SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rick Nelson, Musician, Songwriter, Actor. Birthday Story
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rick Nelson, Musician, Songwriter, Actor. Birthday Story Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
I actually missed his birthday by a couple days, he would have been 82 on May 8th, had he lived.

I’ve got a Rick Nelson story.

Not long after we were married, my wife I took a job on a horse breeding and training farm up around Santa Ynez, California. This would have been the mid-80s. The owners of the horse farm had quite a lot of show business connections and David Nelson, Rick’s older brother, came up for the weekend.

The veterinarian and I were preg checking some mares when the owner brought David into the breeding barn to watch. It wasn’t very long after Rick’s death, and all I could think of to say is, “Sorry about your brother; I was a fan.” He nodded his head, said thanks, and gave a half-smile.

Just those few words made a connection though, and later that weekend we sat out behind a barn and talked—for a long time. I grew up watching “Ozzie and Harriet,” and here I was sitting with my back to the barn while David chain-smoked cigarettes, and we talked a lot about Rick. I can tell you without hesitation, the two of them were close, very close, and David’s heart ached from his death.

I’ll add that I really was a fan. I thought the music he was making with the Stone Canyon Band was really good.
I think he would’ve created some really memorable music.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Cool story! I also watched Ozzie and Harriet and enjoyed Ricky Nelson's music. In the band I was in we played a couple of Ricky Nelson songs, "Travelin Man", which I sang. I also played the lead guitar part on "Travelin Man" in the fashion of James Burton. We of course also did "Hello Mary Lou".

Nice remembrance. Smile

Posts: 6632 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
He did some great songs.

Wasn't much of an actor, though.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
He did some great songs.

I thought he did a pretty fair job as the young confident without being cocky gunslinger “Colorado” in Rio Bravo. Of course he didn’t have to carry a film that had the likes of John Wayne, Dean Martin Walter Brennan and Angie Dickinson. It’s in the top 5, maybe top 3 of John Wayne’s Westerns.

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
He did some great songs.

I had to go look it up. I recalled a tv show where he played a killer and a pimp who lured young girls into prostitution. Turns out it was an episode of Streets of San Francisco, the series with Karl Malden and Michael Douglas. As I recall, he was chilling in that role.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Thanks for bringing Rick Nelson up, TMats, huge fan.
No pretense in that voice, so simple and pure. Even his early stuff had great backup too.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8364 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Yeah the late '50s is when his tunes captivated me. These were my late pre-teen years and still remind me of crushes I had back then.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't we all been "Poor Little Fools" I know I have!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I can tell you this...as a 10 year old with a radio in 1957, Ricky Nelson was huge. His songs were playing constantly...it was music you could dance to and everybody did.

Of course having the great James Burton as your lead guitarist didn't hurt either. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5050 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I remember trying to comb my hair like him. Just didn’t happen. Lol I’ve always loved his music.

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Matt and “ Gunn” “ Gunnar” are customers and friends of mine , lots of wonderful stuff!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post