SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is the NRA dead and if so, what’s the point of being a NRA certified instructor?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Is the NRA dead and if so, what’s the point of being a NRA certified instructor? Login/Join 
Member
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I’m NRA Lifer, but requiring NRA membership to join a range? Nope. Screw them.
Agree. Even the NRA range at their HQ in Fairfax, VA doesn't require membership.


_________________________________________________________________________
“A man’s treatment of a dog is no indication of the man’s nature, but his treatment of a cat is. It is the crucial test. None but the humane treat a cat well.”
-- Mark Twain, 1902
 
Posts: 10587 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

the magazine, (I get American Rifleman) is basically a big waste of time
Full of self-promoting ca-ca.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33806 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
The club I belonged to when I lived in Portland required NRA membership, but I was already NRA when I joined the club so it was a no-brainer. When I retired and left Oregon (and the club), and after the Wayne debacle, I dropped my NRA membership and went to SAF instead. I may also join GOA or CCRKBA, but I'm not going to re-join NRA. And yeah, IMO the magazine ceased being either informative or entertaining, years ago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Expert308,
 
Posts: 8096 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
As others have pointed out, many states (even the deep-blue ones) utilize the NRA's resources for course curriculum, blocks of instruction and how-to materials. Basically, NRA provides a 'soup-to-nuts' resource that can be turn-key for state admins when they're limited in resources or implementation for non-LEO firearm related issues. NRA issuing a certification of completion or approval, for a specific curriculum allows the state an easy administrative pathway but not having to expend much resources; many state mandated concealed carry academic courses are NRA resources. This is common in many other industries, where outside interest groups have sway/influence/involvement with state policies...medical, education, industry, etc.
 
Posts: 16233 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I would disagree that the NRA is anywhere near "dead." Yes, the LaPierre scandal made many of our long-standing members disgusted, but the organization still has great credibility with the average uninformed citizen who may not be as engaged in 2A issues as we are. I see this when I volunteer at the NRA table at gun shows. We are often set up right beside the VCDL table. Almost every attendee knows who the NRA is and what they stand for, I cannot say the same about VCDL.

For perspective, I volunteered at the VCDL table for over 20 years, and the initial approach to an interested party could not have been more different.

I would ask politicians which 2A rights organization give them the most concern. The NRA probably has a greater power to direct votes than any other national organization.

Good points, architect.
The NRA is certainly NOT dead...
But weakened by graft and corruption.
Still, I'm a member and I hope it fully recovers.



"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor
 
Posts: 27378 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
My range requires an NRA membership to join and renew your membership!


Same here. Complete bullshit.


------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris
 
Posts: 16229 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I think they're a legacy organization at this point. Yes, firearm safety education. Yes, certification. I can't really speak to that, I just know they do that.

I also know they haven't done dick to either preserve or restore our 2A rights for a long, long time now. That mantle has passed to the others who sprang up after it became clear that they were a corrupt monolith that didn't deserve the "800 ton gorilla fighting for our rights" reputation they try to project.

The NRA may not be dead, more akin to grandpa on life support in a room full of descendants who appreciate and honor what he actually accomplished in his prime, but realize he's taking up resources that won't produce anything, and they will have to get up and go to work in the morning.


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19281 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I let my NRA membership go the way of the dodo bird.
If the NRA wants me back, they can start by trimming their board down DRASTICALLY.
When they get to two per time zone, I’ll think about it. Their training/certification is a benefit to others, not me.

I belong to SAF, GOA, CCRKBA. They actually do tangible things for our 2A rights.


--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.
 
Posts: 4550 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is the NRA dead and if so, what’s the point of being a NRA certified instructor?

© SIGforum 2026