SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Michael Bloomberg preparing to enter the Democratic Primary fray
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Michael Bloomberg preparing to enter the Democratic Primary fray Login/Join 
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
https://hotair.com/archives/ed...rt-24-hours-leaving/
a vehicle for Bloomberg to spend money on advertising to attack President Trump and support the Democratic nominee,

using the group to spend money to support former vice president Joe Biden

He'll have to be very careful not to wind up in jail for violating campaign donation limits, doing that. There is no limit on using your own funds on your own campaign, but if you want to donate to a campaign, there are rules.

When have rules meant anything to Democrats?

Except when they are going after a Republican?

sdy's post above appears to basically be a Super PAC, probably open for contributions from others but largely funded by him, and then he'll be able to run practically nonstop ads. If it was like his primary ad buy, people will be so sick of them they'll be ready to fight back by voting for the President rather than the Democrat nominee.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
When have rules meant anything to Democrats?

Except when they are going after a Republican?
I think you meant to say "ESPECIALLY when they are going after Republicans". Then it's free rein...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24131 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if this was going to happen.

Bloomberg was staffing up so fast, some of the people he hired took his money and campaigned for his competitors.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...ndthescenes-n2563763

Despite the terrible strategy from the beginning, it turns out Bloomberg's campaign staffers lacked enthusiasm and some were even secretly working to get their preferred candidate elected

When Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) pressed Bloomberg on sexual harassment allegations and actively removing the gag on those who were bound by an NDA, the former NYC mayor declined. His staffers cited that specific exchange as the campaign's implosion.

“The people who liked Mike initially didn’t care about the sexual [harassment] allegations or stop and frisk, but they got turned off because they thought he made himself look weak and that he had let Warren walk all over him," the second field organizer explained. “I had to organize [a] debate watch party.… The whole bar was full of Bloombros. You could just feel everyone getting silent and awkward whenever Warren tore into Bloomberg.”

It's looking more and more like Bloomberg's staffers joined the campaign to make a quick buck , not because they believed in his candidacy. And that even includes members of the leadership team.

“Most people knew this was a grift,” a campaign staffer explained.“At our first office meeting, my [director] said, ‘We don’t need to canvass. We can just make calls, right guys?’ And everyone was like, ‘Yeah, that’s sensible.’”

But the real kicker is that these staffers allegedly campaigned on behalf of Bloomberg's opponents.

“I would actively canvass for Bernie when I was supposed to be canvassing for Mike. I know of at least one team of ‘volunteers’ that was entirely fabricated by the organizers who had to hit their goals," a former staffer told The Nation. "It was easy enough to fudge the data to make it look like real people put in real volunteer work, when in reality Mike was getting nothing out of it.”

A former staffer in the San Diego area said the Bloomberg campaign was used to advance other races they were actively working on.

“In San Diego, the regional organizers also exploited the campaign’s resources, staff, and infrastructure for local races they either were running in or consulting on," the person revealed.

In addition to utilizing campaign resources, staffers admitted to faking voter contact data, including the number of calls made and doors knocked.

Posts: 19584 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Money can't buy you love.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sure it can

Posts: 107630 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
Money can't buy you love.

It can rent it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Bloomberg should have spent his money on a Glock G19, Ruger 10/22 and a pound of cheese. It wouldn't have bought him love but it certainly would have bought him happiness.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Bloomberg spent a lot of $

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/...ed-presidential-bid/

Mike Bloomberg pumped nearly $1 billion into his failed presidential bid — almost double what was previously reported, according to a new Federal Election ­Commis­sion filing.

The total cost of the Big Apple billionaire’s short-lived and self-funded 102-day campaign was $935,360,675.56

The news of Bloomberg’s billion-dollar investment — previous estimates put his mammoth ad buys and staffing expenditures at over $500 million — came on the same day he said he would transfer $18 million to the Democratic National Committee to help Democrats win up and down the ballot in November, specifically targeting President Trump.

Bloomberg 2020 will also transfer several former field offices to state parties and help speed the hiring pace for top positions in organizing, data, and operations across battleground states, the campaign said in a statement.

The media mogul would have been unable to give such a large sum of money to the DNC as a regular donor, but presidential candidates are able to transfer unlimited amounts of campaign cash to their national committee.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

seen at

https://theconservativetreehou...-to-win/#more-186965

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

adding

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...-to-the-dnc-n2565399

Mike Bloomberg is sending $18 million from his defunct presidential campaign to the Democratic National Committee, a dramatic investment in the national party that appears to push the boundaries of campaign finance law.

The massive transfer signals a change of plans for Bloomberg, who is nixing an earlier idea to form his own super PAC to take on President Donald Trump in 2020.

