SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US buildup near Korean Peninsula aimed at 'incapacitating' Kim
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US buildup near Korean Peninsula aimed at 'incapacitating' Kim Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
I really wonder how a fight would turn out there. We're fed a narrative that this huge NKA will fight rabidly to the death. I suspect they'll wither instead of fight. But I don't think we'll ever know because I don't think it'll come to fighting. The Kim regime is expert at surviving, if nothing else.

Rember these guys? The Iraqi Republican Guard and Saddam Husseign talked a pretty big game too. Didn't work out so well for them.

A coworker and I were speculating on this very topic this morning. You sure would like to think that an awful lot of them would cease fighting and get out of there if they thought they had a chance. Of course, if any of them did surrender and defect it would most likely spell doom for any family that they leave behind. You cannot tell me that 98% of that population isn't desperately miserable.

The NorK's have indoctrinated their population for so many generations that they have no idea what miserable is. There's high likelyhood that there's very, very few members of the common population who can tell their kids/grandkids what life was like before the Korean War. Except for the Kim family and the ruling elite, life hasn't changed for anyone north of the 38th parallel. Saddam's Iraq still allowed international travel to citizens, had modern infrastructure and amenities. NK is completely isolated from the rest of the world and has kept it's citizens in actual serfdom, to them, we're the embodiment of evil and all the ills of their life is a result of the USA. If we actually invaded, we'd witness no-shit psychological meltdowns by large sections of the population, people would either curl-up in a ball and weep or, they'd go all martyrdom.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought the deployment of 3 Carrier Groups meant something was about to go down so 1 Carrier Group wasn't a big concern.

Now it appears 2 more Carrier Groups are moving towards North Korea.

quote:
US Deploys Two More Aircraft Carriers Toward Korean Peninsula: Yonhap

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...ean-peninsula-yonhap

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
So much for the quiet positioning of your assets.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Do we really want it to be quiet? It sounds like Xi's been having a few heart-to-hearts with Li'l Kim lately.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
You cannot quietly move a carrier group.

Screaming softly is about as delicate as it gets.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder what's driving the urgency? Why now?

The US has been dealing with the North's irrationalities since the 1990's. Fast forward to the recent present and President Obama tried to manage through diplomacy. Fast forward to President Trump and he was being ill-advised by Steve Bannon, self-appointed National Security Advisor with idiotic nationalistic and isolationist views--combined with absolutely no military training or experience, no policy experience, no leadership training or experiences, no diplomacy experience, no worldly experiences, training or education or anything relevant to the job, combined with preventing the trained staff who should have been in the job since the first days of the Trump presidency, sent us on a course to do even less than strategic patience. Remove said ass-hat with a certified card carrying bad ass in new National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster, who knows a thing or two about world affairs, a person who recognizes the situation in not only N Korea, but AFG, Syria, and drawing a hard line against Russia. He's advising the President to take action, military action if necessary to stop a growing threat. That's why now.
SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1645 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Fox News: "Entire Senate being called to White House for North Korea briefing"

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...-korea-briefing.html

Could this be a prelude to Trump asking for Congressional approval for broad military action?

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Does the Senate even know how to get to the white house? Been what, 8 years?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is called "Fuckin' with the isolated despot's head"

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

< snip >

Could this be a prelude to Trump asking for Congressional approval for broad military action?

My Googlefu cannot find a precedent for doing this.

Any one know if this has this happened before?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's time we decapicitated that plump lunatic.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29704 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...-korea-briefing.html

I wonder if the Cherokee woman will attend?

Posts: 12686 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sea Bass:
quote:
I wonder what's driving the urgency? Why now?

...Steve Bannon, self-appointed National Security Advisor with idiotic nationalistic and isolationist views--combined with absolutely no military training or experience, no policy experience, no leadership training or experiences, no diplomacy experience, no worldly experiences, training or education or anything relevant to the job,...

