SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ants in my trees?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ants in my trees? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I planted some black locusts last year and they have been growing like crazy (almost 4 feet since last spring). Yesterday, though, I went out to water them and noticed these:

They seem to be mostly on the terminal ends of certain branches and I notice some small ants walking around all of those tiny little black specks.

What the heck am I dealing with and how do I kill it?

Posts: 20602 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They look like leaves to me.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, not the greatest pics, but look at the stems. They are covered with little tiny black things. I don't know if they are ant eggs or what.

Posts: 20602 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Spots = Aphids?

Aphids will exude syrup which the ants harvest (in turn protecting the aphids).

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Could be aphids I suppose, although I've never seen black ones. These look to be much too small as well. I've also not had any aphid issues in my garden out here either and it's only about 100 yards away from these trees.

I'm puzzled.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Could be aphids I suppose, although I've never seen black ones. These look to be much too small as well. I've also not had any aphid issues in my garden out here either and it's only about 100 yards away from these trees.

I'm puzzled.

Your Montana county agricultural agent would know. Most states have that FREE service. Looks more like aphids to me. Lots of things do not require treatment. If agent not available local nurseries that sell trees will have the answer.

Posts: 17529 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My guess would be Aphids as well. If you have some Sevan powder on hand, sprinkle on a branch and see if that works. It should.
Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Good idea zs. I just sent the pics to the county extension agent (who didn't know) who is forwarding them to the bug guy with the state. Should know soon.

The more I Google, I'm inclined to think LDD is correct. Though, like I said, I've never seen aphids that color or size before around here.

No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Good idea zs. I just sent the pics to the county extension agent (who didn't know) who is forwarding them to the bug guy with the state. Should know soon.

The more I Google, I'm inclined to think LDD is correct. Though, like I said, I've never seen aphids that color or size before around here.

Where did you get the plants last year? They may have been on the tree when you planted them.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
GA. Doubt they came with them as they were pretty much just bare root sticks when I planted them.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
When in doubt, spray them thoroughly with diluted neem oil and a good natural detergent. I have the formula for the mix I use if you need it.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I spray all of my trees and bushes with seven twice a year. I’m considering a Stihl SR200 backpack fogger to further control mosquitoes and other annoying pests.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It occurred to me that the black dots themselves may not be aphids, but likely are "aphid droppings" (the exuded syrup itself). I think your original instinct about the color of the aphids themselves may be correct.

Still, the large number of ants gathering around fresh leaves for no other apparent reason suggests aphids.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aphids will exude syrup which the ants harvest (in turn protecting the aphids)

I read considerable a few months ago about the black crust on our too-bushy camellia bush.
Long white tubes on bottom of leaf suddenly extensively through out the plant (8' tall now)

Seems like similar related life cycle: something parasitical causes the precious bodily fluids (plant syrup) to exude onto the leaf, which attracts another hungry species. Entire colonies rapidly develop.

I was watering in the yard a couple yeaers ago, returning from a 5 day road trip. Noticed odd trails like little highways in the gravel driveway....cleared of obstructions. Highways filled with high speed smaller brown ants moving at incredible single file focus. Followed the trails converging at the base of our 100' cedar tree.

Discovered unnoticed NEW volleyball sized pile of small cedar pellets dropped out of large natural crevasse in the side, with large inflow of ants.

Amazing how they respond to the proper liquid regimen. Took 4 sequential applications over 2 weeks to confirm no further activity.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I've had infestations of assorted critters on my camellias, azaleas and even trees like magnolias and saucer magnolias.

The saucer was covered in a black sludge like film created by some sweet secreting insect, and the honey bees were harvesting the sweetness. The tree looked stressed.

Solution was to purchase a systemic insecticide. Spread around the root base of the tree according to directions, wait a week and taa daaaa, bugs gone and tree on recovery.

Beats the hell out of trying to spray the underside of the leaves.

Posts: 1571 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post