SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roof vent pipe rubber seal repair advice needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roof vent pipe rubber seal repair advice needed Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I have one of my plumbing roof vents leaking. It's a 3 or 4" pipe - maybe 3" ID?

The rubber seal on the roof flange appears to be leaking a very small amount when it rains as best I can tell.

I was looking into how to repair this and it appears there are a number of ways people are doing it.

For anyone that has done this, what worked long term?

I see a 2 piece thing called a Perma-Boot, some just use a new rubber piece with tons of roof caulking, others have a hose clamp on a rubber seal, etc.

I just want it done in a way that won't be a problem for another 20 years. I will have a look at the others while I'm on the roof. This one was 22 years old on the side that always gets the most sun. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 17897 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've had a roofer do this by replacing the boot. They seem to have a way to replace it and not have it leak again and it wasn't terribly expensive.

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
there are some products like Perma boot out there for this purpose.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pe...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The perms boot is an easy answer. Wish I’d have seen those before I replaced three of the black plastic boots at my kids house, just wait till the shingles are warm so you don’t break any. Prayed the old nails out, slid it off, put the new one on and nailed it in.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11294 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The neoprene gasket on your pipe flashing will shrink after 30-40 years. Black Jack caulk or roof muck and tape should work. Then swap them all out the next time your having a roof replaced.

You can always slam another roof collar over the existing one, maybe one or two roofing nails through the high side with a little muck under that side, muck and tape the edges, and be done with it.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Guilty, I apologize now.

Back when part of my job was plumbing the houses my Dads construction company built we switched from lead collar flanges to the rubber ones after a push by an Oatey salesman. They seemed great and easy to use and cheaper... for a couple years... until they started splitting. We found that going up a size bigger than recommended pretty much fixed the problem. For example using a 2.5 inch flange on a 2 inch pipe... still fit tight enough to seal but didn't have near the stress on the rubber so it didn't fail. But we eventually just went back to lead.

We removed and replaced several of the failed flanges... on our dime.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
The perms boot is an easy answer.

Just bought three of them. Thanks for the recommendation.

Posts: 924 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Ironically, I just began experiencing this very thing this summer. The caulk used to seal around the boots by the guy that replaced my roof about 6 years ago had shrunk, and was rectified by a tube of black roofing adhesive. I can’t recall exactly which one, but they are pretty much the same. Don’t be sparing when you apply it; put a goodly bead down and wear disposable surgical gloves so you can smear it into cracks, nooks, and crannies.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15607 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I went with the perma boot. Was a simple install and I added sealant at the middle connection. I didn’t do any others. The pucker factor was already high. The pitch and loose gravel didn’t leave me feeling all that confident.

Posts: 17897 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Good call to just use the slip on one. No need to rip and tear up because eventually that is going to have to be done with a new roof... and since is sounds like your's is starting to go....

now one item I would have done if it was one of the ones that slips down over the vent pipe tight...is figure out where the tight slope ends and mark it and then put a line of caulk just above it before installing then piece ... then when you do put the item on you actually end up with a seal under the tight part.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post