Are you talking about Lt. Steve Bannon, US Navy?
Surface Warfare Officer served on destroyer USS Paul F. Foster in the Pacific Fleet?
Special Assistant to the Chief of Naval Operations at the Pentagon?
Master's Degree in National Security Studies from Georgetown University?

Or are there two Steve Bannons associated with the Trump campaign/administration and you're actually talking about Bannon number two whose life and military experiences actually resemble - evenly remotely - your description?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Maybe lil kim has an ICARUS operational

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMxVBY70dPU

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surface Warfare Officer served on destroyer USS Paul F. Foster in the Pacific Fleet?

Or are there two Steve Bannons associated with the Trump campaign/administration and you're actually talking about Bannon number two whose life and military experiences actually resemble - evenly remotely - your description?

I'm constantly amazed at the people who form opinions based on no actual facts whatsoever. Especially in today's world where a 5 second Google search will give you a great start.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

I'm constantly amazed at the people who form opinions based on no actual facts whatsoever. Especially in today's world where a 5 second Google search will give you a great start.

I believe you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
China Warned North Korea Not To Test Another Nuke.

North Korea has yet to conduct a sixth nuclear test, and the reason may be China.

Beijing warned Pyongyang against carrying out another test, informing the reclusive regime that the Chinese would pursue “sanctions actions on their own” if North Korea failed to heed its warning, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson revealed to Fox News Thursday.

Tillerson’s remark indicates that President Donald Trump’s efforts to rein in North Korea by way of the country’s friendly neighbor China may be yielding fruit.

The new administration has said that if China fails to stop North Korea, the U.S. will be forced to take unilateral action. This could involve aggressive secondary sanctions against Chinese entities collaborating with the regime or the application of military force against North Korea’s nuclear and weapons facilities.

Chinese media has presented several warnings to Pyongyang in recent weeks, urging it to turn back.

“If North Korea carries out a sixth nuclear test as expected, it is more likely than ever that the situation will cross the point of no return,” the Global Times, a newspaper managed by the state-run People’s Daily, wrote Tuesday.

“All stakeholders will bear the consequences, with Pyongyang sure to suffer the greatest losses,” the outlet explained.

The Times does not speak for the state, but it does occasionally reflect certain government opinions.

“If Pyongyang conducts its sixth nuclear test in the near future, the possibility of US military action against it will be higher than ever,” the Global Times wrote on April 12. “Not only Washington brimming with confidence and arrogance following the missile attacks on Syria, but Trump is also willing to be regarded as a man who honors his promises.”

At this point in time, it is unclear whether North Korea’s decision not to test a nuclear device was a result of Chinese pressure, but it does appear that Beijing is taking a tougher stance on Pyongyang and its destabilizing actions.

China has also been turning away North Korean coal shipments, a major source of income for the regime.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/04...o-test-another-nuke/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
China Warned North Korea Not To Test Another Nuke.

Good to see China finally getting involved.

Avoiding a shooting war there would be a good thing.

Posts: 20109 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Hey, maybe we did them a favor. Would you want to live right next door to a Li'l Kim with nuclear weapons? China, Russia and South Korea are the only countries within range of the only reliable nuclear delivery systems Li'l Kim has.

You know, a really big freakin' truck.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Hey, maybe we did them a favor. Would you want to live right next door to a Li'l Kim with nuclear weapons? China, Russia and South Korea are the only countries within range of the only reliable nuclear delivery systems Li'l Kim has.

You know, a really big freakin' truck.

I don't think China is concerned about the NorKs nuking Beijing - they are concerned about TOO MUCH destabilization of the region.

China has always supported the NorKs, IMO, because it kept South Korea, Japan, AND the US off-balance. It is in NOBODY's best interests for 'lil kim to start popping off nukes. Therefore, China is trying to reign him in.

I'm sure this will all blow over without a shot being fired, and we will go back to the same old status quo we've seen for the past 60+ years (if not, it will be a very short, very violent war, resulting in the deaths of very many Koreans (both North and South).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post