SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A day in the life of a Public Defender
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A day in the life of a Public Defender Login/Join 
posted
This is from a real case and from a real transcript. The funny part is, when I was doing this work, there are parts that are verbatim from hearing I have had. And that is exactly what a seasoned PD does during a hearing in which the defendant is attempting to "fire" his PD. I also had a hearing were the defendant kept telling the judge to fuck off and the judge just kept adding contempt time. This video is like a time machine for me.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
A couple of law school friends of mine were PDs for a while. The stories they tell me are almost too funny to be believed. I don't think I would have the patience for that job.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That MF asked me to eat his ass for a bag of coffee

LOL. I am so glad don't deal with drunks

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Eipc!

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I believe it was Mark Twain who said, "Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense." Smile

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
How many hands do you need? Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed that more than I expected to. Which is to say, a lot. Now I'm wondering if I can use this clip in one of my classes as we discuss courtroom decorum.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
This made my day, thanks.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Better than the one that got cold-cocked yesterday. https://nypost.com/2019/03/27/...uring-court-hearing/

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
How often do judges tell defendants they look like queers and tell them to jack off in the court room?

Seems like they should get in some kind of trouble for that.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
How often do judges tell defendants they look like queers and tell them to jack off in the court room?

Seems like they should get in some kind of trouble for that.

Did some background.

Judge got some 'counseling' and transferred the case to another judge.

Defendant subsequently got life in prison (killed his cell mate).

----------------------------------

JQC admonishes Judge Durham for 'highly inappropriate' exchange

JBailey@RN-T.com Aug 2, 2016

A Floyd County judge has agreed to undergo counseling and has been reprimanded by the state’s judicial monitoring agency after an expletive-laden exchange with a murder defendant in June.

Superior Court Judge Bryant Durham said Monday he had been in touch with the Judicial Qualification Commission since the incident and they “reached an amicable resolution.”

The letter from the JQC reprimands Durham for his “highly inappropriate” banter with 31-year-old Denver Allen during a June 17 hearing.

A transcript of the exchange was quickly circulated around the internet and posted on various media websites.

Allen, accused of beating fellow Floyd County Jail inmate Stephen Rudolph Nalley to death on Aug. 26, 2015, was before the judge requesting a new public defender for his upcoming murder trial.

During the hearing Allen claimed his attorney had propositioned him sexually for legal services.

His argument devolved into cursing and yelling between Durham and Allen, including descriptions of genitalia as well as sexual acts.

The confrontation escalated and at one point Allen threatened to kill members of Durham’s family.

“Rather than de-escalating the situation, you engaged Mr. Allen and made a number of remarks which you, by your own admission, know were highly inappropriate,” the letter states.

After the exchange, which contained a number of sexual references and obscenities, Durham reported his behavior to the JQC and transferred Allen’s case to Chief Judge Walter Matthews.

Allen has since had another hearing in court and Matthews ordered another psychological evaluation.

Because of Durham’s willingness to take responsibility for his actions, the letter states, the JQC “is satisfied to conclude this matter.”

The full text of the letter will be published as a legal notice in the classifieds section of the Rome News-Tribune on Thursday.

==========================================================================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Here's the actual inmate from that exchange:

https://nypost.com/2017/12/12/...ent-viral-gets-life/

----------------
Man who gained fame for crude ‘Rick and Morty’ courtroom exchange gets life

A Georgia man — whose extraordinarily vulgar courtroom exchange with a judge was immortalized by the hit TV show “Rick and Morty” — has pleaded guilty but mentally ill to killing his cellmate.

Denver Fenton Allen, 33, pleaded guilty Monday after Judge Billy Sparks denied Allen’s motion that he killed Stephen Rudolph Nalley in self-defense after just five days in the Floyd County Jail, the Rome News-Tribune reports.

Allen — who suffers from delusions and schizophrenia, according to a state evaluation that still found him fit for trial — was sentenced to life in prison Monday, prompting him to threaten to kill people in the courtroom, including the assistant district attorney.

In June 2016, Allen made national headlines for an obscene, 11-minute exchange with Superior Court Judge Bryant Durham in which Allen threatened to kill the judge’s family and made repeated graphic sexual threats.

Allen claimed his court-appointed attorney had made unwanted sexual advances toward him and was inadequately prepared. Durham said he doubted those claims and recommended that Allen go to trial with the attorney rather than represent himself, prompting Allen’s incredibly crude tirade.

The exchange captured in the court transcript descended from there, with Durham finding Allen in contempt of court.

“You know something, this is going to be an interesting trial,” Durham said. “You know something? You’re absolutely the rudest person I think I’ve ever met!”

Durham later recused himself from the case and issued a public apology for his role in the exchange, the Rome-News-Tribune reports.

Assistant District Attorney Luke Martin said Allen targeted his smaller cellmate in an attempt to boost his reputation at the jail.

“He didn’t punch the biggest guy in the room, he waited until Stephen Nalley went to sleep,” Martin said. “And then he bashed Stephen Nalley’s head in … then he went around the jail and bragged about killing his cellmate.”

“He’s a dangerous person,” Martin said Monday. “He needs to be in prison until he dies.”

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post