SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After years of waiting...BITTER DISAPPOINTMENT as Toyota releases its new “Supra”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After years of waiting...BITTER DISAPPOINTMENT as Toyota releases its new “Supra” Login/Join 
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm quite disappointed with the look. Toyota could have used a new name for this, whateverthehell Japanese word is for "no lines all scribble".

If it has the advertised 0-60 in 4.1 and perfect 50/50 weight with rear wheel drive, it's possible it'll have a road feel very different than common Toyota. If it drives like a softee, ummmm that would be extra NOPE sauce.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m saying that about the entirety of the car not some aspect. Total failure. I think they would have to honestly try to have done worse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The retro nameplates e.g. Supra, Bronco—-they’re not for us.
They’re for youngsters who have heard about the old legends and think they can be part of it by buying the thing with the old name that has nothing else in common with the legend.
I expect Acura will someday do the same with The Legend. Sigh.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s a cheap, bean counters attempt to cash in on nostalgia and a nameplate which they have done absolutely zero real effort to improve upon or really honor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted one of the Toy Supra turbo cars back in the day, but it was bigger than I wanted/needed. So, I purchased a 91 Nissan 300ZX twin turbo car. I still own it, and it is my daily driver. I thought about buying one of the newer Nissan 350/370ZX cars, but don't like the body shape.....or their "GO".

I am a bit disappointed in this new Supra!! The body shape does not thrill me.....and for $50K++, it needs to thrill me. Perhaps with time, it will grow on me....we will just have to wait and see.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The Challenger and Camaro have done modern takes on their older brands, and done quiet well in design and execution, and buyers are not all young folks, not many 18 year olds can write an $80 check.

There's too much BMW in it for my tastes, and agree that the Lexus sport coupe was what I thought the basis for a new Supra would be derived from.

If it's a Zmw based car it's going to be too small anyway at least for my butt.

Had an 86 Supra, White with burgundy leather, sunroof, spoilers (Front n back) great car, drove it from KY to CA and back when I moved out there for a few years. Prefer that style to the Fast n Fartious crowds Jelly Bean shaped Supra.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
50% Mazda MX5, 50% BMW Z4. 100% underwhelming.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Its one of those cars that looks like a running shoe.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Never go full Pachinko.

I'm reminded of the Edsel where individual design elements are interesting, put together they're a mess.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
The retro nameplates e.g. Supra, Bronco—-they’re not for us.
They’re for youngsters who have heard about the old legends and think they can be part of it by buying the thing with the old name that has nothing else in common with the legend.
I expect Acura will someday do the same with The Legend. Sigh.

How I feel a 100% with the Willys badging you can get on current Jeep Wrangler products, as an owner of an original 1947 CJ2A they are not even close to the real thing!

Posts: 339 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Looks like Toyota just grabbed spare parts out of BMW’s warehouse. The interior looks very bmw’ish. When I first saw the nav screen it looked like my 4 series screen.

I wish they would’ve concentrated on updating the 86/brz with subaru. I really wanted a brz convertible. I left Subaru to go back to bmw since I wanted a hardtop convertible.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
The very first thing I thought of was that the difference between the old and the new car is just like seeing a photo of Jeff Bezos before MacKenzie and the other photo of Jeff Bezos after dumping MacKenzie.

Posts: 4501 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I will withold judgement until I can see one in person and drive it. I will likely be buying one of the new Z4’s in 2021 when my current Z4 starts getting a little long in the tooth. As far as the looks I like them. In my youth I was a 300ZX guy and always disliked the last generation Supra’s looks. I actually liked the squared off previous generations more. To each their own.

As for the BMW collaboration I’m not mad. BMW makes superb engines and transmissions....Toyota makes grocery getters and cars remiscent of driving your cubicle home from work. Even the Lexus “sports” cars are underwhelming in regards to sports. I recently drove the new LC and I have had more exhilarating drives in 4 cyl GTI’s.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
The Challenger and Camaro have done modern takes on their older brands, and done quiet well in design and execution, and buyers are not all young folks, not many 18 year olds can write an $80 check.

There's too much BMW in it for my tastes, and agree that the Lexus sport coupe was what I thought the basis for a new Supra would be derived from.

If it's a Zmw based car it's going to be too small anyway at least for my butt.

Had an 86 Supra, White with burgundy leather, sunroof, spoilers (Front n back) great car, drove it from KY to CA and back when I moved out there for a few years. Prefer that style to the Fast n Fartious crowds Jelly Bean shaped Supra.

The current Lexus sports coupe was and continues to be a gigantic flop.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
jhe888, being the first to not have a manual or a backseat is a bit offputting to entheusists of the brand. I think they shouldn’t have made it if they were going to halfass it so poorly. Toyota should be ashamed to make such a horrible vehicle and call it a Supra.

It carries on NOTHING in the Supra lineage except maybe being overpriced and overrated in stock form.

You make my point. There would be some such complaint about any reinterpretation they could produce. Someone would always say that about some aspect of the car.

I didn't see this sort of backlash when Nissan reintroduced the Skyline GT-R or when Acura brought back the NSX.

Toyota had an opportunity to make the Supra a flagship sports car for their brand. And they biffed it hard.

Toyota has made some really, really, uninspiring cars as of late. The 4Runner is still rocking a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder and a 5 speed transmission.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Looks like a half-assed Z4 coupe on steroids.

I looked at the pictures - looks like a mash-up of several cars:

Datsun Z series - low, 2 door
Jaguar - LONG hood, rounded roofline
Mazda Miata - although the Miata DID have a trunk
BMZ Z4

Not the kind of car I'm looking at anyway, but the quick glance made me think of all of them.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That thing is butt ugly, if I want a sZ4 I will buy a damn BMW, still miss my 97 Supar TT have to sell it for a bigger car when I son was born. Still make over 5k more than my purchase price after 3 years of having it.
That is the best sport car that Toyota ever build, everything from Toyota to Lexus is freaking boring.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Looks like Toyota just grabbed spare parts out of BMW’s warehouse.
Agreed. Not much, if any original thought behind this.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Understand nostalgia, but as for the auto thing:

Audi R8v10 Plus, 610hp, 200+mph, 0-60 in 2.3s, naturally aspirated v10. Auto - with paddle shifters though.... Just sayin'...

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

The current Lexus sports coupe was and continues to be a gigantic flop.

Perhaps, they are selling about 2000 of the LC500's a year in the USA at $100K each. No idea what Lexus internal projections were for the cars sales as to their perception of it's sales performance..

JMO it's a megashiton better looking than that Toyo BM, BM standing for Bowel Movement they slapped the Supra badge on...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post