SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any old "HAMs" in the crowd?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any old "HAMs" in the crowd? Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted
I passed my Technician exam in 1960. K0YJP.

Recently relicensed in Texas, KG5BVD.

Any Hams on the forum? Remember any of these?

lid, rig, rocks, gamma match, delta match, rhombic, yagi, IF.

Full gallon, QSL, QRP, CQ, Grab to gab, goony box, Bug key.

BC610, key clicks, SSB, California kilowatts, home-brew, nfm.

RG8U, 15WPM, rat ladder, XCVR, KW1, skip, DXpedition, RFI.

Mobile whip, chicken band, grounded grid, wouff hong, W1AW.

PEP, 4-1000, 6146, 6L6, vacuum variable, Pi net out, push-pull.

Scope, Greeleaf punches, Neutralizing cap, Hartly, Colpitts, Pierce.

Triple conversion, ARRL, Sunspot activity, Perseides, DX, VFO.

And the tough ones; Hyrim Percy Maxim, H.W. Bourell, Paul F. Hampton.

Did I miss any?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I'm a "young" ham - I'm 34. Because of my engineering background and no more code requirement I was able to study for a couple days and pass all three exams in one go. I did it probably five years ago but got super busy with life and have barely done any actual radio stuff with it.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I recognize most of that. I'm an "old" ex-Ham. Got my Tech. Class in 1974 or so. Barely missed getting a "WB8" prefix.
Upgraded to Advanced in... 1977 or 1978, I guess? Back when 13 WPM was a requirement and the tests were still administered by the FCC.

Didn't care for the directions I saw Ham Radio going, so I became inactive about the time I bought our home, in 1992. Which is kind of ironic, being as part of the reason I chose the house and property I did was because it should have made for a great QTH. (High elevation and high water table.) I did buy a 2m/440MHz dual-band vertical to put on the roof. Even slapped it on a piece of mast, bungee-corded it to the deck, and hooked an HT to it, just for grins. Plan had been that on the roof and a tri-band rig on a tower at the back of the house, just outside the corner room of the basement that is now slowly becoming the Man Cave.

Then I lost track and let my license expire Frown

I really should get around to putting my old gear up for sale. It is exceedingly unlikely I'll ever again acquire a license. I simply no longer have enough interest in the hobby to go festooning my vehicles and our home with antenna clutter.

Sometimes I kind of miss it, but then I recall why I walked away and the feeling dissipates.

Btw: You forgot "lids, kids and space cadets" Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Studying for my Extra right now. Plan on taking the exam in February if I get through the study guide.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, but I let my license lapse during a time of family illness. I have no interest in relearning code. Despite what some say, I did forget it. I orig passed the 5wpm requirement for novice. I later upgraded to tech.

I was kinda pissed at myself for missing the renewal, but kinda miffed that it’s not a lifetime thing. Oh well.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
I got my Tech over then years ago when I was a weather spotter for our county. I bought a Yaesu FT-990 from a silent key a number of years ago with every intention of getting on the air when I got my General. I've yet to even take the General exam as life has gotten in the way.

Posts: 322 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
While not nearly as long as many, I've been a ham since 1990, so this will be my 30th year.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
orginal novice ticket issued JAN 1978..UNCLE SAM was the travel agent and was stationed FT.GREELY, ALASKA.... KL7JIU ..after becoming a civilian again let ticket expire.. 1993 re-liscensed as KB5ZWJ and in 1996 used the vanity call system to get my 1st call back even though it was considered outside the UNITED STATES because I had previously been issued the call..... with the KL7 prefix it was a great help in "BUSTING INTO PILEUPS" because people would think I was physically in ALASKA.....in the late 90"s was picked to be the trustee for a local 2mtr FM repeater and travelers passing thru kept asking why a ALASKAN call sign was on a south LOUISIANA repeater.. now the prefix doesn"t mean what it did back in the "OLD DAYS"..... age is 71yrs and somewhat radio active ..aug 2016 had 41 inches of floodwater rushing thru the house destroying ALL of the radios and accessories.. 73s/88s/..... KL7JIU............ drill sgt

Posts: 2013 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Old guy, new Ham. First became interested in radio as a teen in the 80s; radio theory and rules weren't issues but the code requirement scared me away. Finally licensed in 2018, and am 95% less intimidated by the code so I'm now learning it.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did I miss any?

Wayne Green

Grief-kit

Field Day

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May 1963 got my novice after testing with a local Elmer. Six months later got my General after making a personal trip to the local FCC field office. Stayed a General for 20 years until upgrading to Extra.....again at the FCC field office.Right now I have a dual band antenna in the attic (HOA Restrictions) and operate 2M/440. Now that I am the new HOA president, I will be installing a 40 meter dipole or inverted V somewhere in the trees behind me. I currently do not have an HF radio, but I am looking at the Yaesu FT-5000MP Limited since I like big radios. A second consideration is the Yaesu FT-3000. No Ladder Line, Off Center Fed Dipoles or Full Wave loops for me at this time. I may even build my dipole with a set of 20 Meter Traps so my antennas will be resonate, and not require a lossy antenna tuner. Don't need any Stray RF getting back into the Shack or the neighbors TV.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I love baked Ham.

Posts: 5599 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
some years ago at a local "HAMFEST" being held in a local governent owned civic center building.... signs outside advertising "HAMFEST"... saw 2 little "blue haired" ladies enter the arena and were highly disappointed to find out that no one was selling edible "HAMs"... afterwards everybody got a big laugh ..... 73s/88s..de . KL7JIU......
drill sgt.

Posts: 2013 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Ah, the wouff hong! I wish I still had my Benton Harbor Lunchbox. It was considered a boat anchor by the time I got it but there was still something about it.

I remember ordering a Greenlee punch to fit the socket for my 75 watt 1625 transmitter which I put together from plans in the ARRL handbook.

Posts: 7317 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New Ham here...

KO4BAT

Planning to take the General Exam next month.

Currently, only using a hand-held. But researching and learning, to acquire a larger base radio.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Well, you are old....

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
QLF if you had a questionable fist IIRC.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:
May 1963 got my novice after testing with a local Elmer. Six months later got my General after making a personal trip to the local FCC field office. Stayed a General for 20 years until upgrading to Extra.....again at the FCC field office.Right now I have a dual band antenna in the attic (HOA Restrictions) and operate 2M/440. Now that I am the new HOA president, I will be installing a 40 meter dipole or inverted V somewhere in the trees behind me. I currently do not have an HF radio, but I am looking at the Yaesu FT-5000MP Limited since I like big radios. A second consideration is the Yaesu FT-3000. No Ladder Line, Off Center Fed Dipoles or Full Wave loops for me at this time. I may even build my dipole with a set of 20 Meter Traps so my antennas will be resonate, and not require a lossy antenna tuner. Don't need any Stray RF getting back into the Shack or the neighbors TV.

Love my FTDX-3000.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Currently for gear I have the following (I think one qualifies as a boat anchor)

Motorola Micom 3F
EF Johnson 5300
Yaesu FT2000
Yaesu 857D
Icon 2200H
Elecraft K2
Kenwood KR7600

And of course a half dozen power supplies and antenna tuners. I guess this means that I dabble in radio. I am hoping some day to pick up some good tube gear that I can put into service.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I'm considering it again.

A friend agreed to mentor me but he unexpectedly passed before we could start. This was in 2016.

Fast forward to present, the off road Jeep club I joined requires a CB for vehicle to vehicle trail communications. Also some members are either HAM licensed or working towards that.

I'll probably get a hand held to lurk and learn with while studying for my license.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post