SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who's purchased Ford's Extended Warranty (ESP)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's purchased Ford's Extended Warranty (ESP) Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
My car is coming up on one year old and there's a discount for buying in first year. Got a quote for the Premium plan at $1,545 for total of 7yr/100k warranty, really 6yr/97,200 since I've had it for a year and 2,800 miles, my local dealer wanted like $2,400 for the same warranty, that's a lot but under $1,600 seems reasonable. I also have option for 7/75,000 for about $100 less. Warranty is transferable for $75 and has $100 deductible.

The car has every bell and whistle Ford offers, Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot, Premium stereo, self parking, etc. I worry about all the gadgets built into the car and that it's a twin turbo. All of those things are $$$ to replace.

Thoughts?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
You have until your bumper to bumper runs out to buy before an inspection is required to purchase the warranty, after it runs out. If you buy it now, you are paying for double coverage

The warranty would start at current mileage and date you purchase

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I was hoping you'd reply. It it Ford you work for? My understanding is the price goes up the older/more miles and all the Ford backed warranties are from date first put into service. I'm only extending the coverage past 3/36,000.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If you have a credit union that you trust and know they only provide 3rd party products that they vet and will back you up if the 3rd party tries to go sideways check with them and compare the warranties if they offer an extended warranty. My CU has one that you can cater to your mileage and what you want covered.

My mother has Ford’s on her Explorer and it has paid out more than she put in. Thanks to the coffee that she decided to sit on the dash. That spilled and fried the entire sync system and it all had to be replaced.
All she paid was a $250 (I think) deductible. I believe it would have been close to 5k if she would have had to replace the system out of pocket.
It also covered some door handles breaking, electronic folding seats not working.
Yet they won’t cover the paint bubbling on the aluminum hood.

We have only bought 1 Ford vehicle new and we sold the vehicle before we ever used it and before the mileage or years expired and they refunded our money.
Never had to use it so I could not tell you if it was worth it.
Initial cost was like $2800 it magically came down to $1500 after we declined it.
This was on an Escape that had like twenty some computer control modules.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Chevy. Cheaper because it's already covered

I will say that that price is pretty good though for that 7yr 1OOk Premium. Would tempt me, you could spend that on an A/C repair or radio/nav repair easy

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not believe in extended warranties in general. BUT!!!! I have a 2015 F150 Platinum with every possible option (Sticker of $62K even way back then). Near the end of my std warranty, I got a quote on the Ford ESP from a dealer that specializes in selling them online and decided to go for the 100,000 mile option because like you say there is so much that can go wrong on this truck and all of it is very expensive. After I bought the ESP online, I checked with my local dealer's service dept and they showed a record of it in the system and said I was good to go. I had the truck in awhile back for some problem (don't recall right now) and it was either covered under the powertrain warranty or the ESP warranty, but I remember them saying it would definitely be covered since I had the ESP warranty. ESP has given me peace of mind. I have 85K miles on the truck, will run it on up to 100K miles and probably get new truck.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I was hoping you'd reply. It it Ford you work for? My understanding is the price goes up the older/more miles and all the Ford backed warranties are from date first put into service. I'm only extending the coverage past 3/36,000.

You are correct the Ford ESP starts at original purchase date and milage regardless of when you purchase it. I was told that if you wait until the car is over 1 year old the price of the policy does go up by $100. This is probably just to reflect the opportunity cost of the money paid.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought the ESP warranty several times. Ford has never paid a penny. Because nothing has ever broken.

I do like the peace of mind, especially with all the electronic gadgets. and it's pretty cheap.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I bought a warranty from my local dealer based on the internet price shown by floodford.com. It was about half price. With all the electrical doodads on the truck, one repair pays for it.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I bought a warranty from my local dealer based on the internet price shown by floodford.com. It was about half price. With all the electrical doodads on the truck, one repair pays for it.

I bought mine from Flood Ford. I considered asking my local dealer to price match, but I decided that if it wasn't for Flood Ford taking the initiative and offering the lower price and advertising it online, we would all be paying the higher exhorbitant prices, so I figured I would reward Flood for the service. I confirmed that it makes absolutely no difference which dealer sells the ESP, it goes into the Ford national database system and is honored at all Ford dealers.

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
You can wait as long as your factory warranty is still in effect. There are online dealers that offer some good deals. My local dealer came within $100 and I bought from him. I recommend the Ford factory warranty programs.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flood ford is a good one to buy from for sure. There is another dealership that is based out of Louisiana I believe that has great prices as well. I cannot remember the name though, but they were really popular on f150forums.com back when I had my 2011 F-150. Can try asking there as well.

