SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are there any horns out there that don't operate on a 12V battery, that can be remote activated with a key fob..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there any horns out there that don't operate on a 12V battery, that can be remote activated with a key fob.. Login/Join 
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted
I'm wanting to mount a horn in a tree that can be activated with a remote key. Anything like that?

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14013 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
No, but I'd like one also -- (lovely neighbors).

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5351 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Buy this, get any 12v horn and a small battery, (like home alarm panel/UPS about 7 amp hour) put everything in a Tupperware type bin, with the horn on the outside, and have a party.

You could add a small solar panel to keep the battery tended.

Remote key fob and receiver/controller.

Horns are high amperage so your going to need a battery, unless you run an extension cord.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43922 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Air horns run on compressed air.

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Buy this, get any 12v horn and a small battery, (like home alarm panel/UPS about 7 amp hour) put everything in a Tupperware type bin, with the horn on the outside, and have a party.

You could add a small solar panel to keep the battery tended.

Remote key fob and receiver/controller.

Horns are high amperage so your going to need a battery, unless you run an extension cord.

I got almost that exact setup for a practical joke with an old car horn. I'll let you know how it goes. Big Grin

I'm using a smaller 12v battery also found on Amazon.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6090 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

This is my thought. Depends on the duration needed, but air horns and a tank of compressed air. But you will still need electricity to power the remote control, but that can be a small battery as this is pretty low current draw. And of course you’ll have to retrieve the tank to refill it when necessary.

For a one time use, you could wire two 6 volt lantern batteries in series to get the 12 volts you need to operate the remote control. I’m guessing that would last a month, maybe more. And some of those tanks/horns leak air, so you’d have to really nail that down.

Another issue is the range on the remote- typically a few hundred feet. Of course there are ways to use cell phones, but that’s beyond my expertise. And I’d be really careful discussing that online, lest you draw undue attention.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Try a vibratone horn and a good extension cord.

Hide the cord going to an outdoor outlet. Most have a switch controlling them from inside.

Depending on where you need it, this may be your loudest option.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
^^^^^^^^^ Ran a electric air horn on the motorcycle to make up for the "weak" factory horn.. Small compact but LOUD....... Aftermarket auto suppliers like auto zone/advanced auto/harbor freight/etc.... used the motorcycle horn button as a trigger switch thru a relay due to the current draw was to much for factory horn circuit wiring.....No storage tank required. ...drill sgt.

Posts: 2024 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
With air horns, I was thinking of simplicity where the horns would be mounted. Mount the horns, run air hose to that location. The complicated bits, compressor, tank, and solenoid, would all be at the house.

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
You can get a air horn in the sports/boat if section of Walmart…plastic horn on top of a can of compressed gas.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sup...ir-Horn-8oz/36193178

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11306 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
You can get a air horn in the sports/boat if section of Walmart…plastic horn on top of a can of compressed gas.

He wants an air horn that can be operated by remote control .

Posts: 4070 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^ I don’t have ALL the answers man….

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11306 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe:
....wanting to mount a horn in a tree .......

Wait, what? I have many questions........

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10940 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

He wants an air horn that can be operated by remote control .

RC radio to move a servo to depress air horn …

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe:
....wanting to mount a horn in a tree .......

Wait, what? I have many questions........

At least he doesn't want to mount a dead animal. That crosses the line between kinky and perversion.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19708 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post