SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Dog DNA Test Rattles Secrets From Buddy’s Family Tree
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Dog DNA Test Rattles Secrets From Buddy’s Family Tree Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I had a fleeting thought that a Welsh terrier could give birth to a sheepdog, but I don't think it works like that.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:

Great pic. And it's easy to see who the pack leader is ![/QUOTE]

Little lulu really does run the show. We never had a tiny one before her and I gotta say, she’s amazing!

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I love that DNA tests are available for dogs. I’m planning on getting one for my miniature troll Schnauzer that I appropriately named Maverick.

He has some blue/gray in his eyes which makes me wonder where he got that and I am considering breeding him so a DNA test seems like a smart move.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
The shelter we got our last dog from said Great Pyranese mix.
The wife had the DNA test done.
It came back Akita and Pit for the greatest part.
Another one who thinks she's a lap dog.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My wife had the DNA testing run on all three of our sighthounds. Two are "purebred" and both came back basically their breed, with some odd additions giving minor contributions. Our rescue Greyhound was supposedly 50% Greyhound, and her test confirmed that much. The other 50% was surprising, including a Newfie with a major percentage, plus some other unexpected breeds giving minor contributions. She basically looks like a Greyhound, but with a wire coat. She has the typical sighthound body shape, Greyhound size, and defintely the speed. She is perhaps the fastest sighthound we've ever had. Due to ignorant breeding by the previous owner (no concept of genes and what combinations might bring out bad genes), she was born totally deaf, but she is a darling.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Koda, my Huskita (Akita/Siberian)

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post