Posts: 685 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Ziegler is the dealership I got the quote from, smoked my hometown place.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
It likely was Ziegler then if the pricing was half of your local dealership. I missed that in your OP.

Posts: 685 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
I’ve purchased ESP on 2 of the 3 Ford/Lincoln vehicles I’ve owned in the last 7 years. I processed a couple ESP claims on 1. Below are my thoughts for consideration-

As others have stated, it is generally cheaper to buy from a dealership that sells ESP plans online.

I put ESP on my 2009 Lincoln when it reached the end of it’s 3 year warranty. I bought ESP to 7yr/100K through a Ford dealership out of state that sold the plans online. They were about $1500 cheaper than my local dealer’s quote. I still had the ESP quotes I declined from when I purchased the car, I did not see any material cost difference between buying it at the time of car purchase vs several years later.

I had a couple ESP claims with work performed by Ford dealerships, it was a piece of cake, absolutely no hassle.

I choose the ESP route as the MRCs I looked that offered by insurance or Credit Unions had a lot of process requirements, rules, and reimbursement clauses that looked like they could be a PITA. The bottom line was I personally did not like the fine print when I read them.

I have a 2019 Ranger that I bought new and declined ESP on, but I plan to purchase in the same way that I did the Lincoln when the warranty is about to run out.

I have a 2019 Mustang Bullitt that I purchased from a different dealer than the ranger, and I did purchase ESP 7yr/70k miles on the Mustang at the time of purchase. I paid about $500 more than I saw plans going for online, but I did it for a reason. This dealer offered something they called “signature plus” which gave me a letter in writing that entitled me to a cash refund of the full cost of the ESP if no claims were ever filed. I liked this for the mustang because we plan on keeping it stock, it won’t be driven that much, and save the e-brake and transmission every damn thing is electronic. I hadn’t heard of the “signature plus” option before and it does make the plan more flexible\interesting. I have no idea if this is a Ford thing or something the dealer is doing on their own.

Keep in mind if the car is wrecked and totaled you basically lost out on the cost of the warranty. A dude (drunk, no insurance) clipped my wife’s front bumper in her Q7 while she was at stopped at at stop sign, 6 months after we bought it. Since Audi frames fall apart if breathed on, insurance totaled it. Luckily since we bought it used the depreciation hit wasn’t terrible, but the cost of the extended warranty was lost. We also had to purchase a replacement at time when there weren’t a lot deals to be had so that just all around sucked.

I guess the math on a selling it or trading it in while the warranty is still active is variable, but my guess is you’d be on the losing end of the equation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
The ESP plan I looked at is refundable, prorated and less the greater of $75 or 7%.

I do feel like as a purchaser it would add a great value if I was buying a four year old, normally out of warranty car that still had three years of warranty on it and would pay a premium for it. Especially considering this is a Sport model, which may have been pushed hard by previous owner. As a buyer I'd put that premium for piece of mind at at least $500-1,000. In my mind I think if unused I will either get value at resale or from my piece of mine during ownership. I plan on keeping it seven years just like my last car, if I don't, I still see value here.

It's all a gamble, my last car had one out of warranty repair that cost $250 out of pocket the entire time I owned it (7 years) and was a tank. That car was a base model minus sound system and sunroof, this thing is opposite end of the spectrum.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I have a contact for you. He only charges a very very small markup over cost.

His name is Austin Berry. He works at BattleField Ford in Virginia. aberry@battlefieldauto.com

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I have a contact for you. He only charges a very very small markup over cost.

His name is Austin Berry. He works at BattleField Ford in Virginia. aberry@battlefieldauto.com

That's where I bought my car from.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I purchased from Flood Ford Last month before my original warranty timed out.

Looked at Ziegler as well, but Flood beat them by $100 or so

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I typically do not purchase an extended warranty on any products, but on my F150 I did get the Ford ESP. It was $1368 for the 7/70 ($100 deductible). In year 4 (past bumper to bumper) I had multiple non-powertrain problems, sliding rear window defroster stopped working, both sun visor mirror lights would stay on due to the closing flap dropping a little and not making the switches, usb sync error (stopped playing music from a thumb drive). One service ticket all parts replaced and the total cost was $1600 - paid my $100 deductible. So I am a 100 bucks better than breaking even. In this case these particular parts could nave been purchased cheaper and replaced myself for less than the 1368+100, but I didn't have to mess with them.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post