SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone with experience putting a pet door in a glass patio door?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone with experience putting a pet door in a glass patio door? Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted
My 20lb Maine Coon loves the patio, but I'm getting tired of being the door slave.

I've found some pet doors that can be mounted (professionally) in glass patio doors, and was wondering if anyone here had tried that, and if so how it worked out.

Cost looks high but manageable, based on this supplier: Moore Pet - in-glass pet doors

Details:
My patio door is a hinged one, not a slider. Cat is large enough (with back feet on the ground, he can put his front paws up on the kitchen counter and look down at the bowl I'm fixing for him) that it'd need to be a medium size dog door.

Anyway, if anyone has experience with doing this, or with Moore Pet doors, or general advice for cat-patio-entrance-solutions, I'd be grateful for your sharing your thoughts.

Posts: 15036 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
What does the wall next to the patio door consist of?

Putting a pet tunnel door in the wall might be cheaper and simpler.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Is there a regular window on the patio?

We put this in the window, works great and built very well.

https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-P...2Y7JZYHMTT3V6RDNYFQ6

Posts: 5349 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
At those prices, you are better off buying a storm door with the pet door included. I replaced mine with this, plus they do free installation.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LARSO...x-79-875-in/50374416

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
What does the wall next to the patio door consist of?

All glass, unfortunately. Well, 'unfortunately' in this context...we like the natural light coming in.
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Is there a regular window on the patio?

No windows, unfortunately.

Posts: 15036 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
MIL put in a tall glass panel with pet door kit at the bottom. $125 plus install. It took the cat just a few minutes to figure it out once I got her used to the magnetic catch. But the patio door becomes a fixed pane.

Pet Patio Door Insert

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
some pictures would help.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maine Coon

Damn, that is a big cat! Never heard of that breed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weebcQPRGUE

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
No knowledge about the door, but I was going to ask about your cat’s personality... I’ve been looking at them and Norwegian forest cats.
Do they shed a ton? Friendly, engaging, tolerate being independent? Sorry bout the drift!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5342 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Unless you've got a pane of glass to practice making precision cuts on, I strongly suggest a glazier. If you mess up you'll take out your whole door.

Posts: 27999 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
How about a pet door insert, like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Pat...id=1613149071&sr=8-6

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2845 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Question: Is your patio door dual pane glass? If you cut the glass you will degrade the integrity of the thermal properties of the seal around the glass and suffer fogging between the panes.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Maine Coons are the greatest cats, in my opinion. Very dog-like in their nature.
My Roxanne was one, and I miss her dearly. Great personality. </thread drift>

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Aren’t most (or all) glass doors made with tempered glass? I’m pretty sure you can’t cut tempered glass without it shattering.

Posts: 26939 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't figure out how that retro fit into a glass door works. First I thought that glass doors were tempered glass (pretty sure all sliders are for sure) and tempered glass cannot be cut, it shatters when cut or broken. Secondly even if the glass is not tempered and could be cut most if not all doors have dual panes and cutting them would break the seal and loose the vacuum. You would have fogging issues immediately.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
No knowledge about the door, but I was going to ask about your cat’s personality... I’ve been looking at them and Norwegian forest cats.
Do they shed a ton? Friendly, engaging, tolerate being independent? Sorry bout the drift!

Simba's personality is excellent, as I expected/hoped doing prior research. Got him from a local breeder, got his papers after he was fixed. Pedigreed, pure Maine Coon. I got to meet his mom and dad. Huge, beautiful cats.

Simba, as kitten:

He's friendly and follows me around the house. Likes attention, is smart as a whip and learns quickly. I taught him I'd whistle when I was at the front door, and if he's out he'll come running most of the time when I whistle. On the down side, learning quickly means he figures out cat-toys so they have limited lives. After a while chasing the dot, he figured out it was my hand doing the work, and he just stares at the laser pointer in my hand rather than chasing the dot.

He's vocal, not generally loud but he expresses himself, and you get to know what he's on about after a while. Purrs a lot, too.

He is independent, though, and while he greets me when I come home, when I'm gone he usually finds my wife and hangs with her, or finds a place to snooze. He likes getting petted, and will nap nearby, but after he left kittenhood behind he doesn't fit on laps anymore, and no longer tries.

A 20 pound cat of any breed has a lot of fur, so 'sheds a lot' is probably a fair statement. I'd have to say more like continuous shedding rather than great gobs all at once when seasons change. I have a long-hair Furminator and that works great. He likes to go outside and get 'mulch' so I try to brush him soon after I let him in.

We went large breed because we are in the sticks, and I didn't want to have to worry about any of our local fauna (raccoons, opossums, foxes, etc.) getting my cat. He's 20 pounds of pure muscle, and while he is pretty calm, if he ever kicks it into gear he is one long blur of speed - very high power to weight ratio - and if put to it he's got teeth and claws to scale. So it's more like they'd have to worry about Simba, than vice versa.

For scale, Simba as adult (2 years, 20lb.)

We're very happy with him.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
some pictures would help.

Good idea!

Here's the screen porch door, in the center. It opens inward to the house, and is flanked on both sides by immobile glass side panels.

Current thinking is to have some glass professionals install a cat door in the glass. I guess it could be done either in the door or in one of the panels, whichever would be easier for the installers.

posted Hide Post
Another option to consider. Put a pet door in the wall in the laundry room or utility room.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once owned multiple half wild cats that were not content to just stay indoors. Damned if half of them wanted out and half of them wanted in. So I feel your pain. Based your photos, I would talk to the local glass shop or window store about a shortened glass panel on the right hand side that would adapt to a pet door panel.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16120 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We use Moore pet doors and really like their quality. We prefer in-the-wall type doors, though. We currently have their largest size, which they call the Behemoth, because we have an Irish Wolfhound.

Here is a before and after Behemoth picture. I replaced the smaller door when we got the Wolfhound. The dog in the picture is an Ibizan Hound, not nearly as tall as a Wolfhound, but still 70lbs and fast.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post