SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    gun transportation question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

gun transportation question Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
I know, I know... Google is my friend. I've found conflicting stuff though. I live in SE PA (philadelphia) and my wife and I both have our PA LTCF. she wants to plan a camping trip to WV this summer, but I dont want to do that without being armed. WV has reciprocity with PA, so we are good there, however the only way to get to WV directly from PA, is to pasically go to pittsburg which makes the trip 13 hours of driving.

The faster way is to go through MD, which doesnt recognize PA's LTCF. if my destination ISN'T MD, can I legally transport a handgun through the state? Some people are saying yes but don't stop anywhere, others are saying don't go through the state at all. Then some are saying yes but the gun has to be MD compliant?

Any help, or links would be much appreciated!

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
You can travel through MD. Unload gun, put gun in trunk. Travel on through.

I live in MD and have never had an issue. I've even been stopped with firearms in my car without issue. This was on the way to a match and I was wearing a gun related hat and t-shirt.

Unloaded and in trunk or back of your SUV and your be fine.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 526 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
From handgunlaw.us

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry-1.pdf

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herknav:
www.handgunlaw.us

ah perfect. I guess I missed that the last time I checked that site''

Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate? (From the MD State Police)

A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that if you are legally allowed to possess the firearm both at the origin and the destination of your trip, then you are legally allowed to transport it, with these stipulations:

1. In the trunk, or where it can not be accessed from the driver / passenger seats while in a restricted state. Not sure whether it needs to be in a locked case, but that's probably a good idea even if not required.

2. Don't stop. Plan your fuel / rest / meal requirements such that you can transit the restricted state non-stop. This includes paying attention to traffic laws so that the likelihood of being stopped for that reason is minimized.

Given who you are and what you do for a living, you're not planning on using a high-profile vehicle for this trip, are you?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If you going via I-81, I think you'll be in Maryland for about 13 miles or so.
Just lock it up in the trunk and obey the speed limit.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
It's my understanding that if you are legally allowed to possess the firearm both at the origin and the destination of your trip, then you are legally allowed to transport it, with these stipulations:

1. In the trunk, or where it can not be accessed from the driver / passenger seats while in a restricted state. Not sure whether it needs to be in a locked case, but that's probably a good idea even if not required.

2. Don't stop. Plan your fuel / rest / meal requirements such that you can transit the restricted state non-stop. This includes paying attention to traffic laws so that the likelihood of being stopped for that reason is minimized.

Given who you are and what you do for a living, you're not planning on using a high-profile vehicle for this trip, are you?

nope! Either a stock escalade or a mini cooper.. I have to figure out if we are going to be doing any driving on anything other than normal roads, and if the guys at the shop need the truck.

I am trying to figure out how to get a LTCF in NJ, which is looking to be a losing battle.. you'd think as someone who gets death threats and carries a lot of cash somewhat regularly it would be a non-issue.

├┼┼╕
246R

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Some amplification.

Guns, unloaded, in one locked case.

Ammo in a separate locked case.

You cannot stop while transiting Maryland due to §4–203 of the Criminal Code. It states in part:

quote:
§4–203.
(a)
(1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
(i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;
(ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;

(2) There is a rebuttable presumption that a person who transports a handgun under paragraph (1)(ii) of this subsection transports the handgun knowingly.

(b) This section does not prohibit:

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources–sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector’s gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;

Just comply with the traffic laws and you should be fine, but if you are stopped, tell the officer:

quote:
No hablo inglés y soy un inmigrante indocumentado aprovechando el estatus de Maryland como baluarte del progresismo y santuario para los inmigrantes indocumentados.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
tado aprovechando el estatus de Maryland como baluarte del progresismo y santuario para los inmigrantes indocumentados.

ok, that made me laugh out loud. I'm a vegan, illegal alien cis-sexual, currently identifying as a military age asylum seeking mooselimb. Maybe they'll give me a gold star sticker and thank me for my bravery while we're at it.

├┼┼╕
246R

posted Hide Post
Just being a nibsh*t, but where r u all camping?

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
BTW where are you camping?

I go to WV a few times a year to backpack. Mostly in the Dolly Sods/Roaring Plains area.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
One of the company's that I work for is having a large convention/meeting in Maryland this year. It's an LA based corporation, and my boss is based in Portland (He's from San Diego however, typical CA transplant to OR that Oregonians LOVE). I was asked if I'd be able to attend, my answer was "no". So they offered to pay for the costs (typically a large portion is paid by each attendee). I politely declined. I really didn't bother explaining, it would be lost on my boss. They had another employee from Oregon call me to try and convince me to go. After I explained the gun laws in Maryland to him, now he's not attending either. Big Grin

This lock your stuff up separately in the trunk and don't defend yourself crap is complete and utter nonsense.

OP, I'd carry gas cans and make sure that state doesn't get a single penny of my money. Heck, I'd even drive a few hours out of my way to avoid the state if I could.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13986 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heck, I'd even drive a few hours out of my way to avoid the state if I could.

This is what I do when I drive from Nashville to St Louis. Right before I get out of Kentucky I hang a left and skirt around the edge of the state then head back north

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Just have it locked up going through MD. I've even traveled through with machine guns.

West Virginia just joined the ranks of Constitutional Carry states.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This lock your stuff up separately in the trunk and don't defend yourself crap is complete and utter nonsense.

That's pretty much how I feel about it too.
I go up to Pa. a couple times a year. I'm in Maryland for about 2.1 miles. I'm not stopping along the road and locking everything up in the trunk separately, then driving a couple miles and them pulling off along a interstate highway and get everything back out. I will never stop in that state for anything.
But that's just me.

Posts: 1106 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kr350psd:
quote:

I go up to Pa. a couple times a year. I'm in Maryland for about 2.1 miles. I'm not stopping along the road and locking everything up in the trunk separately, then driving a couple miles and them pulling off along a interstate highway and get everything back out. I will never stop in that state for anything.
But that's just me.

That works fine until the day you get involved in a motor vehicle accident through no fault of your own. At that point, your life just got very, very complicated.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Would you be taking I-81? That interstate's portion of MD is only about 12 miles.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not sure of the route, heidi takes care of logistics, and I just make sure she doesn't get anywhere near driving. I haven't been to MD in a decade, and don't plant to stop this trip. She's saying driving to Pittsburgh to avoid MD would essentially double our 10+ hour drive. And the alternative was backpacking in NY unarmed... id rather the 20 hours of driving to be armed.

The plan is a g19 and three standard mags, and maybe a shield or g26. No HP ammo to keep things less complicated

├┼┼╕
246R

Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kr350psd:
quote:

But that's just me.

We have great gun laws. Machine guns, cans, sbr is good. No limits on anything, no need for a ltcf open anywhere but philly. The big issue is we're surrounded by commie states that don't recognize our carry lisences, much less grant their own.

├┼┼╕
246R