SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Email Encryption
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Email Encryption Login/Join 
Picture of jprebb
posted
A friend of mine has a small business (5 employees) and they want to be able to send and receive encrypted emails.

I'd like to find something that will integrate into Outlook 365.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
www.protonmail.com

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I use ProtonMail.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Citrix sharefile is excellent. Also recommend 2 factor authentication for owa! Insist on that for email security.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5136 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:

I didn't realize there was native support for encryption within Outlook 365. Do you know of any drawbacks?

I was looking into Virtru. Do any one of you have an opinion on thier services?

Thanks!
JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the question is protect from what and who.

Microsoft can read from the data stored on their servers and will forward the same to a government legal request

Can you be more specific as to the goals of the encryption

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Protonmail.

Strongest encryption out there. I would never trust my e-mail security to a Microsoft product. Especially if i wanted to keep my conversations secure from entities like governments.

If you use protonmail's client products or their website and other people do the same its extremely strong end to end encryption.

When the hackers like protonmail you know its good thing.

Posts: 3 | Registered: November 13, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
There’s also free, open source, PGP (Pretty Good Privacy).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9014 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
the question is protect from what and who.

Microsoft can read from the data stored on their servers and will forward the same to a government legal request

Can you be more specific as to the goals of the encryption

This is the real question. You have to know the end-to-end expectations to determine the effectiveness. Simply blurting out a Brand and bashing Microsoft is a poor ineffective answer.

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
This is for a title company and sometimes they have need to email financial documents. Not sure what they've been doing up until now.

I'm not sure that true end-to-end encryption is necessary, but let's assume it is for now.

Protonmail looks like it is a bad fit because they want to continue to use their existing email addresses as well as Outlook 365.

Given these constraints is there an end-to-end encryption solution that would work for us?

Thanks!
JP

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I use ProtonMail for my lawyer email - you can port over domains rather easily.

It is also a VERY SIMPLE way to have clients use encrypted email. If they can use Gmail, they can download the app, and set up an address and use ProtonMail, and they seem to get the idea of “only use this app/email to send me anything”

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
PGP works, but, frankly, if you are asking for advice, you’ll probably struggle to keep/get it implemented.

What about Slack instead?

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post