SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    High School Math Help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High School Math Help Login/Join 
Banned
posted
3^2 = 1^2 + 2^2 - 2(1)(2)CosB

I guess we're solving for angle B. I think we can easily reduce to -1 = CosB. So how do you solve for B? Calculator? How?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B is pi radians or 180 degrees

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Thanks Crom.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried to look at it graphically? Represent cos(x) as a graph?
You can see that Cos(x)= -1 at -Pi or -180 degrees.

-k

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My lovely wife says you can use the unit circle to find the answer or you can find the inverse cosine of -1 using your calculator.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I broke a sweat just reading the question.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5354 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cos^-1 is a function on most scientific calculators, defiantly on graphing calculators.

realcalc for android is what I use anymore -no idea where my Ti89 got off to.
shft+cos is the cos^-1 button on it.

Posts: 3298 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't even know what button to press om my watch calculator for this.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post