SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone with experience putting a pet door in a glass patio door?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone with experience putting a pet door in a glass patio door? Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Does anyone use a pet door that requires the pet to wear a radio collar so only it is allowed entry? It would be required here to keep the skunks and other critters out.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
The idea of a pet door either in the door or wall is how do you keep out unwanted critters and vermin from entering the building ??? Especially the two legged vermin!! I am sure there have been incidents where some person or persons has used these doors to gain entry for reasons not in favor with the homeowner. .................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2022 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
The idea of a pet door either in the door or wall is how do you keep out unwanted critters and vermin from entering the building

Read my post above yours...

They make them that only open if a pet wearing a radio collar is in close proximity.

I looked at them briefly a couple years ago but not seriously.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info- size doesn’t matter, but I live in the frozen north, so a hardy breed has become more important to me. Never cared for cats, so I was surprised at myself when our old cat passed that I decided to get another. I have allergies, so I chose a Bengal. While our kitty is strictly indoor, she still sneaks out for a quick run to the front of the yard, and then back to the back door. She is here short term, though, as her kidneys failed last year, so she needs SQ fluids regularly. No problem, but at some point, it won’t be enough.
I want a doglike personality that is independent (because I can’t cuddle or have them in my bed), but I can pet, care, and play with it.
Thanks for the info. Personally, I’d hate to do anything to that beautiful arrangement of glass that you have- someone mentioned another possible outdoor access point?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5342 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Based on the picture, get a new door made with the pet door built in. Keep the old door for when it comes time to sell the house.

Or, pick a different location in the house to install a pet door.

Posts: 11008 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Based on the picture, get a new door made with the pet door built in. Keep the old door for when it comes time to sell the house.

Or, pick a different location in the house to install a pet door.

I'm pretty sure trapper189 and a few others are on target... As far as I know you can't cut tempered glass and it will shatter ... I think you would be better off replacing the door as suggested with a glass panel above the pet door... just keep the original door in case you move and new owners want it installed back.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
RE: sensor controlled pet door. We had one of those and they are good for limiting access to the door.

The one we had used a magnetic sensor that lived on the collar, and the door clicked loudly as the sensor was detected and the latch engaged. The sound took a while for the cats to deal with, but they learned and it worked fine.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. It sounds like we should contact a pro that specializes in installing Moore products in glass, and see what develops after they look at the existing setup.

Posts: 15036 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Thanks for the info- size doesn’t matter, but I live in the frozen north, so a hardy breed has become more important to me. Never cared for cats, so I was surprised at myself when our old cat passed that I decided to get another. I have allergies, so I chose a Bengal. While our kitty is strictly indoor, she still sneaks out for a quick run to the front of the yard, and then back to the back door. She is here short term, though, as her kidneys failed last year, so she needs SQ fluids regularly. No problem, but at some point, it won’t be enough.
I want a doglike personality that is independent (because I can’t cuddle or have them in my bed), but I can pet, care, and play with it.
Thanks for the info. Personally, I’d hate to do anything to that beautiful arrangement of glass that you have- someone mentioned another possible outdoor access point?
From the photo, it appears that there is a section of wall to the right of the fixed glass panel that still abuts the fenced area--could the door be installed there?

Maine Coons are not the only large cats. I've had 3 that were 20 pounds or more (1 still with me) and none of them were Maine Coons. Rusty (now dead) weighed 26 pounds and he was just a normal short-haired Tabby. His younger brother Spike weighed at least 20 pounds, and he died last year. My long-haired white Smudge also weighs at least 20 pounds (he sheds a LOT).

My indoor cats visit a screened-in balcony off a 2nd floor bedroom using a pet door installed instead of one pane of a French Door. Because it opens into a screened area, I don't get strays coming into the house.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
She is here short term, though, as her kidneys failed last year, so she needs SQ fluids regularly. No problem, but at some point, it won’t be enough.
Sorry to read that. Chonic kidney disease is what got my Splash 6 weeks ago. She was on Sub-Q fluids from August until her passing.

Have you found Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline CKD yet? There is a voluminous amount of information in there and several things made Splash's life better:
  • My vet prescribed a phosphorus binder, but it was a battle since it was a people grade mint flavored antacid and Splash hated it with a passion. The website let me know that compounding pharmacies can make palatable phosphorus binder so I called the compounding pharmacy and lo and behold they could make chicken flavored phosphorus binder. I called the vet, she didn't know about it, she called in a prescription, and Splash loved it. I just put it on top of her food as a gravy and she self-administered it. I even tasted some and it was the best tasting antacid I've ever tried.
  • Splash went through a rough patch where she quit eating her prescription low phosphorous food. Thanks to the website, I already knew that Gerbers 2nd Foods Meats (choices are ham, chicken, turkey, and beef) were low in phosphorous and cats liked them. I mixed in some liquid b-complex, some taurine (very important as cats can't synthesize this essential ammino), and Splash resumed eating. Her favorite was ham, and surprisingly it was lower sodium than all of the others.
  • The website also provides some feeding strategies to get your cat to eat.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
    up stream
    Picture of PR64
    posted Hide Post
    I recently put in a sliding glass screen door with a dog door in it for my Pug.

I don't know if that's an option for you.

It has lowered the door slave issues quite a bit...

-----------------------------------
    Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
    Sig P-229
    Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3496 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of smlsig
    posted Hide Post
    Patio doors are usually double glazed panels that have a vacuumed pulled between the panes and most have some sort of inert gas between them. If you were to cut the glass you would obviously break the seal and insulating properties of the panel would be gone.
    Also, the glass is tempered which would make it extremely difficult to cut in place.

------------------
    Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of james_1234
    posted Hide Post
    We had one installed on a sliding door. I would not do that again. I thought the door would fully slide open but the dog door prevent that. In your case with the hinged door should be no problem. I would have a window professional do it. They cut and sealed the 2 pane windows for us and inserted the dog door. I would not attempt that myself.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post