SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hand(manual) garden weeding tools that work?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hand(manual) garden weeding tools that work? Login/Join 
posted
I realize the hoe is about the most versatile weeding/tilling for a tightly spaced garden but I feel someone has had to make a tool that is a little more efficient than a hoe.

I've tried a 3-Tine Garden Cultivator which works great if you stay on top of the weeding but if you let anything get larger than 3" it just clogs itself and isn't that fast by the time you unclog it.

Anyone willing to share what has worked for them.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm watching this for anything useful.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12794 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have something like this that is pretty good in general, though doesn’t deal well with soil with lots of stones.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-c...e/hoes/69740-hula-ho

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2365 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^ I have one of of those, it's not real narrow, but it works great, I call it my Push-Pull Scuffler, it oscillates. If you have narrow areas to weed it just doesn't work well, it's too wide. You can get a lot done quickly and easily if you keep it sharp.

I have a stainless steel hoe with a 1.5 to 2 inch wide blade. IIRC it's made in England and I purchased it from an importer or vendor in the Denver CO area.

I can't recall the name but I may still have the invoice and packing slip. I did a Google search and the nearest I can find is a Sneeboer brand made in Holland. EDIT: This looks identical to mine, check it out, go to their HOE section Sneeboer USA Link They're not cheap, they're not Chinese made crap, these are quality tools and will last a long long time. Here is what I'm talking about Stainless Narrow Hoe Link

Anyway, I have a lot of closely placed plants and this narrow 2 inch wide stainless steel hoe is the cats meow. It's quick and easy to use this thing, it just stays sharp.

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
For weeds, I much prefer composted non-dyed mulch as it doesn't steal nitrogen (wood chips steal much needed nitrogen to decompose), holds moisture, blocks most weeds, and is much less work than ground breaking tools.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23308 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife uses primarily a Japanese Weeding Sickle (Nejiri Gama).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Fiskars weed puller, the most fun tool I own.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WEJz2tGcYY

Unlike the video, I bust the dirt off the roots, back into the hole it creates. The puller acts as a cane allowing you to bend over more easily.
Less effective if the ground is too dry or too wet but there's also a lovely clack-clack sound.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8357 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have a small yard, and not many weeds. I have been using a tool that is used in the coffee roasting business. It’s called a tryer. As in trying out or getting green beans out of a burlap sack without cutting the bag open.
Unfortunately I am not sure where to buy one. I have had this one for 16 years. It was a gift from Bruno, who owned Brauna Coffee from Brazil. I imagine they would be easy enough to make from a piece of pipe.
Anyways, they work great at getting the root, and not making a big mess if the landscaping.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
My wife uses primarily a Japanese Weeding Sickle (Nejiri Gama).

These work.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I've found that a scuffle hoe and a winged weeder both work better than a traditional hoe for weed removal.

The scuffle hoe is particularly good. SigJacket's link is out of stock but amazon has both.

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Who builds a better barn? Is it the group with the best of tools or the knowledgeable crew with well used, but older tools?

Much comes down to the operator & time spent. I had just as much firewood before I broke down & bought my nice woodsplitter.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Garden Weasel!

garden weasel.com

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a variety of good quality manual weeding tools available from Anne and Blake Schreck: The Garden Tool Company. They used to be located in Denver but moved to Texas. They carry high quality tools that are enjoyable to use...
Kevin

Posts: 130 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
The Rogue Hoe does a great job in tight places. The 2.5” model works well in tight spots, the 6” model is the one I use regularly in a vegetable garden. Made in the USA.

Rogue Hoe

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Hula hoe is good.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Lots of good stuff if you dig deep in this site forestry suppliers

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wolf Garten makes a tool they call a draw hoe. It is a German company and is a two piece tool. The handle and the tool are sold separately. The handle can be short or long. We use the short handled ones for weeding around tomatoes and melons. We bought them from Gempler's in Wisconson.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found one of those hoop hoes at an estate sale for $5. Actually made in Detroit. Works great. You can also get a wheeled version which I covet, but is over $300. I agree that you need to stay on top of the weeds. I think what makes it effective is cutting the roots off without stirring up new weed seeds in the process.
Just found one at johnnys seeds for $160 or so

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I put black plastic down for my dozen tomato plants. Keeps most of the weeds out and water and heat in.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gardening report

54" bully 12 gauge sadly doesn't cut very well, I think I will need to thin the blade angle on the cutting edge

But man oh man mini hula ho is amazing!

Thanks for all the great input, these are an amazing an amazing design.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post