SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HELP!! Word document just disappeared
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP!! Word document just disappeared Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Ok, so I am typing away, no problem, and I have no idea what the hell I did because POOF my whole paper just disappeared. Its just a blank gray screen, nothing there. Not an empty page, just nothing. No option to hit "back" or undo.

WTF... this is hours of work!!!

Can anyone help? I think its 365

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Was Word set for automatic backup (e.g., like every 15 minutes)? If so, there should be a directory word saves the document to.

Go into Word Options, under "Save".

Posts: 9251 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Isn't there an "undo" button on word?

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1735 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Ctrl + Z to undo.

Ctrl + S to save.

I haven't lost a word doc in years. Even if the program crashes, word will open a "recovery" version of the file the next time you open it. Assuming you have a recent-ish version of word... 2010 or later I think.

But generally speaking, you should be hitting Ctrl+S periodically while working on your document to make sure you have a saved copy.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife’s laptop would do that occasionally. No rhyme or reason. I refuse to use it for word documents now.

Never did figure it out. It would have been a destroyed laptop if I had kept trying it.

Sorry that I don’t have an answer for you though. I feel your pain.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
Was it a Word doc opened directly from an email? If so you probably can't recover it.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AS.A.LAST.RESORT... reboot your computer and start up Word. It may try to recover your file. LAST.RESORT!

Posts: 7670 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23192 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Did you perchance accidentally hit a different button on your toolbar and it pulled up a page from a different application? (That happens to me sometimes.) When I hit the Word button again, my page comes back with all the contents.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Maybe opened up a new document with an accidental control-N?

If that's what happened, your original doc would be in a window underneath.

Posts: 15143 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Microsoft has (at a minimum) two ways for ANY function. Try the owners manual (or online version) or like I do, ask Google.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I would try doing a search for *.doc or *.docx files and hopefully you’ll see one with today’s date.

I try to remember to always name my word/excel documents right away when I start with a blank document/sheet.

Good luck.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Check your local user Temp folder for a document with a similar name but with a ~ at the begining. It might be hidden.

Not sure you can restore it straightaway but you might be able to rename it with the right extension and no ~.

Good luck.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12264 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Ok I have no clue WTF I did. The screen just went blank and my document disappeared. All of the header options were grayed out.

There were no recent documents when I checked the document manager. I opened a new word document, and there were no recent documents there either. I closed the new word document and the old one disappeared entirely, there wasn't even a window for it. I went back in the folder where I had the original i had been working on and it was there, saved.

WTF????? I was just typing. I'm happy it's there and saved but what the hell?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Always "Save" any word document (or "Save as" for copies/edit versions) before you type the first character, then hit CTRL+S, every few lines as a habit.

This helps prevent "overwriting" an original version that you may want to keep "as was". It also helps for those times Word or Windows walks out the door without saying "bye".

The autosave is a nice feature, but with 0365, I have seen situations where Office apps "update" while you in the middle of something and screws your pooch while your sitting there having your "man-love" session with Mr. Gates.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44456 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
See if any of these help.

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/...cover-word-document/

I just Googled and picked the first option. You might try some others.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14038 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post