SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for an horizontal gun safe.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for an horizontal gun safe. Login/Join 
posted
Title pretty much says it all.
I'm not looking for anything crazy, just something reliable and where I can quickly access a few guns when there's a "Bump in the night". Horizontal because that's what I need for the space that it's going into.

Looking for something that will fit an AR and a few handguns, and some smaller items- A few watches, some cash.

I know a "Simplex" style button system is a better option than the others.
I'm NOT looking fop the bio-metric type- too many problems.

Hopefully a1abdj will step in and give his suggestions. What are you using? Any good/bad/indifferent experiences are always welcome.

Roughly something like this:
The 91890 model
https://www.amazon.com/Hornady...mFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Moutec-...b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8369 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at Monster Vault? This one is too far away but seems bigger and will hold more than either of the ones you linked.

Monster Vault

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3468 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
You want a drawer or slide access type, right? Not a top access type like VLine makes?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12762 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have the Hornady horizontal safe and it easily holds two proper length long guns. I removed the spacers and have one in a soft case to avoid marring when they’re piled together. There is still plenty of room for something like a handgun and other small items.

It can be opened with the supplied RFID fob, by pressing the programmed combination, or the supplied key. It can be powered with four AA batteries or the power supply.

The problem I’ve had with it since I received it several years ago is that when I don’t open it for an extended period, the electronics shut down. I have to open it with the key, unplug the power supply, and plug it back in. It then can again be opened with the fob. That was probably something I could have addressed as a warranty issue, but I never got around to pursuing it.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47421 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
You want a drawer or slide access type, right? Not a top access type like VLine makes?

Yes, I need a side access, door or drawer.

Can't do the top access.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8369 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I have the Hornady horizontal safe and it easily holds two proper length long guns.

I have the Hornady alarm clock safe for the wife. She really likes it! Same features with the fob/wristband. It's got a USB port or two to charge the phone.
Only thing that would make it better would be a radio, outside of that, the lil bugger is excellent!
That being said, I'm really looking at the Hornaday, but looking at what the collective minds have to say.