SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Victor Davis Hanson: "The Dying Citizen"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Victor Davis Hanson: "The Dying Citizen" Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
A new book by Victor Davis Hanson

Haven't read it yet. Just ordered it.

Reviews are that it is long and may be a chore to read because of so much detail.

But some key points:

Our way of life in the United States is under serious challenge

Examples of two big problems:

1) There has been a decline in the general population's sense of civic responsibility.

With rights come responsibilities. But a declining middle class doesn't recognize or accept those responsibilities the way they used to.
Being active and aware of politics are examples.

2)An unaccountable elite class has developed that has disdain for ordinary citizens. These are super rich people and powerful deep state people.

Hanson uses Mark Zuckerberg as an example where Zuckerberg funded $400 million in the 2020 election to help Democrats elect Biden.
Hanson also uses Comey and McCabe as examples of deep state actors who lie and act against the interest of ordinary people. These elites feel they are superior to the middle class and have the power to manipulate and mislead them.

Hanson discusses that college students today have no deep knowledge of American history and our evolution. All they know is the latest list of bad things being pushed by the radical left.

The result is a feeling that the traditional U.S. is obsolete. Citizenship has little meaning.

I am being overly simplistic in this summary, and have expressed my own thoughts from what I have read so far about the book.

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Have it on my Nook and looking forward to reading it, as I have all of VDH's books.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
1) There has been a decline in the general population's sense of civic responsibility.
But a declining middle class doesn't recognize or accept those responsibilities ...

2)An unaccountable elite class has developed that has disdain for ordinary citizens. These are super rich people and powerful deep state people.

Victor Davis Hanson is a very smart, good man. And he's a good author. I may read it.

But... the people who will read the book already know these things.
It's kind of like documenting the Fall of Rome. It didn't happen all at once and I'm sure it was frustrating for those who witnessed it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post