 holes. It was entertaining enough for the day after Thanksgiving.

Posts: 2478 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I didn't watch, but the whole idea seems manufactured. The 'rivalry'. The grins and chatter down each fairway.

And the side betting - $200k on a first hole birdie. $1M on another hole I think. Seems insensitive to say the least - I'm not sure why showcasing the fact that you can throw a ton of money around is entertainment.

If the producers wanted to showcase how these guys are not the everyman, job well done!

I don't think most people cared about this, because it wasn't real competition.

I could be wrong - I didn't watch.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Bleacher Report streamed it fro free after they had a problem with their PPV, so I watched the last 6 holes. It was entertaining enough for the day after Thanksgiving.

I watched it at bleacherreport as well. Tuned in as they were on the 7th, with Phil 1-up.

Lots of missed putts. A few, really generous “gimme’s”, especially the way they were putting.

Tiger’s chip-in on 17th to send it back all-square was pretty sweet, especially since Phil had a chance to win the match on that hole, and surprise surprise, he missed his putt.

They both played 18th hole pretty well, in regulation...then both stunk it up in extra holes.

Glad I didn’t pay for it, as it was pretty bland.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post