SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Primer prices
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer prices Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know if primer companies are still having issues with raw materials? Perhaps they are having other issues, I don’t know. It seems to me that it’s been long enough to get caught up from all the problems and 1k primers are still $100-150. My patience is about depleted. Can anyone fill me in why we are still dealing with this? (I can’t believe I just typed this without 10 or so expletives).

Posts: 958 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Inflation is a deadly disease that affects everyone and everything.
Some settling can occur when the market starts to level off but generally you can put the genie back in the bottle.
It takes a lot of unsold supply to start bringing it down but that is not very good for the economy overall.
You just have to be patient and constantly keeping an eye out for deals.
Not pretty but the way it is. Frown

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some imported primers (mostly small pistol) are/were available online in the $70-$80/1,000.
The HAZMAT fee is what can drive the price up.

PC

Posts: 1340 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve waited this long. Guess I’ll just keep waiting.

Posts: 958 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I about choked when I saw primer prices this summer. I swear I was buying them for $25/1,000 maybe 5 years ago. I think $100 would get me 5 boxes of 1,000 back then as well.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO - If ammo companies can sell 1000 rd cases of loaded ammo to dealers or distributors for prices where those dealers and distributors are selling those 1000 rd cases of ammo for $230 to $275 shipped, this tells me that these companies could reduce their primer prices back to a $45 to $60 per 1000 units range, but why would they when the demand continues to reflect that people are still “buying and stocking up” for prices ranging from $80 to $120 per 1000 units before shipping.

What I also find interesting is how the highest demand has shifted now to Large Rifle Primers resulting in folks paying $130 to $150 per 1000 primers for this size where as the Small pistol and Small rifle primers are becoming easier and easier to find now, but you will still have to sell a kidney to purchase a 5000 rd case once you pay for the shipping….

I am still loading and shooting primers I purchased three plus years ago for $25.00 per 1000 and several times companies ran these with reduced shipping and/or no Haz-Mat fees allowing these to arrive for less than $30.00 per thousand…..but I doubt we will ever see these prices again as long as folks keep “stocking up” at the current rates……

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I about choked when I saw primer prices this summer. I swear I was buying them for $25/1,000 maybe 5 years ago. I think $100 would get me 5 boxes of 1,000 back then as well.

And that is when a LOT of folks laid out the $$$ and stocked up!!

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I thought I did that, but hindsight says I wish I had done more. When we were up in Michigan, my son and his friend asked if reloading ammo was cheaper than buying new ammo. Naturally, I said yes. Then I saw the primer and bullet prices and math doesn’t seem to add up.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
My opinion is that the ammo companies are perfectly content with making huge profits selling loaded ammunition. They have zero interest in allowing people to roll their own for less than retail. Unless people stop buying retail altogether (not going to happen any time soon) there’s no incentive to sell us components to save money.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

I may have missed the low point in prices, but my old records indicate many loads that I included 4 cents per round for the primer. Not bad.

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Primer pricing is coming down from their highs.

Just bought a brick of Remington LPP for $57 from Sportsmans Warehouse here. Typically they were allowing a 2 sleeve max but last week I got the whole brick.

A couple years back the primers used to be $30 per brick.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5754 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post