A press release accompanying the memo said that staff in six battleground states will be "employed and paid" through the first week in April and have "full benefits" through the end of that month.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
And now with the virus crash happening, the value of his company holdings are worth much less.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Let's see...if his ad buys and staffing costs were estimated at $500 million, and he spent over $935 million, then where did the remaining $435 million go in a mere 102 days? Was he traveling with 200 staffers on those rare occasions he bothered to travel?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim Bridger
posted Hide Post
Mini Mike is Hard Wired to the Chinese Communist Leaders. He refused to call the "Commie King" a dictator. But he promised to crash our 2nd Amendment and confiscate our firearms. I bet 100 years ago he would have faced a firing squad.

Posts: 54 | Registered: March 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bloomberg spent a lot of $

Mike Bloomberg is sending $18 million from his defunct presidential campaign to the Democratic National Committee, a dramatic investment in the national party that appears to push the boundaries of campaign finance law..

For a guy that just pissed away $935 million dollars, I would NOT consider $18 million a "dramatic" investment. More like a drop in the bucket. I think Bloomie doesn't have much faith in the Democrat ticket.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the DNC pressured Mini Mike to withdraw and support Biden. That was an easy way out and a stop to flushing his money down the crapper. However, he seems smart enough to know that Joe is not the Trump beater that the Dems would like people to believe he is.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1688 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/...ed-presidential-bid/

quote:
"The media mogul would have been unable to give such a large sum of money to the DNC as a regular donor, but presidential candidates are able to transfer unlimited amounts of campaign cash to their national committee."

This is a curious statement. One would assume donated campaign funds could certainly be transferred to the DNC, but Bloomberg was self funded.

Sooo, just how much did he 'donate' to his campaign? Is there a loophole in the FEC Regulations / Campaign Finance Laws here? This needs to be looked into!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8914 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Hah! And now the Dems are pissed because he's not setting up the SuperPAC he promised, and because he only donated a "measly" $18 million. Raise your hand if you're surprised. So how's he being punished? By being damned for not keeping his campaign workers on (and presumably "working against Trump" by working for the DNC) through Election Day like he promised.

http://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/...0-dnc-181655684.html

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
"Is there a loophole in the FEC Regulations / Campaign Finance Laws here?"

yes

https://hotair.com/archives/ja...mp-18m-dncs-coffers/

Michael Bloomberg’s ill-fated presidential bid may be “suspended” (which means ended for all intents and purposes), but it’s still active in a way that’s exposing a glaring loophole in our campaign finance rules

Michael Bloomberg announced he will transfer $18 million from his failed presidential campaign to the Democratic National Committee—a move experts say exploits a loophole in campaign finance laws…

Experts are assailing the move, which they say allows Bloomberg to bypass individual donor limits. “Incredible. Candidates may transfer leftover campaign funds to the party, but I don’t believe that loophole has ever been exploited in this way and to this degree,” said Brendan Fischer, program director at the Campaign Legal Center. “It guarantees that Bloomberg will retain enormous influence over the Democratic Party.”

Normally, individual donors are limited to giving $35,500 to either the DNC or the RNC. They can also contribute a bit more than $100K to other projects such as convention costs and legal defense funds. But political campaigns are allowed to “transfer” their extra money to other committees with no limits on the amounts involved.

This usually isn’t a problem because the campaigns generally collect money from individuals who are all capped in how much they can give. In that sense, when a campaign conducts such a transfer, they’re basically just taking those smaller, individual donations, bundling them and shifting them over to the committee.

But the Bloomberg campaign was rather unique in that regard. That was almost entirely Bloomberg’s own money and he’s now giving a huge shot in the arm to the DNC that normally wouldn’t have been possible.

every billionaire in the country could just announce that they are running for some high office, form a campaign, flush massive amounts of money into it and then drop out of the race. Sure, it would be totally obvious what they were doing and the optics would be terrible, but it would still be legal.

the rules clearly need to be changed

Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Is there a loophole in the FEC Regulations / Campaign Finance Laws here?"

I don't think we'll see a bunch of fake campaigns popping up, but if we do, I would expect the FEC to interpret a good faith requirement into the rules. And I guarantee this practice will end the very first time a Republican billionaire tries it.

In any event, I'd prefer a rule that says that leftover funds of failed campaigns go to the US treasury. That would prevent the fake billionaire campaign problem. Also, people who give to candidates don't necessarily support the eventual nominee. It's not really fair to give their money to the party. There is no way to return the funds because they are all commingled. Seems like the best option is to give it to the Treasury to be put in the general fund.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
The bigger question(s) I have are...

(1) How much money was left in Bloomberg's campaign fund when he 'suspended' his campaign?
(2) Did he make a huge 'donation' to himself right before he suspended to exploit the 'loophole'?
(3) Did the action of suspending close the window on additional 'donations' to his campaign?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8914 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The technical answer to (3) is "maybe". Other campaigns (including Hill the Pill's) have continued to take donations after suspension and even ending in order to cover debts that weren't paid during the campaign. Whether there's simply an open door or whether there's some limit related to existing debt, I don't know.