SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Owners Insurance with a pool.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Owners Insurance with a pool. Login/Join 
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Here is Texas an in ground pool is not a big deal. When we installed ours, I called my insurance agent to notify them. They had 2 questions: 1.) Do you have a fence and gate around your backyard (Yes) 2.) Do you have a diving board (No). It raised my premiums around $50/year. Not a big deal at all.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6143 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok
We have lived in this house since 97. Installed an inground pool in 99. Have raised 3 kids here. No issues, no worries. The biggest hassle was the contractor that built the pool. He was a tool.
Other than that it has been a great investment. This was the house the kids were at. Could keep an eye on them. And no, this was not the party house. Even with the kids gone, and leaving we still enjoy the pool.
Now our insurance umbrella covers the pool, and any other activities we do here. There was no code for a pool however we fenced it and gated it. Once again no issues.

As far as maintainence, it takes about 15 min a day. Everything is pretty automated.
Looking back I’m glad we made the investment.

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^ I'm curious why you call it an investment.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30437 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I've had a pool for the last eight years and wil l never be without one. I use it about 4-5x per week and our season in AZ goes from mid-April to late Sept., and that's with me being a total cold water wuss. My folks could handle it year round. Never had any big repairs or problems and I DIY just about everything.

It will happen eventually, those big repairs. It ain’t if it’s when.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12661 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I've had a pool for the last eight years and wil l never be without one.

Do you have a screened enclosure like they use in Florida, or are flying bugs not an issue? How do you keep scorpions and the like out of your pool?

The scorpions, and other critters drown and are sucked off the bottom by Agnes, the Polaris cleaner. A pool is an easy thing to maintain, except to those that don't know.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
^^^ I'm curious why you call it an investment.

It was an investment. It cost money in materials and labor.

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Go insurance shopping. I have Encompass as my carrier, above ground pool 54" and a locking ladder when we initially installed. I now have a partial deck with a locking gate. Cost me $50 to add it to our existing policy which included home/auto/umbrella coverage.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
We had an in-ground, chlorinated, 20' X 40' pool growing up. We had both a slide and a diving board. The first few years were rough as far as maintenance were concerned. After a few years my dad got everything dialed in and it wasn't a big deal. The biggest PITA was Spring opening and Fall closing. My dad is a bit anal retentive when it comes to cleaning and maintenance, so everything had to be just perfect. It was an entire day for us kids during opening and closing. We had the pool installed in 1982 or so. I moved away to CO in 1995. He sold the house in 2012. AFAIK, the new owners still have it.

Many happy memories with the pool. If it wasn't so cold at 7,400 feet elevation I might consider getting one. It's so much better than some nasty community pool.

With both a slide and a diving board, I guess I am lucky to still be alive.

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post